Quick Questions Re Speying

I have my 5 m.o bitch booked in for spey next week.... drop in 1st thing in the morning, pick her up next morning.....

Is this the norm these days? Our bitches have always been in and out same day - including one previously done at this same clinic....

I'm just a little worried to leave her overnight in a cage, she's never been caged before :( Discussed it with receptionists who said its non-negotiable! In fact I almost get the impression she'll get done when they get around to it.... "don't know what time she'll be done, depends on how busy the vets are and she might not get done until late afternoon" She'll be there from 8 am! :rofl: I'm getting a picture of production line here..... :rofl:

Am I worrying unnecessarily? :rofl: Or is the vet clinic being a little overzealous?

If you think about it, a vet clinic has to contend with many "what if's" during each day. What if someone brings in a MVA victim that needs immediate surgery? What if a dog under anaesthesia reacts badly and needs CPR? What if patients are late arriving and that puts you behind in consults? What if ppl simply walk in off the street with their sick dog/cat/budgie and demand a consult on the spot?

I reckon if you are happy with the vet, then don't worry about this overnight stay. It's probably just to ensure that your girl gets the post-op rest she requires. If she's never been crated, then this is a good way to keep her quiet. :rofl:

HTH. And don't worry - spey is quite routine and with a low risk of complications. But I know it's nerve-wracking all the same. :rofl:

I thought the big alleged advantage of speying babies was that they recovered more quickly?

When have you been told to take away her water? I would be very concerned about the possibility of late afternoon surgery if she is to have no food/water after midnight the night before - very rough on a baby! Having had surgery myself after more than 12 hours fasting, I can honestly say it was dreadful! Talk about head spins...

As I have never had a puppy desexed I cannot say what the usual procedure is, but the timing of the op would concern me more than the overnight stay.

Some vets keep them in overnight, some let them go in the evening.

Personally I like to take them home, but I can understand why some vets would want to keep them in. Desexing is major surgery, and the dog really does need to be kept still and quiet afterwards. Jumping in and out of the car is not a good thing for the dog to be doing, and I don't know of any five month old pups that like to keep still and not jump around, so crating is a very good idea.

It is standard practice for the vets I use, to admit the dogs early in the morning, before morning consultations, and operate after lunch. Desexing is not an emergency, it can be done anytime in the afternoon. The vet doesn't know what emergency operations will come in in the morning, that's why it can be hard to say when the spay will be done. Of course the vet will have to treat any dog that is injured or sick, before doing the desexing.

So don't worry about your girl, she will be sitting safely in her crate before and after the operation. Don't fed your dog after 8.00pm the evening before, so that by the time she has her operation her tummy will be empty. It's not normally a production line, and it's good to know that if somebody has to rush a dog to the vet because something is wrong, that would take precedence over a routine desexing.

If you can borrow a crate from somebody, you have a week to get her used to being in one.

I can't advise about whether or not an overnight stay is normal- I've got a dog and he was in and out in less than a day, but will an overnight stay cost more? Best to know in advance.

I'd not be concerned about the crate- it only looks like a cage to us- for a dog it's a den and your girl will fell more secure as she has her own space. My dog used to complain a little getting into a crate for car travel, then was very settled and content. Perhaps she could have an old blanket or shirt from home, with your scent on it, in her crate to make her feel more secure at the vet's?

Best wishes :rofl:

I got my boy done not that long ago, i wouldnt have agreed to an overnight stay though unless there was a complication, considering the operation is fairly routine these days i would feel more comfortable getting it done by someone who would agree to relase them in the afternoon so i could care for him in the evening, i can see why a vet might want to keep them overnight as they are very groggy when you pick them up but within a few hours my boy was fine and i wouldnt have thought there was much point in him spending anymore time at the vets.

Cheers Andy

I would be concerned leaving her overnight as I know of No surgery which is staffed overnight,

Some vets are staffed overnight, my previous vet always used to have a vet nurse live in who would periodically check animals during the night and call her in if there were any problems. (Vet only lived 5 minutes away)

My vet in Sydney used to send them home the same day but in Griffith they keep them in overnight. I guess it depends on the vet. My kitten is in getting done today and I would have assumed he would be home today but they are keeping him in overnight. Maybe they like to watch them for complications or something.....

Mmmmm I'm still not 100% happy about it but I don't know whether its worth making a big stink out of..... I don't think its worth cancelling over it and trying to get her in somewhere else..... not in a smallish country town and given this clinic is two blocks away!!! :rofl:

LM I dunno whether I'm 100% happy with the clinic - big animal vets are great, have limited experience with little animal vets but the times I've gone in for vacc's with her I haven't found it to be as positive as I would've liked....

Poodle wrangler I haven't asked that question -I know I should but she has to be done and its really non-negotiable if you know what I mean :rofl: But yes I have considered it and chances are I will be hit for more $$$ given she's in overnight..... and I reckon you're also right capanash and hesapandabear - I can't see this clinic being staffed overnight...

Morgan the instructions I've been given is no food no water from 6pm the night before!!!! So if she doesn't get done til late arvo, chances are she won't be interested in a feed til the morning after - 1 1/2 days without food!

Poor little bugger - times like this I wish I got a dog! :rofl:

Morgan the instructions I've been given is no food no water from 6pm the night before!!!! So if she doesn't get done til late arvo, chances are she won't be interested in a feed til the morning after - 1 1/2 days without food!

Poor little bugger - times like this I wish I got a dog!

Poor little bugger is right! Not fair on a young puppy - if they are going to do it like that they should wait til she's a bit older and not needing to be fed twice a day any more! (trying not to display my huge bias against early desexing here :rofl: )

As everyone has said it really depends on the vet and his experiances. I have worked for many different vets and in my experiance sending a desexed bitch home same day does have its risks. You have to realise that spaying a bitch is a major internal surgery. Yes we do it every day so it does become routine but we are still pulling and cutting organs out of the bitch. Yes young dogs do tend to recover quicker then older ones, but a younger dog has more chance of jumping around and ripping sutures out. It is not only the external suture i am talking about it is the internal ones holding your dogs intestines in.

I have see on multiple occasions dogs coming in the morning after the surgery with haematomas the size of cricket balls hanging down from there suture line because owners have not confined the dog properly. I have only once had a lady come running into the clinic about 2 hours after we had sent her dog home holding her dogs stomach which we quickly realised was the only thing stopping the dogs intestine falling completly out. The dog had chewed ALL its suture out.

Some vet would also keep animals over night if they new that the dog owners where real 'worriers' as well. We would arrive to work in the morning to the vet complaining how 'fluffy' the spey from yesterday's owner had called him/her at all hours of the night because the dog was snoring and the dog didnt usually snore and stupid things like that.

Although i can completly understand an owner not wonting to keep there loved pet in a vet clinic overnight by itself, in most cases it is the safest place for your pet to be.

Agree with that - a friend lost her queen when she chewed out all her stitches after a caesarian during the night, basically disembowelled herself - had to handraise all the kittens :rofl:

Thats alright Morgan I understand - normally would've waited until she was 6 months but a few people mentioned as she was growing so fast she might come into season early, and I cannot risk that at all as I have nowhere safe for her to be locked up! I have great fences in normal circumstances but given she's the result of an industrious kelpie climbing/jumping an "unclimable/unjumpable" fence I thought better of it.... plus far too many dogs are left to their own devices in this town! :thumbsup: dog

I figured a month early was a smaller risk than the early season! :D