Ok, What Are Ccd & Udx Classes?

So what are the new CCD & UDX classes that I have seen mentioned? ;) When I last trialled (more than 9 years ago :rofl: , too long :rofl: ) there was only CD CDX & UD plus the tracking ones TD & TDX. There seems to be a heck of alot more now, including jumpers (there was only agility back in the olden days :rofl: ;) ) & others I probably havent even noticed!

One of my friends who is still trialling mentioned that she had retired her bitch until the new UDX class started in July, but what exactly is it (& CCD)? Does anyone have any links to decent info about it or a quick explanation? :)

Edited by MrsD

They are the two new classes introduced with the new Obedience rules starting July 1. CCD is Community Companion Dog - a lower standard than the current Novice ( - which remains, but with altered exercises - only one lot of heeling, and all off lead - yay). UDX is at the other end of the scale - Utility Dog Excellent.

You can see the new rules (more or less) New obedience rules

Hope the link works.

CCD is on lead heeling, a stand for exam on lead, recall (no finish), 1 minute sit stay and two minute down stay.

Can't tell you what's in UDX.

I have a dog with a CCD title! ;) Lily is now Dootwa Iced Candy CCD AD JD!

Way to go Poodlefan and Lily ;) . Did you get to start new OB rules early as well - no fair :) - we've still got one more trial to go before we farewell the 2 lots of heeling! It's hard enough for my poor Fergus to keep his mind on the job for one lot of heeling, let alone 2!

Thanx for the info! :laugh: So I guess that means that you have to do the CCD before the novice class? From what I can see they have made it easier at the bottom end & stretched it out at the top end so there are more exercises & more interesting things once you get to UD level. Great stuff :rofl: .

Tassie - link worked perfectly, thanx!

Congrats on the title Poodlefan, I presume Lily's JD is a Jumpers title?

Gonna go have a read of all the new rules - now I just have to find a puppy so I can get back into it again.

Edited to fix all the typos!

Edited by MrsD

Mrs D

Congrats on the title Poodlefan, I presume Lily's JD is a Jumpers title?

Yep. Princesses are too lady like to really run hard so that's as far as she got. :laugh: Mind you it took about 2.5 years of trialling and my youngest got his in 5 trials (would have got it in three if his Mum could handle better)

You can choose to do CCD OR Novice - don't have to do CCD first but once you have a Novice pass, you can't go back to CCD. A bit like the old informal "encouragement".

I think a lot of people thought CCD would be a pushover if your dog walked on a lead. Plenty of people are now reassessing that thought - the dog still has to work.

Tassie:

Did you get to start new OB rules early as well - no fair

Yep, we started on 1 Feb. Yay!!

Ted got his CD under the new rules too. Mrs D you now have an optional exercise in CD - change of position from stand to drop at 4 metres away or retrieve on the flat (dog doesn't have to return).

or retrieve on the flat (dog doesn't have to return).

:laugh: I certainly hope the dog has to return! With the dumbell! I think you mean that the dog doesn't have to 'finish', rather the handler returns around the dog?

MrsD, Jumping classes were introdued in 2001. This year we get 5 more titling classes in Agility!! Gamblers, Snooker, Strategic Pairs, Open Agility & Open Jumping :rofl: Some of the country has started the new rules, the rest start July 1st :rofl:

Edited by FHR

Thanx for that Poodlefan, so if you want to go straight into novice you can, that's interesting! :laugh: Congrats on he Jumpers title too, I never got any agilty legs with my dogs, although I did train them on all the obstacles - but those were the old rules back in 1997, I think they have probably changed at least twice since then :rofl: . My boy was too off the planet to let loose in a ring, no wonder I never got a qualie. :rofl:

The choice between the retrieve on the flat or the distance command is interesting, I presume that the stand to down is done wth both signal & voice, just from 4m in front of the dog? Sort of like a basic single version of the old UD signals where you walked away from your dog then had to make it drop, sit, come & finish but with no voice commands. So after it drops do you just return to your dog like it is a down stay? I'll have to look up those new rules!

Putting the retrieve in novice has obviously made it harder for some people, by giving the choice of exercise it takes the pressure off those who have trouble teaching the retrieve I guess.

Like FHR has mentioned, I presume you mean that they dog doesnt have to return to heel or finish - heck if they don't have to return I have a dog right now that will do it perfectly :rofl: .

ETA - how come some have started earlier than the July 1 start date? Is it to do with different states?

Edited by MrsD

MrsD, Jumping classes were introdued in 2001. This year we get 5 more titling classes in Agility!! Gamblers, Snooker, Strategic Pairs, Open Agility & Open Jumping :rofl: Some of the country has started the new rules, the rest start July 1st :p

Just added the question about why to the post above, looks like it must be a state thing.

2001!!! :rofl::rofl: Just shows how long I have been out of competition, doesnt it? :laugh: Sounds like those 5 classes will be heaps of fun, boy, a heap better than just the old agility we used to have ;) .

"Thanx for that Poodlefan, so if you want to go straight into novice you can, that's interesting! "

In Victoria, it has always been so. I did encouragement with my Lab but it wasn't compulsory, and then did CD etc. I won't be doing CCD with my poodle.

