Could You Help Me

Rox333

Got a staffordshire bull terrier all of about 12 and a half weeks

Cute little pup his name is bruiser

He is afraid of the spray and wipe bottle and all cleaning agents that make a squirting sound, when i'm ironing the clothes using the spray bottle he goes nuts and starts whimpering, all whilst running in circles.

I have tried putting him in one room and leaving him there while i clean but he just makes a racket and attacks everything

He follows me everywhere thats my main problem if he didn't follow me i would be right, but I like it having a little mate following me around everywhere

Any ideas on how i could stop this?

Edited by Rox333

Hi,

I have a Springer that reacts to fireworks, gun shots and loud noises in general, i have spoken to various people regarding his problem and the feedback i have got from them is to ignore his reaction, dont praise him or reasure him, cuddle him as this only tells the dogs that it is right to behave in this way.

I have been told to makes noises around him and ignore him, then only time i can praise him is when he doesnt react, so my household is a bit like a madhouse at the moment, i have to go around banging the cupboard doors, popping plastic bags, drop his food bowl, i have been doing this for the last few days and i am starting to see a change in his reactions, they are far less than they used to be and now i am able to start to praise him for not reacting, he is certainly not cured yet but on the path to being cured.

Hope this can be of some help for you and the Bruiser

Springdog

He may have been punished or deterred from unwanted behaviour by using a spray bottle to squirt water (or vinegar) at him...this would explain his fear of spray bottles. Many ppl think this type of thing is acceptable to use to stop unwanted behaviours but another unwanted outcome is fear-based behaviours which I think is what you're seeing. What has your breeder said about the problem?

There is nothing wrong Lillysmum with using a spray bottle as a deterent. As long as it is not abused, a tried and true training method. Normally it only takes 2-3 sprays for the dog to realise, and then picking up the bottle is enough

I had a foster dog that was scared of spray bottles, it was the noise they made not the bottle itself. We eventually worked out that the spray bottle sounds like a hissing cat and she was terrified of cats.

What springdog said works

I would also like to add that the pup is 12 weeks, is following you because he loves you and is a Staffy and that is what they do.

Yup a satfford in the house means you can no longer go into ANY room including and especially the toilet, by yourself whilst they live with you :laugh:

Not just Staffords, Shar Pei are the same.

I climbed out the toilet window once after they winged at the door because I would not let them in :) you should of seen the look on their faces when I walked in the front door

All it did was make them worse though, but was good for a laugh :p

Thanks for all your help. Bruisers a cool dude. Everyone that comes over loves him. He's so cute and he has real attitude...except for when I start using the spray bottle. I have spoken to the breeder, she said that she hadn't used the spray bottle as a deterent. But the cat got in the group of pups one day and started hissin and Bruiser got a frieght. So thats Bruisers problem just like your foster dog Peibe. Guess I will just do some excessive cleaning with the spray bottles and get him used to it.

Thanks for your help

Oh and Bruiser said HI EVERYONE!

Edited by Rox333

Glad I was able to help, took us 2 months to work out what her problem was. I carried a spray bottle on my belt and just squirted it when we were walking and playing and whenever I was near her. It worked

hi all,

its been awhile since i have been on here,

anyway im not sure if anyone has suggested this but:

try to pair the noise with something that the pup loves, like food... so get the family to help to make it easier and get some really yummy food like bbq chicken and make the noise and at first just give him the food for staying there, you will start shaping his behaviour as he gets braver. So then when u think he is comfortable sitting there with the noise, start increasing the bar of what you want him to do, so he has to remain sitting while the noises go off... do you see what im kinda getting at.... to us the noise is nothing but to a little puppy it could be the end of the world and locking him in the room wil only worsen his fear, so you need to teach him that it wont hurt him, in fact its a great noise to be around as he gets bbq chicken or salami... hope this helps

post-6825-1149750189_thumb.jpg

There is nothing wrong Lillysmum with using a spray bottle as a deterent. As long as it is not abused, a tried and true training method. Normally it only takes 2-3 sprays for the dog to realise, and then picking up the bottle is enough

I had a foster dog that was scared of spray bottles, it was the noise they made not the bottle itself. We eventually worked out that the spray bottle sounds like a hissing cat and she was terrified of cats.

