Could You Help Me

Rox333

He may have been punished or deterred from unwanted behaviour by using a spray bottle to squirt water (or vinegar) at him...this would explain his fear of spray bottles. Many ppl think this type of thing is acceptable to use to stop unwanted behaviours but another unwanted outcome is fear-based behaviours which I think is what you're seeing. What has your breeder said about the problem?

This is what lead me to believe you are not a spray bottle believer :mad

I am quoting you above "Many ppl think this type of thing is acceptable to use to stop unwanted behaviours" end quote

If you are not saying you do not like them you need to be cleared in your writing ability, I was not the only one who assumed you did not like them, :D

Sorry for thread hijack, but really LM, you are too judgemental and not good at a debate at all, you take everything literall

I'd be trying gradual desensitization myself. Breaking down the scarey stimulus...anything that sounds like a hiss...into small manageable steps that are rewarded. Softy, sotly, little by little.

Someone once posted how they'd done this, successfully, with a dog that was scared witless of a vacuum cleaner.

On the side topic. Personal choice only... I don't tend to use a spray bottle . Not from political correctness...but it's not in accord with a basic tenet I have for shaping behaviour. But it's important that other people develop their own methods. If everyone thought the same as me...or each other...there'd be no progress.

So right now...I don't use a spray bottle, but I listen to people who do & the circumstances they have used it successfully in. Who knows...the day may come!

Edited by mita

LM I think you clearly stated that spray bottles cause fear in dogs.

You stated that "This type of thing" (spray bottle punishment) leads to unwanted fear behaviours.

There are no fear based behaviours in the absence of fear.

Therefore your message was clear. Nothing wrong with stating an opinion.

I use spray bottles on Shar Pei only, any of you ever tried to train one of the stubborn buggers.

Hey LM I have nothing wrong with people having different opinions, but your writing style makes people feel small, you write arrogant. Maybe proof read what you write before you post

Cheers

Perhaps you aren't reading clearly, Peibe? :)

I'm definitely not an arrogant person at all...quite the opposite according to many who know me. :o

I don't mean to confuse anyone...so I apologise to any who thought I was against the use of spray bottles when training dogs and pups - I'm NOT. :D As with any training tool, it does need to be used appropriately for greatest affect but you know that already. :)

LM, I found the first opinion you wrote clear, stating that there were people who did not use the spray in training. You were giving a general over-view on such use. There's no law that says you then had to state your own personal position...and were in some way remiss in not doing so at first... when you were just making a general statement.

When I posted, I supported your view that there were differing opinions. And chose to give a personal position. Nothing mandatory about having to do that.

Just my 'reading'...I didn't see anything unclear in what you originally wrote, I have no problem with your writing style in this thread (it's clear and not abusive), and I respect that you chose to defend yourself when things turned personal. That last choice wouldn't have been mine. If I reviewed what I'd written & it was clear and not abusive, I'd have left the responses with anyone who wanted to argue with it in such personal terms. Life's too short! That's not a criticism of you or those who responded to you...just an opinion on what my own choice tends to be.

Edited by mita

I tried to use the spray bottle with kaos - she LOVES it, sits there looking at it to get me to play with her :)

The only time i use it with Atlas (he HATES IT) is when he is in the kitchen - he knows he isnt allowed in there, and i can never get him out - i just pick the bottle up and he leaves. He isnt scared of any other spray bottles

My sheltie is dead-scared of the water spray bottle.. among many other things. The minute he sees the bottle come out, he BOLTS and hides even if it isn't intended for him.

I use the spray bottle as a 'punishment'; a quick spray in the face stops Blade from doing any unwanted behaviour (when he knows what he's done wrong), and he'll drink from the same bottle. The minute I make a sharp 'ah!' sound, he knows its followed by the bottle, but doesn't run from it, he just drops and gives me a sad look because he knows whats coming :laugh: :D least I don't have to chase him around the yard!