Alpha Roll Article

I thought some Trainers and Handlers may be interested in an article printed in the July edition of the Whole Dog Journal.

Biscuits, Not Rolls

Why you should never use the “alpha roll” (and what to do instead) is available for purchase from their website

Written by Pat Miller from Peaceable Paws Dog and Puppy Training.

Cheers,

Mel. :rolleyes:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Isn't Pat Miller the lady who produces the Puppy Puzzle video? I could be wrong, but I thought the dreaded Alpha Roll was part of that process? My apologies in advance if this is not correct, I am happy to be corrected on this.

Cheers,

Corine

DOH!!! How embarrassed am I right now? :rolleyes:

Hey! Don't be too hard on yourself! You got the "Pat" bit right!. :wink:

Yeah don't be embarrassed- I had to go searching for the video- I wasn't sure who the producer was, I just know it's not Pat Miller. :vomit:

Mel

Cheers Mel!

I just subscribed to the online version of the mag. They wanted US10 for the article or you could get 13 issues of the mag emailed for US16.

I've had a subscription for a year now, it's a great publication- no commercial advertisements, and Pat Miller almost always writes an article each month on training. :thumbsup:

Mel.

Isn't Pat Miller the lady who produces the Puppy Puzzle video? I could be wrong, but I thought the dreaded Alpha Roll was part of that process? My apologies in advance if this is not correct, I am happy to be corrected on this.

Cheers,

Corine

No the alpha roll doesn't figure at all in Puppy Puzzle. As part of the temperament test a puppy is held on its back in your arms and its head is lowered slightly downwards, in no way shape or form does this exercise resemble the alpha roll.

No the alpha roll doesn't figure at all in Puppy Puzzle. As part of the temperament test a puppy is held on its back in your arms and its head is lowered slightly downwards, in no way shape or form does this exercise resemble the alpha roll.

Thanks for clearing that up Miranda! I knew the puppy was placed on it's back, did not realise that was only while held in your arms.

Cheers,

Corine

I have placed puppies carefully onto their backs whilst in my arms,as part of assessing their temperaments, i always labelled it as "Alpha" rolling, but it was only done carefully with a gentle touch.....also i have corrected aggressive pups with this.......but i guess i've mislabelled what i've been doing.......... :thumbsup:

I have also always "alpha rolled" my pup :cry:

Perhaps what I am doing is very different from what people here are saying is so bad. I was taught it by the breeder of my GSD, and the breeder of my Rottweiler also said to use it. It's nothing rough at all, and both dogs are quite happy to roll over while my arm is over them and they wont move until I get up, even if that's 20 minutes or more.

Yes, both my two have gotten used to it from day one, not a problem in the world. I will continue using it as well, the way that I have been taught is a gentle reinforcement about who is boss.

Exactly why I posted the article, in your eyes whatever benefit you think the dog is getting out of it, may be totally incorrect.

I'm just posting a different POV who may not realise the article is available.

K9: those here talking about being able to roll their dogs onto their backs are not completeing an Alpha Roll.

I didnt read the article but have my own views on the procedure. It is totally wrong to complete an Alpha Roll on your dog.

It serves to provide you with nothing thats good...

K9: those here talking about being able to roll their dogs onto their backs are not completeing an Alpha Roll.

That would probably be why I've never had a problem with it then! The breeder of my shepherd called it "Dominance Down". It's just having the dog roll on it's side and then my arm goes lightly over the top, dog stays there until I give the release command. Done it since day one with both dogs and both dogs are very calm during it.

I am sorry I can't see any difference

I will add a little

A submissive dog thinks it is about to die as does an aggressive one, no difference, fear..

Edited by Rusky