What springdog said works

I would also like to add that the pup is 12 weeks, is following you because he loves you and is a Staffy and that is what they do.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with using a spray bottle as a deterrent Peibe. :thumbsup:

I put forth a possible reason for the pup's behavoiur b/c I know many ppl use the spray bottle method to assist in training their dogs and especially pups.

Thanks for all your help. Bruisers a cool dude. Everyone that comes over loves him. He's so cute and he has real attitude...except for when I start using the spray bottle. I have spoken to the breeder, she said that she hadn't used the spray bottle as a deterent. But the cat got in the group of pups one day and started hissin and Bruiser got a frieght. So thats Bruisers problem just like your foster dog Peibe. Guess I will just do some excessive cleaning with the spray bottles and get him used to it.

Thanks for your help

Oh and Bruiser said HI EVERYONE!

great that you found the reason makes sence....

hi bruiser... tell mummy we neeeeedddd pics... i have a 10 week old staffy pup hes my little shaddow and i love it... the best thing i ever thought about was crate training..lol gives both him and me some time without him under my feet... lol altho i love it.. sometimes i need to do things without him stuck to me..lol ,

He may have been punished or deterred from unwanted behaviour by using a spray bottle to squirt water (or vinegar) at him...this would explain his fear of spray bottles. Many ppl think this type of thing is acceptable to use to stop unwanted behaviours but another unwanted outcome is fear-based behaviours which I think is what you're seeing. What has your breeder said about the problem?

Quote "Many ppl think this type of thing is acceptable"

That makes me think you think it is not acceptable behavior :love:

I must have misread you

How is the puppy fear going? Getting any better?

Peibe just so you and everyone else here knows, I don't disagree with the spray bottle method. Put another way, I have no problems with it as a training tool. Just b/c I don't happen to use it on my own dogs, having never seen the need, doesn't mean I am against it. IMO it's a far kinder way to deter a dog from something than, say, belting the dog. :love: And if I felt that one of my own dogs or a foster needed that type of training, believe me I would not hesitate in using it. :cheer: I just wouldn't use vinegar and I would aim for the dog's rump rather than the front end...JMO. :cheer:

Perhaps you could stop trying to put words in the mouths of others? :(

Peibe just so you and everyone else here knows, I don't disagree with the spray bottle method. Put another way, I have no problems with it as a training tool. Just b/c I don't happen to use it on my own dogs, having never seen the need, doesn't mean I am against it. IMO it's a far kinder way to deter a dog from something than, say, belting the dog. :love: And if I felt that one of my own dogs or a foster needed that type of training, believe me I would not hesitate in using it. :cheer: I just wouldn't use vinegar and I would aim for the dog's rump rather than the front end...JMO. :cheer:

Perhaps you could stop trying to put words in the mouths of others? :(

WTF? sorry for thread hijack here

One: I would never use vinegar

Two, nothing wrong with a good squirt on the dog, anywhere to stop untoward behaviour

Three: When you can have 10 plus foster dogs, training is not always easy and a quick method is used ie spray bottle

I aint trying to put words in anyones mouth, you just seem to have an opinion on EVERYTHING and you always act high and mighty like you are SO right. Get over it, public forum, different opinions, go jump

ETA quote stuffed up :cry:

Edited by peibe

Peibe

Agree wholeheartedly. The spray bottle is the best tool I have found, particularly for house training. It stops me from getting impatient and gets the message across when you haven't worked out words yet for new pups. I sprayed Bruno once when he picked up a shoe and now he leaves them alone (while I'm watching!). Telling him "No" does not have this same affect.

Perhaps you could stop trying to put words in the mouths of others?

Lillysmum

Peibe is not putting words into the mouths of others. She is reading exactly what is said :love:

Oh, really? Then I wonder how she incorrectly drew the conclusion that I disapprove of using a spray bottle in training a dog or pup? :mad I wonder where I said that, b/c I can't find it anywhere...am I looking in the wrong place? :D

Probably not, it's probably just a case of someone thinking they've read something that I haven't posted. *shrug*

As an aside, some ppl here have said they use vinegar and water in the spray bottle, and I don't think that was peibe. Nor did I say that peibe used vinegar in *her* spray bottle b/c I didn't assume she uses one. :rofl: I try to respond to what ppl post, not what I *think* they've posted. I think there's a difference. :rofl: