Glucosamine Supplements

cactus

I notice it comes in different forms, and some have extra additives, eg:

Potassium15mgGlucosamine Sulfate250mgMSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)250mgChondroitin Sulphate200mgVitamin C50mgCitrus Bioflavonoids50mgZinc2mgManganese1mgCopper166ug

Are there any that dogs cant have? Does it matter if its human grade?

I have only just started looking, because my vet has suggested NSAIDs for my old girl, but I'd rather go natural if I can, as its not like she's crippled or anything.

Had the same type question in regards to my Boxer. One of the DOL'ers recommended the Nutralife MSM Glucosamine Chondroitin Joint Food. Found it quite easily at my health food store.

NSAIDs used over a long period can cause side effects of gastro-intestinal bleeding, liver/kidney dysfunction and can even contibute to joint damage.

Chondrotin facilitates the entry of Glucosamine into the joint, whilst Glucosamine helps rebuild cartilage & synovial fluid within the joint and reduces the inflammation in the joints, reducing swelling and pain.

www.naturalcare.com.au

My old girl can't have NSAIDS anymore because of intestinal bleeding and liver problems due to long term use of them. As her intestines are still quite sensitive she can't tolerate glucosamine at the moment, but Evening Primrose Oil has worked wonders on her arthritis pain. She's a kelpie and I give her 1000mg per day and am gradually working it up to 2000 mg before winter. Of course if she would just slow down a bit I'm sure she'd get even more relief.

We use ProflamAid Plus.

The website is ProflamAid Plus

I copy and pasted this from them:

Assists in maintaining healthy cartilage, tendons, muscles and bone and has a role in wound healing and the maintenance of normal healthy joints.

The nutrients contained in this formula have a role in general metabolism and red blood cell formation, act as an antioxidant, and assists in maintaining normal nitrogen balance in tissues.

Does not contain Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulphate or Devils Claw.

It's a powder. I put a teaspoon in his tucker every night. I reckon it works. :rofl:

Edited by squirtydog

We have just launched a new joint product that contains glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate as well as other important co-factors, and is the only dog joint health product that also contains MSM. The product is called Joint Guard for Dogs and has been specially formulated for dogs, so the ratio of glucosamine to chondroitin sulfate is ideal, whereas the human products have been formulated for humans who require a different ratio.

We also studied whether glucosamine hydrochloride or sulfate is better for dogs and the hydrochloride form is much better absorbed, this may be different in humans but in dogs hydrochloride is the way to go. It is also important for maximum effect to have almost equal amounts of glucosamine to chondroitin in dogs. Chondroitin is a very expensive ingredient so you will find the cheaper products to have much less, Joint Guard for Dogs has 1000mg Glucosamine and 800mg Chondroitin sulfate per scoop (it is in a powder form).

Be wary of any of the marine-based products, they do not contain purified glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate, in fact they contain very little at all, just read the label, and because they have not been purified they are in fact extremely large molecules that are difficult for your dog's body to absorb. A study was done on this and showed only 0-8% of the GAGs found in green lipped mussel were actually absorbed! I am not telling you this to put down anyone else's product, i just think it is worth noting when you compare what you are getting for your money!

If you are interested in our new product it is now available from most online stores and will soon be available in all vets and pet shops.

Cheers

Janelle

We have just launched a new joint product that contains glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate as well as other important co-factors, and is the only dog joint health product that also contains MSM. The product is called Joint Guard for Dogs and has been specially formulated for dogs, so the ratio of glucosamine to chondroitin sulfate is ideal, whereas the human products have been formulated for humans who require a different ratio.

We also studied whether glucosamine hydrochloride or sulfate is better for dogs and the hydrochloride form is much better absorbed, this may be different in humans but in dogs hydrochloride is the way to go. It is also important for maximum effect to have almost equal amounts of glucosamine to chondroitin in dogs. Chondroitin is a very expensive ingredient so you will find the cheaper products to have much less, Joint Guard for Dogs has 1000mg Glucosamine and 800mg Chondroitin sulfate per scoop (it is in a powder form).

Be wary of any of the marine-based products, they do not contain purified glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate, in fact they contain very little at all, just read the label, and because they have not been purified they are in fact extremely large molecules that are difficult for your dog's body to absorb. A study was done on this and showed only 0-8% of the GAGs found in green lipped mussel were actually absorbed! I am not telling you this to put down anyone else's product, i just think it is worth noting when you compare what you are getting for your money!

If you are interested in our new product it is now available from most online stores and will soon be available in all vets and pet shops.

Cheers

Janelle

Thankyou Janelle! That information is very interesting, thankyou for sharing it :D

Unfortunately I've had computer woes since posting, and I went and bought a tub of powder at the chemist this arvo. There was one that had more glucosamine, but it had far less chondroitin 1000/200 per 15grams this one has 750/600 per 15 grams. I didnt have the information you gave in your post at the time, but I had a feeling I should go for the higher chondroitin. :cry: Oh its got MSM too750 per 15g.

I dont know how much I should be giving her- her condition would be classed as mild I guess. I gave her 10g tonight, and figured I'd giver her 5g morning and night hereafter. She weighs about 34kg. I'll keep my eye out for your product when this one has run out :love:

Had the same type question in regards to my Boxer. One of the DOL'ers recommended the Nutralife MSM Glucosamine Chondroitin Joint Food. Found it quite easily at my health food store.

I was going to order that really cheap from an online pharmacy, but my pc has been playing up and I was at the chemist, so I got one called MSM joint formula. I hope it works, because she's becoming quite an irritable little biatch (just like her mum). :D

NSAIDs used over a long period can cause side effects of gastro-intestinal bleeding, liver/kidney dysfunction and can even contibute to joint damage.

Chondrotin facilitates the entry of Glucosamine into the joint, whilst Glucosamine helps rebuild cartilage & synovial fluid within the joint and reduces the inflammation in the joints, reducing swelling and pain.

www.naturalcare.com.au

Thanks for that info Annedal, I know what NSAIDs do to me, and I wouldn't want the worry that she was going through it and I was oblivious :cry: I'll cross that NSAID bridge if and when she ever gets so bad that the natural stuff doesnt work.

Fish oil is also useful for painful old joints.

They both get a little cod liver oil in their diets, but not enough to treat arthritis. I always try to err on the side of caution with supplements, and would rather give too little than too much ( they are on a very nutritious diet as well anyway). Do you know how much would be considered a therapeutic level?