Triangle Of Temptation

K9: there can be several reasons for this, but none of them are normal, as you can read here.

The way that your implementing the program / the way your interpreting your dog being "sad".

The level of dominance in your dog

The environment

Your expectations vs level of training your dog has & many more... Make sure your following the program exactly.

K9: there can be several reasons for this, but none of them are normal, as you can read here.

The way that your implementing the program / the way your interpreting your dog being "sad".

The level of dominance in your dog

The environment

Your expectations vs level of training your dog has & many more... Make sure your following the program exactly.

ok, so i definitely did it as normal, but he was acting weird cause he was sick. :/

i didnt take him to the vet because after he slept for a little bit, he was fine again.

[[if it happens again i'm gonna take him]]

can not feeding him all day then feeding make him sick?

cause he was throwing up and idk if it was cause of that..

• 2 months later...

Hi K9 Force.

A few questions before I start on this program.

1. Can I start at any age? My pup is 12.5 weeks old.

Prepare the meal inside & this should be done after all higher members have eaten. Your dog will learn, through positive results in this program that being tied out will end in drive satisfaction ie: Positive reinforcement. This is good if you have a dog that whines on a tie out.

Allow your dog to relax on the back tie, a few minutes is usually enough. Don't go out to a whining dog.

What if my dog doesn't relax after a few minutes. Do I just keep waiting? For how long? How do I end if he's still whining after 1 hour?

3. Can I use a clicker for marking 'yes' instead of the verbal 'yes'. My dog has already started on clicker training (which seems to be working well by the way).

4. I'm pretty sure I can follow the instructions...is there any critical crucial mistakes I could make that might be very hard to undo?

What do I do if he never goes out of 'full food drive'

5. "Always go inside when you release the dog"

Anyway around this - I don't have a secure yard?

Many thanks.

B: Hi K9 Force.

A few questions before I start on this program.

1. Can I start at any age? My pup is 12.5 weeks old.

K9: yep sure can any age at all.

B: What if my dog doesn't relax after a few minutes. Do I just keep waiting? For how long? How do I end if he's still whining after 1 hour?

K9: is the dog actually doing any of this or do you think the dog might?

B: 3. Can I use a clicker for marking 'yes' instead of the verbal 'yes'. My dog has already started on clicker training (which seems to be working well by the way).

K9: yep sure can though it does allocate success being marked by the clicker rather than you. Any dog doing well on the clicker would do just as well with ther verbal marker of yes, but essentially you can use a clicker, yes.

B: 4. I'm pretty sure I can follow the instructions...is there any critical crucial mistakes I could make that might be very hard to undo?

K9: no.

B: What do I do if he never goes out of 'full food drive'

K9: no such dog.

B: Anyway around this - I don't have a secure yard?

K9: feed in the garage or inside house. Its essential for the Alpha to leave the food for the lower pack members to eat without being respectful of the Alpha.

B: What if my dog doesn't relax after a few minutes. Do I just keep waiting? For how long? How do I end if he's still whining after 1 hour?

K9: is the dog actually doing any of this or do you think the dog might?

OK - point taken...he might...by your reply I guess you're saying 'he won't' :-)

B: Anyway around this - I don't have a secure yard?

K9: feed in the garage or inside house. Its essential for the Alpha to leave the food for the lower pack members to eat without being respectful of the Alpha.

OK - I live in an apartment no garage. I've got lots of unfenced grounds but nothing that's completely fenced. I'm worried if I leave him outside, while I go inside, he'll wander off the property. I'll have to think about this - I'm not sure I've got enough room in the apartment to satisfy the other requirements.

Thanks heaps for the reponses.

L: OK - point taken...he might...by your reply I guess you're saying 'he won't' :-)

K9: lets plan for success, not prepare for failure is a good rule of thumb... :rolleyes:

L: OK - I live in an apartment no garage. I've got lots of unfenced grounds but nothing that's completely fenced. I'm worried if I leave him outside, while I go inside, he'll wander off the property. I'll have to think about this - I'm not sure I've got enough room in the apartment to satisfy the other requirements.

Thanks heaps for the reponses.

K9: I have seen this done in a dog crate, also you can back tie him twice, one long line to a ground stake, the other a 6 foot leash to something solid, when released only release the 6 foot... :laugh: Not so hard...

K9: I have seen this done in a dog crate, also you can back tie him twice, one long line to a ground stake, the other a 6 foot leash to something solid, when released only release the 6 foot... :laugh: Not so hard...

Bingo.

Can't wait to try this out with my three. My two older dogs do sit and wait for their food until I say OK but I am going to implement the method exactly as prescribed so I get full control. It will be very helpful for my new AMstaff pup!! So I know I have to feed the three dogs separately so no distractions--does it matter what order-oldest to youngest dog??

K9: yes best too, otherwise some meals free, some cost obedience & attention will high light the triangle as "expensive place to eat".

Ahh ok makes perfect sense-will continue at all meals!!

• 2 weeks later...

i have a question for k9,

i have a 2 yr rotty bitch, at trialing stage BUT

when i take away the food for training she lags behind !

when im training i use heaps of voice praise and train with high energy myself and she responds well BUT when in the trial ring you cant use any of these methods and she lags behind , i use praise and rewards in training and all works well but as i said enter the trial ring and she lags ! i have had 2 high drive bitches in the past and trialed sucsessfully but this bitch is very lazy and i carnt get her motivated in the ring ?

B: i have a question for k9,

i have a 2 yr rotty bitch, at trialing stage BUT

when i take away the food for training she lags behind !

when im training i use heaps of voice praise and train with high energy myself and she responds well BUT when in the trial ring you cant use any of these methods and she lags behind , i use praise and rewards in training and all works well but as i said enter the trial ring and she lags ! i have had 2 high drive bitches in the past and trialed sucsessfully but this bitch is very lazy and i carnt get her motivated in the ring ?

K9: there is a communication problem (in which the tot can help). Your dog needs to see the food or the high energy from you to be triggered into drive.

This means that you do not own the trigger & as you can see this needs to be fixed.

Its more of a training in drive problem than a TOT issue although as I said the TOT can help.

Try looking up my training in drive thread & see if that helps, this isnt something I can solve easily over the net though...

I have the same problem with Diesel, though I think it is partly my body language and nervousness.

i blame nerves also, but my bitch plays on the fact there is no food reward in the ring and almost looks at me and says "make me" i need to get her to want to trial for me with or without a reward (in the ring) my training buddys watch me in the ring just to see what shes going to do today :thumbsup:

What has been suggested to me and I am going to try is put treat bag on the ground, get focus, then release and run to treat bag to reward, then build up to heeling etc as a way to get rewards off my body.

Edited by Kavik

Not strictly TOT but my 11 week old BC keeps stealing the orbee on a rope out of my cupboard. Think she wants to do some training in drive :laugh: . She will stare at it ever so intently if you hold it. Might have to get her a baby one :D .