Smacking

poochall

our pup is now 12 weeks old and one habit i cant break her from is biting me it is overexcited play biting and she only does it to me the other members of the family smack her on the bum when she nips at them and she doesnt do it to them anymore but i dont believe in hitting a dog to train them and ive made that point very clear to everyone else in the family.

Ive tried saying no ive tried isolating her when she does it ive tried praising her when she doesnt do it ive tried not looking at her and stoping play when she does it but it does not work. The other people in the family have kinda lost interest in her so she is now left up to me and now only wants to play with me. She now weighs 13 kg and is getting stronger every day and the biting is getting more painful she doesnt bite at my feet or anything just at my hands and arms when we are playing and i dont play rough with her i play fetch games with her.

When puppies play together, if one hurts another, the one that gets hurt yelps. This teaches the other puppy that what they did was wrong and hurt. The same is true if you do it. When your puppy bites you, yelp (if the high pitched noise excites her, try saying oww in a really deep voice instead). Then turn your back on her and don't look at, talk to, or interact with her in any way for the next full minute. Then go back to playing as if nothing happened. This will teach your pup that it is the biting you didn't like, not the playing.

When puppies play together, if one hurts another, the one that gets hurt yelps. This teaches the other puppy that what they did was wrong and hurt. The same is true if you do it. When your puppy bites you, yelp (if the high pitched noise excites her, try saying oww in a really deep voice instead). Then turn your back on her and don't look at, talk to, or interact with her in any way for the next full minute. Then go back to playing as if nothing happened. This will teach your pup that it is the biting you didn't like, not the playing.

Agree.

Are you also attending puppy school? Highy reccomend that you look into is ASAP if you are not already doing.

Make sure the person who is taking the class is experience and/or have some qualifications in Animal behaviour or dog training, not just someone who has decided to start up puppy school.

Edited by Vizsla

And I would just add to the above BE CONSISTANT

if you keep trying different methods the pup will have great difficulty in understanding what you are trying to train.

And I would just add to the above BE CONSISTANT

if you keep trying different methods the pup will have great difficulty in understanding what you are trying to train.

she started puppy classes a couple of weeks ago but has only had 2 classes the first was a social interaction with other dogs and other people and the one we just attended was basic training sitting, stay ect the class im taking her too is a bit more of a train the owner how to train the puppy with a little help from the teacher or whatever you call them she is doing great with her basic commands. Before she was nipping my hand and i said naughty to her and she stopped and sat in front of me that is the first time she has ever stopped when i said something to her so i might keep trying to say it and see if that one works. She is a very active dog and with only me here to play with her she gets a little bored i let her play with my two out the back for about an hour but i have to watch them carefully and she will have to live inside because my female doesnt really like another dog coming into her little play group with my male she has always been like this and she will stand the pup for about an hour before she starts to get cranky.

She is a very well behaved an easily trained dog the only thing im having trouble with is the nipping but she has responded a couple of times to the word naughty i didnt yell it at her i just said it and it stopped.