Overgrown Sheltie

Im not sure i have mentioned this yet but the breeder that i got my new sheltie Lana from was getting rid of her because she got too big. (she is about 15 1/4" > quite a bit bigger than the other shelties at doggy school :laugh:)

Anyway > this doesnt matter to me because im not planning on showing her > she is a pet.

Both of her parents are normal sized (although dad is a canadian imp. > still smaller though - 14 1/2")

Her breeder fed her on mostly chicken and i am still feeding her on a lot of chicken > but i was thinking today about all of the growth hormones that go into chickens! Is it possible that a puppy fed on this will grow bigger than usual? I know that you can give people growth hormones while they are still growing to make them taller... could this be the case in dogs?

Anyway > just an interesting thought... what are your opinions?

Going a tad outside my "field" on this one, so I set this down as a "thought" only, too.

What age was Lana when she was desexed? I believe that bones keep growing more than they otherwise would if a dog was to remain intact.

I have no idea how many inches the standards declare a female Sheltie should be ... so it might be too far fetched to think it could relate to desexing?

I would also guess that there's the tall and short in most things. I guess knowing Lana's ancestory (not just the immediate parentage) might give a hint as to whether there was some "tall" thrown into the genetics somewhere along the way?

I think the standard for girls is around 14" but in the states it is set at 16" for shelties... so it is very possible that some of the dogs on her dads side could have been taller. I havnt desexed her yet > i only got her a couple weeks ago. I know that this overgrown thing happens a bit with shelties >< also shelties that are too small. It could just be a throwback... not sure

Hi

I have seen a few Shelties out of American and Canadian lines to Australian Lines and they have been very big.

I would think given her Canadian heritage that is where her size has come from.

I wouldnt worry about the chicken you are feeding your girl in the least.

Her genetic make up makes her a big girl not the food she has been fed.

There is no need to be concerned about growth hormones in chicken. Any line of dogs is capable of producing the odd few that are not correct size.

Wylie is spot on, there are some BIG shelties about, your girl is big because of her genes.

It can happen in any breed...every so often a pup will grow noticibly bigger then both parents - which can be upsetting to those crossing their fingers that the stunner of a pup will remain within the standard height range :laugh:

It's just one of those things that can happen.

I agree we have had some really tiny shelties fully grown 11 inches. I also know of some that have been bred small like this have produced some dogs that have all made it to perfect size and some have gone big.

I'm crossing fingers that my Lucy will make it to size and not go over she's 5 months and 13 inches.. but if she doesnt it make it for confirmation well then it's of to obedience and agility for her :laugh:

Edited by Owned by Shelties

Owned by Shelties, he is Shelton from N.Z. on his sires side and Shadtree, Aanara, and Hillacre on his dam's.

At the time he was born I understood the breeder from Shelton to say he was only the 6th she had come across in NZ in her 30 odd years of breeding.

Bridgiecat, no its not bad, its just that they are few and far between both in NZ and here. They are more popular in the US and Canada and also in Europe. There have been a few bred here and there is currently a bitch in Sydney with US bloodlines and another with English.

They dont do so well in the show ring a.t.m as most judges simply dont know what to do when they see one, one in Syd. is owned by a judge.

Perhaps in the future we will see more.

Only if you know that there is a bi-factored dog or bitch in the pedigree.

I tried to add a photo yesterday but mine are too big, how do I downsize?.

try pixresizer you can download the free program and then resize lol

Im not sure i have mentioned this yet but the breeder that i got my new sheltie Lana from was getting rid of her because she got too big. (she is about 15 1/4" > quite a bit bigger than the other shelties at doggy school :shrug:)

Anyway > this doesnt matter to me because im not planning on showing her > she is a pet.

Both of her parents are normal sized (although dad is a canadian imp. > still smaller though - 14 1/2")

Her breeder fed her on mostly chicken and i am still feeding her on a lot of chicken > but i was thinking today about all of the growth hormones that go into chickens! Is it possible that a puppy fed on this will grow bigger than usual? I know that you can give people growth hormones while they are still growing to make them taller... could this be the case in dogs?

Anyway > just an interesting thought... what are your opinions?

Hi everybody my friend owns 3 shelties and they are all oversize. My friend feeds hers chicken carcasses and that's all. they all do obedience,agility and jumping. There is heaps of shelties at Warringal dog club. My friend has a theory on why hers are oversized. She thinks they grow to their full potenial due to their long walks and nutrition. she has owned 6 shelties and they have all been oversized, however all their parents have been the correct size. Her oldest is 12 then 8 and 5. They all do well in trials and they are gorgeous. Go shelties lol :thumbsup: