Bite

the club isnt very well run my dog stops before biting the toy and doesnt bite properly

Do you have the option of joining another club that is better run and with instructors who are more qualified to assist? IMO this kind of sport is not something you 'toy' with and it bothers me that having instructors who may not know what they should well enough, might lead to a dog with indiscriminant biting behaviour.

Edited by Erny

what club are you a member of?

how olds your dog?

what "toy" are you using for bite work?

can you talk to your dogs breeder about your concerns?

forgot to add:

are you the one whos doing the bite work with your dog or is there a helper?

and to add a few more probing questions:

what do you mean by not biting properly? Front bite or hesitation?

How old is your dog

What training has it had so far (obedience or otherwise) and at what stage is your dog at? Has it been chastised for this sort of behaviour before?

At 4 months your dog is just a baby, so I wouldn't worry. What you might find useful is K9 Force's Training in Drive - as his drive training builds and utilises prey drive and uses toy motivators. This builds desire for the toy (ball or tug) - which is what you are trying to do with the jute tug. You can do a lot of this yourself at home without the use of a helper (building drive).

Has your club suggested anything?

Destroys everything? As in chewing stuff in your house you don't want him to? If this is the case, supervise when you are home and you can redirect to appropriate chewing items.

Is your pup crate trained?

you have a high drive dog and needs a lot of stimulation. I know how you feel I have a Malinois. Either Crate train or build a large concrete enclosed run for the dog when it cant be supervised. Make sure you have lots of toys like Kongs and a company called Aussie Dog Toys makes indestructable toys for strong dogs.

At 4 months your puppy should not really be doing a sleeve yet as its teeth are not ready and probably teething is making it hesitant to bite as its gums are tender. Play with rolled up towls etc and get him to chase them. Make sure he is not tethered. Run and call the dog to get the towl, flap it around etc when he grabs it, stop and praise him. DO NOT PULL or if it causes pain he wont want to bite. Shutzhund takes time do not rush your dog or you will cause him to shy more. Just stand still and let him tug as much as he wants. You can teach him to OUT at this stage as well if you like, some dont want to teach it till later but I know Ring and KNVP teach out early as well.

Try these articles before you continue too much furthur:

http://www.leerburg.com/articles.htm#workpup

http://www.leerburg.com/articles.htm#sch

http://www.leerburg.com/philosophy.htm

Remember pups develop differently. Your dog is a BABY. You wouldnt expect a toddler to ride a bike so dont expect a puppy to be able to start full on shutzhund. My Mal bitch was a late bloomer and you need to build confidence or your dog will be more reluctant to work for you. There is no rule that says schuthund dogs must be puppies to start, I have seen 2yo GSDs start and do quite well. If you need any more help PM me and me or some of my contacts can give you a hand,

J

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you based? Some of us may be able to recommend some schools for you to go to. It would also help if you told us which school you're already with. As Jeff has offered, you could PM him with the details if you don't want to put that out on a public forum. Are you still with them, or training on your own?

Edited by Erny

:confused: i have tried contacting this person in regards to there dog several times now and got no reply :thumbsup:

its hard to offer advice on the information given so far,

you say theres hesitation in the bite? as in the pup runs up and stops for a second before biting?

or the pup isnt biting straight away when presented with the prey item?

the dog isnt biting correctly? weak grip, only a front mouth bite?

a few little excersises you can try when the helper (or yourself) is enticing your pup to bite the prey item

have the person with the prey item continually moving backwards this encourages your dog to keep moving to get the bite ( i think you mean your dogs hesitating because the decoys standing still so the pup runs up and stops then takes the bite? this will help for either hesitation scenarios)

you could also try instead of having the prey item directly infront of you have it presented more onto your left or right hand side this makes it less intimidating for the pup to run into you to get the bite.

if your pup isnt biting correctly you need to give him a chance to counter and for the decoy to place the item on a more desirable angle for the pup to bite, timing is very important

thats only a few scenarios from what i guessed your dog is doing different schutzhund members will have different views on the way to train your dog. i tried to keep it simple for you to understand

But for any furthr training advice you really need to be a seeking information from a schutzhund club thats willing to help you there are various clubs in each state even tho you might have to travel abit longer to get to one if you swap clubs

schutzhund australia

Jeff - with the lack of response we're getting, I can't help feeling that the OP is trying to train the dog up on his own. I hope not - this is a bad move if you don't know what you're doing. Can turn the dog into a random biter and consequently a dangerous dog.

sfg-shep - I'm sorry if I've got you wrong, but you're not being very forthcoming with info even though you ask for our help and we're trying to give it to you. :thumbsup:

i cannot help but think the same thing erny,

sfg-shep you have 100 times more to learn than your dog. and you need someone who is experienced to guide you through the training process, as you have found out using an in-experienced decoy it has lead to undesirable traits in your dog already.

please for the welfare of yourself, your dog, and the general public seek assistance from an accredited club or trainer

once again if you have any questions you can contact me