Bitten Lip Hanging Off

As some of you might know Kovu was bitten quite badly by one of the dogs from over the back fence. Yesterday I took him to the vet as it was badly infected dispite being flushed out a few times a day with salty water. He was given anti-biotics and I hope they'll clear him up otherwise he'll need to be operated on :rofl:

The problem is, yesterday when he went to the vet, the lip had a hole in it, but it was still joined at both ends, if you know what I mean...but now it's only hanging on by one end. He's been crated to rest as he has a temperature as well so he must have done it to himself :rofl:

Is this going to make healing impossible? I'm worried that because it's now hanging off the skin wont repair correctly and he'll end up with a rather crooked lip. He probably wont be too fussed about it, but it wont look too pretty and I'd like to save it if possible.

Any thoughts?

I can get a photo if that helps :rofl:

A bit of what? :rofl:

I did ask the vet while I was in there yesterday what was going to be done, and he thought it would heal on it's own, but that was while it was still attached at both ends, now I'm worried that it wont because it's only attached at one end.

He seems to be feeling a bit better this afternoon, not as miserable, so hopefully the anti-biotics are helping to clean it up a bit.

Sheks, it doesnt sound very hopeful, the only way the tear is going to join up is if it is stitched back on, and that could be an issue with the infection. The bit hanging off might need to be removed.

Check with the vet about the possibilites of stitching it back, you might be lucky. Either way it wont really affect the dogs health once its healed.

Yes, I asked about stitching and the vet said it couldn't be done because of the infection. Looks like I'll have to wait for the infection to clear and then hopefully have him stitched up. There goes a whole bunch of money for anesthetic. So pissed of with that frigging guy's dogs, my poor Kovu :rofl:

Try not to worry too much, if worst comes to worst, he wont miss a bit of gum. These things happen with lively dogs. Cat's are worse I think, there's nothing more dissapointing than having a beautiful cat with a torn ear, not a good look. :rofl:

Shek the hanging piece probably isn't viable now, I would have it removed, it will probably speed up the healing process if you do.

Lips are a pain in the butt when they are injured.

Stitching can only be done on fresh wounds; so this hanging piece will be cut off cleanly by the vet. It will then heal quickly as there is good blood supply to the lips. Hopefully it won't look too bad.... may make him look mean, though! ;) :)

I'm just doing what the vet said to do, they wanted to give it a chance to heal, but that was when it was still attached. The infection is clearing up really fast which is good for Kovu at least. I'll give them a call tomorrow and will have to take him in again for the op I guess.

And then I'm going to go and kick this guy in the nuts.

:laugh: Sounds nasty - poor thing.

Take soem nice close up photos and send then to the council - it might just get their attention. While youy are at it send them the bill too (it won't wqork but it wil push the point :rofl: )

I don't have a camera, I'm borrowing one from my mother tomorrow, the infection has pretty much cleared so it's not as gory as it was :laugh:

I'm having one of the dog rangers come out here on Thursday as I have a note from the vet, which I will be photocopying before I hand it over as well as the current vet bill which is $60. Will be calling the vet tomorrow and discussing an operation as Nadia has said the skin will most likely need to be removed, I would imagine anesthetic costs and the operation to be around $150 or more?

I sure hope I don't have to pay all that, because I can't exactly afford that right now, luckily my vets are very good and should put it on an account for me should this guy not have to pay up :rofl:

An update from the vet today...

he still seems to think that the wound will heal and close over on it's own :rofl: Kovu is going to be getting a few more days of anti-biotics, just to make sure it is totally cleared, and if it doesn't heal up within a couple of weeks they're going to put staples in to help it along.

Great news for Kovu, and I can breathe a huge sigh of relief that he doesn't have to be at risk under anesthetic :laugh:

he still seems to think that the wound will heal and close over on it's own :hitself:

Without seeing the wound (and perhaps even if I could!) it's difficult to say, but the Vet might be thinking that 'proud flesh' will fill it in a bit. Maybe?

Anyway - I'm glad for you and Kovu that things may well not turn out to be as bad as they could have been. Sorry that you've had the woes with your neighbour's dogs that caused the situation in the first place.

Hi Shekhina,

I know what you are going through. Asky the vet's receptionist for a copy of the account or if you have the vet's account get a photo copy and send it to this guy at the back of you.

Once the antibiotics work the lip should be able to be stitched. Lips on dogs usually heal rather quickly. Just don't do anything stupid to this idiot guy that lives behind you.

Arfryn.