Stingy, Ignorant Do-gooders

cactus

I seriously avoid seeing much less talking to anyone when I go to the dog park these days.

Forget all the dumb, nay completely reckless and insane advice I get regarding *training* dogs: people have the bare-faced gall to tell me that a BARF diet is not healthy and that dogs like biscuits and why do I try to spoil them....

But- this guy took the cake last week- He has a great dane that he feeds a can of pal and a couple of cups of white rice with table scraps a day (hows that for nutritious!!) this dane has been on this diet for a year now, since he got it from a shelter at 1 year of age. Well you think thats bad?? Now he has obtained a second dane (a 10 month harl) - he's one of them "giant danes" you know- not the standard size. Good grief. :love: Now guess what he's discovered?? There's a supermarket dog food that has calcium added- its called... bloody plain brand. :D: OMG he has NO IDEA about danes at all- despite having a years experience owning one. And now he has dominance issues with the new dog, its boisterous and destructive, and he went to look at a THIRD dane a week after he got it!!!! Those poor, poor dogs.

:love: do you mean the mad cat? He seems fatter than before.

As for the guy- he can barely fit his two dogs in his tiny hatch back (and one hasn't reached full size yet) so a 3rd dog would be completely insane. He has a small home (from what he says) the dogs live outside. I guess if he's prepared to lie to the shelter he'd be prepared to decieve the council. I doubt he'll get it though- he cant afford or handle the two he has. They're more of a.. I dont know how to put it- but a status thing? He is always the centre of attention because of his danes and he speaks with great authority on the breed (well both breeds- the standard and the giant :D )

Bah- the system wont allow the cat- its less than 3kb and only 41 pixels high (and its taller than it is wide) but there ya go :) Elmo rocks anyway :)

Edited by cactus

Cactus, I hate to say this, but *most* ppl that have a dog or dogs are like this bloke: ignorant and foolish. :vomit:

It's just one reason why I didn't stay working at the shelter...I didn't appreciate all the dumb-arse ideas/comments/notions out there in the dog-owning community. These ppl shouldn't have dogs as pets, the most they could hope for is a pet rock...but there is no exam to pass before obtaining a dog. Too sad. :mad

Cactus, unfortunately it is impossible to educate MUGS. Some people are born with the "ignorance" gene and they are simply a lost cause and unfortunately it's their pets that are made to suffer!!

The ex-hubby of a friend of mine owns 3 maremmas and wait for it.....he feeds them baked beans with canned tuna and boiled rice every single day as he doesn't believe in pet food and to that I say Hurray but I don't think he has gone about a natural diet in the correct way, he has been told repeatedly by his ex-wife but still insists that this is the way to feed a dog and from what I have been told the maremmas are looking very thin and it's no wonder!!!

I don't even reply when people ask me what I feed my dog anymore (BTW its BARF). I am so tired of having to justify it and explain my reasons for doing it. As for 'spoiling' your dog by preparing and feeding BARF, I think you are 'spoiling' them by NOT giving it to them. So when people tell me how shiny his coat is, clear his eyes are, clean his teeth are etc I just say 'thankyou'. ....and kinda think to myself 'hmmmm, all things you CAN'T get out of a bloody can! There are just some people who can't be told or who don't want to know. A can of PAL? Yuk! :vomit: Would rather cut up offal anyday than touch that cr*p!

Hell...there are a few people that tell me i'm spoiling my dogs because they get Royal Canin with a side of raw... I've been told that all i need to feed is Pal...after all it's what breeders and showies use...(according to advertising etc)

KitKat - I am not trying to start an argument here but doesn't Royal Canin contain BHT, BHA and ETHOXYQUIN in the form of preservatives?

Perhaps you could tell me if you find those preservatives listed in a bag of royal canin that you have in stock? I know that they once used them but I am not sure whether this is still the case.

I keep my pantry stocked with a few tins of Natures Gift for the dogs, and Dine singles for the cats, for emergencies (normally all are on a BARF diet). Whenever I get my emergency supplies from the supermarket, I get comments from people looking in my trolley that my pets are 'really spoilt' and why dont I just buy Pal/Homebrand? Errrghhhhh :vomit:

If I ever feel brave enough to explain my pets 'normal' diet to them, I *always* get 'but bones are bad for dogs/cats" and "raw meat makes them sick" (plus a look of amazement at the fruit/veg/grains element). I always think that the Pal etc advertisers must have done a great job to make people believe that real food is "bad" for your pets, while "mush-in-a-can" is "good". I expect they've won many awards for deceiving a nation ....

It's similar to the way infant formula companies made so many babies sick by promoting the idea that formula is better than mother's milk - particularly in the poorer places, where the mothers would dry up and not have their own milk, and be unable to afford the formula, and so would water it down and the babies would be malnourished. Unfortunately the huge companies have more resources to (mis)inform than the people who believe in forms of feeding in which there are not immense profits. The infant formula got to be a public health issue but there is not the same interest in animal welfare.

Edited by sidoney

Pleading ignorance here but can someone please explain to me what exactly is a barf diet?? I have heard alot of DOLers talking about it and I take it that it is generally a natural diet but would like to know exactly what it entails? I currently feed raw meats chicken, beef and lamb (we are on a farm so all is home grown except the chicken) occasionally steamed deboned white fish, rice, veggies and dry food. I NEVER under any circumstances feed can food of any description not only as I believe it to be unhealthy with no sustanence (mostly just jelly with the occasional chunk of questionable meat) but it also makes the dogs fart and stink!! :vomit: and I'm yet to meet a dog that can use a can opener.

I have always tried my best to feed my dogs well but prior to joining DOL I had not heard of BARF and if there is more I can do for my dogs I want to try. Thanks in advance.

BMP..........I used Nature's Gift cans sometimes but haven't since the last can smelt of ammonia....eergghh! I let one of the dogs smell it and he turned away so it ended in the bin.

My two get a very mixed diet...................sometimes canned, sometimes Barf, sometimes dry but I won't buy home brand or cheap nasty food.

I was amazed at Woolworths a few days ago. At the Deli counter I asked for the usual couple kilos of chicken necks (or carcasses) and the woman beside me did the same. The woman serving gave us a lecture on how we were doing the pet food companies out of business................WTF! :vomit:

I dont think the question is who should eat better- the human or the dog, because although I have a crap diet, that's my choice. I have to make that choice for my dogs, so I give them the best I can given my financial circumstances at the time. I calculated the cost of my dogs BARF diet when finances were good, and it equalled the cost of feeding Eukanuba. They never eat crap, because when a box of 40 chicken frames only costs $5.00 I figure how hard up can you be to feel the need to buy home brand dog food?

My cat has special needs so his diet is predominantly prawns and blue whiting and he eats some premium kibble and a bit of canned food. It might seem expensive, but he doesn't eat it by the kilo and the alternative is allow him to crash and then be PTS.