Jumping Staffys

Bobby

Hi everyone,

I have only just signed up to this forum and have already found very helpful advice. One topic however that I require a little assistance on is jumping and what is the best way of deterring it.

I have a four and half month old beautiful Staffy boy, Charlie. He is very outgoing and affectionate which of course is typical of his breed. However whenever we have visitors or simply when myself and my partner arrive home he LOVES to jump up all over you. We are worried if we do not nib this behaviour in the bud it might lead him to jump the fences when he is older and inevitably we could lose him.

Does anyone have any good training tips in limiting or eliminating his need to jump all over us and visitors to show his affection?

Thanks.

Charlie.doc

:thumbsup: you should go see my thread in the training section about psycho maniacs lol

Hang on I will post a link to it :)

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=65527

We have got them to the stage where if they are seperate they won't jump, or will only try it once (to my oh and me) visitors we are still working on, and when they are both together, forget it!!!

To start with, when you get home and he jumps, ignore him, turn around walk off, don't tell him off, just ignore him completely

When he is all 4 paws on the ground pat him

If he jumps again, turn around ignore and walk off again

He will learn that he gets nothing until he is sitting or standing

If you can get your visitors to do the same it will help heaps

Unfortunately it is harder to train visitors than it is dogs!!!

Edited by shoemonster

Thanks for the tip I will definately try that one.

He is cute, unfortunately I have not got around to taking too many photos of him but will have to start cause he is getting so big so fast. He is four and half months and already weights 12kgs.

Your staffy is cute too, how old is he/she?

Welcome to DOL :thumbsup:

:) Charlie is gorgeous !!!!

I followed the exact same instructions as shoemonster has told you and it works really well (and quickly). Try to use the same method with anything your baby is doing 'wrong'. Just remember to use lots of praise for doing the right thing and ignoring the bad. They want to please you and will soon learn that doing the right thing is much more rewarding.

Good luck and can't wait to see some more pics of Charlie.

Another method, which is what worked for us:

When the dog jumps up on you, grab the front paws (firmly but don't hurt the dog) and say stay down, as you put the dogs paws on the floor... Everyone he jumps on needs to do this a few times and he will get the hang of it...

After a while when people come to the door, you can just say to him 'you stay down' and he will...

Staffords are smart and it did not take my lad very long at all to master this one...

No he only jumps up when asked too...

Jodie

aww your little guy is beautifull. welcome to the forum and we need lots of pics..lol i dont have any tips as yet other than what shoemonster sugested is what i would normaly do.. good luck with him and have fun

It must only be staffy owners who have this problem! :cry:

Kaos is a shit for jumping, i did the above method (ignoring her till she had 4 paws on the ground) she is pretty good.... most of the time!!

good luck!