Training In Drive Workshop At K9 Force Saturday 6 May

K9: after a week, ask Lablover how often this dog just hangs around....

Maybe I should start a training diary on DOL. Titled something like "Day to day training of Yank" by BORING Lablover, or "Day to day training of Yuck (when he is naughty), LOL.

Mind you, that way, we could all have input in his training and it may interest some????

I have no problem detailing my mistakes.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gosh all you guys sound so knowledgeable ....

K9: Ahh its all a bluff...

I'm going to be a real ameture at the 26th workshop Steve!

K9: me too!

I hope the 26th has a "training for dummies" section

K9: yes there will be, I be paying attention there myself....

You be fine, we all talk like that as we have spent time together... You be talking BS in 5 mins after the workshop :rolleyes:

I'm getting my new pup soon :rolleyes: and plan to train in prey drive.

Should I also hold off the NILIF like Lablover?

I think Diesel is more pack oriented than anything else. Well, his prey isn't off the scales anyway! I am getting good focus with TOT and getting attention before walks and before coming in the house, going in the car. Other dogs are proving to be the biggest distraction, he wants to play . . .

Did my first prey drive development session with the 6 mnth old BC foster (probably foster?) that arrived today ... she switched on to the moving object virtually straight away, chased, caught and tugged several times. Enthusiastically. A good start.

K: Should I also hold off the NILIF like Lablover?

K9: It depends if Prey drive is the dogs PRIMARY drive...

S: Did my first prey drive development session with the 6 mnth old BC foster (probably foster?) that arrived today ... she switched on to the moving object virtually straight away, chased, caught and tugged several times. Enthusiastically. A good start.

K9: It should be worth seeing how she is after a week of nothing else...

Being a working Kelpie, Kavik, there is a good chance it will be. :rolleyes:

My guess would be seeing how the pup responds. I have seen that Xia gets more high about prey items than food ... she loves food but prey items are more exciting to her.

Steve would be the one to know about Zoe's aggression in those circumstances ... but prey drive is not aggression and from what I've learned so far, a properly structured drive development and training programme would not have aggression issues related with it.

K9: after a week, ask Lablover how often this dog just hangs around....

The Nilif will be no ball for wrong behaviour...

I will ask, Lablover the idea of the dairy is excellent one. Pls do it, if you dont want to for public use Ill have a private copy.

I cant help it that you dont understand... :rofl: but then again it isnt your dog.... :rofl:

A good teacher should be able to explain stuff to a dumb student :rolleyes:

Just to clarify I wasnt thinking about my current dog. :rofl:

Keep in mind that the NILIF program, my version of it, is very effective for most dogs, nit all dogs....

Gillian - you will be speaking the K9 Force native time in no time, that is if you learn fast :rofl:

Edited by myszka

K9,

Just a question about building drive, you suggested to Lablover to be building drive in quarantine etc but I thought the other day you mentioned to someone not to build drive if the dog was crazy in drive naturally (I could have this wrong though, my hearing is on par with a 85yo I think). If this was right, does it depend on what you want to do with the dog?

The actual question I have is if you build drive and can get focus and results, do you then continue to build drive and frustration again to get quicker results or you just improve the focus to do this, do you just maintain the level of drive the dog works in or is there a maximum level of prey drive that a dog will work in and that is what you get after a couple of weeks anyway?

K9: It depends if Prey drive is the dogs PRIMARY drive...

Which is primary in SAR, pack drive is vital but so is prey. I would imagine prey drive is the primary drive but pack drive is highly utilised so would hold off on NILIF?

Lablover,

I would be interested in seeing an online diary for sure as well!

Ta

Edited by Latisha

K: How am I going to know this?

K9: at the workshop I explained how to determine drives, tests the dogs prey drive & food drive, work in the best drive...

K: Zoe gets more worked up over a prey item too, but then she turns into a total cow

K9: one of three things, 1. lack of drive, 2. nerve problem, 3 history of training in drive inconsistent...

M: A good teacher should be able to explain stuff to a dumb student

K9: Im nothing more than a member here.... not a teacher at all...

Lat: Just a question about building drive, you suggested to Lablover to be building drive in quarantine etc but I thought the other day you mentioned to someone not to build drive if the dog was crazy in drive naturally (I could have this wrong though, my hearing is on par with a 85yo I think). If this was right, does it depend on what you want to do with the dog?

K9: Hmm no your hearing must have let you down, I would build drive with any dog, no matter how manic it is to start with.

One benefit (of many) is that it teaches the dog that being in full drive peak near the handler is ok, traditional training often kills that...

LAT: if you build drive and can get focus and results, do you then continue to build drive and frustration again to get quicker results or you just improve the focus to do this,

K9: once you start focus work, to build any more drive is difficult. So build as high as you can, then begin focus, the dog will be quick all on its own...

Lat: do you just maintain the level of drive the dog works in or is there a maximum level of prey drive that a dog will work in and that is what you get after a couple of weeks anyway?

K9: I personally go more than two weeks, 3 - 4 when I start the dog, but many people struggle with two so I quote that.. If you havent got great drive in a young raw dog by then, you will never get it...

lat: Which is primary in SAR, pack drive is vital but so is prey. I would imagine prey drive is the primary drive but pack drive is highly utilised so would hold off on NILIF?

K9: yes prey should be what you use, pack will come all on its own as you own & control the prey...

NB: Remembering that this is just my way, not the only way....