Toilet Training Hints

imy

Okay so we've only had her for a week but in that time we've taken her outside to pee every 1/2 hour (no fail) after she wakes up, after playing and after eating and during the night when she cries in her crate... she does 'her thing' outside and gets lots of praise... but she still has no problem with dropping and doing whatever she feels like, wherever that may be.

I'd understand if she was rushing to the door but didn't wquite make it or if she wasn't being let out a lot... but she is!

EG: Playing with a toy... wrestle, wrestle... stop... pee. RIGHT THERE NEAR THE TOY!

Am I being too harsh since she's only been away from home a week? She's 12 weeks old.

I do have to admit, when she arrived, she smelt really bad and did actively seek out her bedding to poo and wee on so I suspect that her hygene wasn't so good at her past home. She has stopped doing that now though.

SO glad I don't have carpet downstairs! I may tile the whole house yet! LOL

Ta... I wasn't sure that it was good to give treats after a toilet stop.

She does all the right things and goes when I take her out... just does INSIDE too!

I suspect she hasn't had a GREAT deal to do with patting and praise so a treat would probably have WAY more impact (she's a guts :cry: )

Imy try to be patient with your new foster baby. She's had so much change to absorb already that toileting is probably the thing that will take the most work to be successful. A week isn't much time and I think you (and she) are doing an awesome job already. :cry:

Food treats don't have to be much to have a big impact...I love using dried liver b/c even a teeny-tiny piece is very satisfying for dogs. They want to work to get that treat and praise is secondary. Once she's doing what you ask, reverse the treat/reward over time, so that she's getting the verbal "yes, good girl" more than she gets the liver treat. ;)

Give yourself a huge pat on the back already! ;)

With our Golden, we used a crate right from the word go while he was sleeping and napping throughout the day. Using the crate at night encouraged him to learn how to 'hold it' until he could let us know that he needed to go. Im not sure if it is because of the crate or because of him, but he has not messed inside since he was about 4-5 months old (now a year and a half), and I will definately be using it next time I get a puppy as well. We can leave him for hours and not worry about it!

She's doing a good job. I've already given her a few today after wee stops and no accidents (yet)

She hasn't gone to the door or whined to go out yet, but that will come as she learns that toilet stuff outside sometimes gets you a good treat!

I think she may have been a bit hesitant to go out because its been really cold lately and even with a coat on, she ends up shivering like crazy... not much incentive.

I've been doing liver treat as a reward and only a tiny piece. Lucky she's not bigger because she'd be a bench surfer for sure... she knows the treats are on the bench somewhere...just...can't...reach.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you updated.

We have a possible home for Ella already ( ;) and :cry: ) so I'd like to get her trained before she goes there in just a few weeks.

Guess who is going to be a spoiled gal for what little time we have left???

These are the steps/hints I've gathered from settling new fosters....& from other people. May be handy to pass onto new owners...as dogs have to learn the place/time rules in each new property.

Get rid of the smell (to the dog's sensitive nose) of the mistake 'spots' in the house. Dogs go back to that smell to do their business on top. I've found Sunlight soap for first cleaning, followed by some drops of Nilodor (from Supermarket). Sometimes I've also sprinkled some granules of the 'keeping pets off gardens stuff' to deter dog from a 'favourite' spot inside the house.

Establish the dog's spot in the garden by watching where it first goes & taking it back to that spot. Routine at first as for puppy...first thing in morning (early as possible) , after meals, some various times, & last thing at night.

Keep back door closed while you do this...so dog gets the idea there's an inside the house...& an outside the house.

Stand close at first...watch for first sign dog is going to toot...& use a cue word...I say 'Toot, girls' to ours. Then praise (& small bit liver treat?) when doggie completes it. That cue word, used every time, will gradually get associated by dog with doing its business.

Then gradually stand a few feet way...& do as above. Then further back again...until you're standing in the door. Eventually, you can just open the door, say 'Toot, girl!' & the dog will run out to her spot.

In winter, keep track of grass up to toilet spot as bald as possible, so no cold wet grass spikes to make doggie uncomfortable.

(Another trick, if person already owns a dog...let a dog loose in the garden first instant it comes to the new home. Most dogs will sniff until they find a scent spot of the resident dog...& go to toot over top. So it learns,Lesson 1, where the toot spot is.)

Edited by mita

She's getting better... only one or two oopses during the weekend.

I started using treats when she went but she'd make the squat (without peeing) to trick me, then hop around like a maniac for a treat.

We've also discovered that she needs two pees when she goes out. The first one is urgent (or very quick anyway) and then she tries to go inside... BUT if you walk her around for 5 mins she goes again.

Funny little thing!

She has her own spot and knows whats happening when we go out... she's just tooooo sneaky :love:

Imy, I've got to admit I don't give a liver treat reward for toilet-training...it seemed to confuse the dogs I've had. Tho' I know some people have used it with some dogs.

That's interesting what your girl does... A quick 'pass' on her toilet spot...then minutes later, a 'long go' . I wonder if the first is a 'marker' on the spot....then later the 'real thing' over the top.

One of our tibbie girls does a bit similar. As soon as the other girl goes to the toot, this one does a 'wee bit' on the top of that'. Then goes off & sniffs around for a while, until she finds her spot...& goes properly.

Edited by mita

Possibly.

I have no idea what she's up to. It HAS been pretty cold here so maybe she's just doing a 'token' pee in the hopes that she can get inside quicker? She does this even with a coat on so I dunno.

• 2 months later...

Oh boy does this sound familiar... my welsh springer just loses it and seems not to understand that it was her wee!!! I like you am at home and vigilent. Having had puppies before and being aware of their needs... I now suspect it is a developmental thing and try to keep my patience. I have like you praised when doing it outside - taken her immediately out when she does it inside. I now say YUK when she does it inside.

My heart goes to you as I know what you are going through --- hang in there.

:p