The idea of UDX is that it will line us up with UK and NZ sort of. It looks quite challenging and a lot of fun. There are a lot of scenting and retrieving tasks in it. Moral of the story NOW is the time to get that prey drive and retrieving happening with your puppy. I think there are a few sad stories of people giving up at open with retrieves.

"Thanx for that Poodlefan, so if you want to go straight into novice you can, that's interesting! "

In Victoria, it has always been so. I did encouragement with my Lab but it wasn't compulsory, and then did CD etc. I won't be doing CCD with my poodle.

The idea of UDX is that it will line us up with UK and NZ sort of. It looks quite challenging and a lot of fun. There are a lot of scenting and retrieving tasks in it. Moral of the story NOW is the time to get that prey drive and retrieving happening with your puppy. I think there are a few sad stories of people giving up at open with retrieves.

Hi Lab & Poodle, I trialled in both NSW & Qld, I dont remember any encouragement back then, we had (& still do as far as I know) sweepstakes in Qld where you have to earn 150 points in a class (same run out as a normal class, just fewer points) & once you "passed" your sweepstakes you were eligible to trial at a "real" trial. NSW - hmmmmm, I dont really remember, pretty sure we just went straight into trialling down there, I think from memory there were registered dogs from our club that came over the border with us because then they didnt have to do a sweepstakes in Qld. Straining my brain here but Im pretty sure thats how it went - geeez that was along time ago! :laugh::rofl:

So did the encouragement thing come in everywhere after I last trialled or was it in other states other than Qld & NSW I wonder?

You're right, there are lots of people who really struggled with Open & didn't go any further. You can teach a dog to retrieve without it having much prey drive - but it's much harder & most people can't do it.

I am eagerly awaiting the introduction of the new rules in Victoria - mainly looking forward to the agility games, especially strategic pairs. Have teed up a team with my instructor and her dog, should be great fun. There will be so many people walking that course on the day it will be worse than peak hour :laugh:

LOL. The real truth is that I am trying to take over Border Collies :rofl: . Our partner is a Border Collie. I am also doing some training now with Wendy's dog Willow so I can run her in trials when Wendy can't. She is great to do agility with. I always said I would love to try agility with a Border Collie so now maybe I have a Claytons Border. They are nearly as good as a Brittany :laugh:

Anyway, the strategic pairs is an agility course, you have two dogs and two handlers in the team. The course is disjointed so one dog will start and do a few obstacles, then the next dog continues where the other dog stopped and so on until the end of the course. If a dog makes a fault the other dog has to continue from where the fault was. I can imagine if there are faults it would become easy to get a bit lost as you will not be running the course quite as you planned LOL.

We have tried it in training, it is great fun.

Edited by helen

FHR:

I certainly hope the dog has to return! With the dumbell! I think you mean that the dog doesn't have to 'finish', rather the handler returns around the dog?

Yeah, OK smarty pants - the dog doesn't have to FINISH. :rofl:

Yep, Lil would be a cinch for a non-return in retrieving. She gives you that look.... "you CANNOT be serious... you want it, YOU get it". :laugh:

Sparty I've only done one Strategic Pairs (and Q'd :rofl: ) so I aint no expert but basically the course is set up in sequences of obstacles that have to be done in order but that don't follow directly on from on another. For example, obstacles 7, 8 and 9 might be on the far side of the course from 4,5, and 6. The pair decide who is doing what sequence but here's the catch.. if you have a fault, the OTHER dog/handler have to come in and complete the faulted obstacle..

Lots of fun.. and mayhem. Someone told me there are 90 teams in Novice Strategic Pairs at the Nationals! :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

A group of us have been playing round with Strategic Pairs in training, since some are going to the Nationals (not me). We've been running it on standard courses, so maybe we've made it a bit more difficult. Whatever, we've been having lots of fun - it certainly strains your brain, concentrating on where you're supposed to be going, but at the same time being ready to go back in and re-do an obstacle if necessary. Our dogs seem to be really enjoying it too.

Poodlefan, I'm even more impressed - a Q in SP already. Well done.

:rofl: In the same boat as you Mrs D, have'nt entered a ring since 1997 and I was 8 month preggy with bubbie 1 then :rofl::rofl: It will be very interesting to see the new rules, shame my girl is now 12 and a bit too old for agility, she loved it as a reward after some ring work. But the pup is up and coming and should be in a ring by 2008 :rofl: He was very excited with the tunnel and the weaving pegs at club last week when they took our dogs through them as an after training play :rofl: ;) :laugh::rofl: :p Thanks to everyone for the info and links, its great :rofl:

:) In the same boat as you Mrs D, have'nt entered a ring since 1997 and I was 8 month preggy with bubbie 1 then :rofl::rofl: It will be very interesting to see the new rules, shame my girl is now 12 and a bit too old for agility, she loved it as a reward after some ring work. But the pup is up and coming and should be in a ring by 2008 ;) He was very excited with the tunnel and the weaving pegs at club last week when they took our dogs through them as an after training play :rofl::rofl::laugh::rofl: ;) Thanks to everyone for the info and links, its great :rofl:

Hey Alpha, hows this for coincidence?? Last time I trialled I was 5 months pregnant with bubs 1&2 (I had twins :rofl: ) & it would have been Sept/Oct 1997 :p .

I'm still trying to find a puppy, not having much luck :( , til I get one I'll just have to annoy the hell out of hubby when he starts taking our GSD to obedience :rofl: ;) .