Help, Dog Can't Pee

she was a very competant vet, new all about it, just that she said she had done lots of these ops, but not in the position its in at the moment.

I like a Vet who knows when they don't know. It's a rare quality (not just amongst Vets) and she has my respect just for telling you how it is.

Good luck with your boy. Poor thing. Sounds somewhat ouchy. Hope you manage to get it dealt with and your boy is ok quickly.

PS. Can't they use ultrasound or some such to make the stones explode? Don't they do that in humans?

yes, he's ok. managed the second time under general ,to push it back up, then removed it, there were 3 stones altogether. have been sent away to see what type.he is still in hospital, with drip, and catheter , as his wall lining is very inflamed, possibly been thrashing around in there a while. went to visit him last night, and he was still sleepy, but lifted his head, nice and cosy with his heated wrap around him. will know more today. going to read up on dally stones, so i can see how to avoid this happening again. thanks to everyone for advice and support, really appreciate it. :mad

After Ollie had his stones removed, the vet recommended Hills Science Diet - UD. This is a special formula for dogs with stones... Touch wood, he had his removed in June last year and we still have not had any...

I vary Ollie's a bit by adding low oxalate veges (because his are oxalate stones) sometimes. He is used to it now but used to turn his nose up at it in the beginning.

Hope that the pooch is feeling better soon.

Cheers

Jodie

thanks everyone, appollo is now back home, as soon as he saw us he started to "talk" and didn't stop all the way home!

jodie, do you have to get the urine checked regularly, i'm really concerned now that this is going to be a recurring problem and at over $2000, its causing me a bit of stress!

the stones have been sent away to be analysed, to USA.( at least that was free)

my main concern now is avoiding it again, so am going to start to gather as much info as poss on this.

just glad to have him back, think he has weed on every bit of grass since he got back :rofl:

think he has weed on every bit of grass since he got back :D

Yay for Apollo :rofl::clap::clap:

juice, doesn't it just give you that warm fuzzy feeling see your money pee'd up against a wall :clap::clap: Hey, maybe you should be bottling it :D :D :)

For the first few months we did have his urine checked about every two weeks. Then our vet said that we could have it checked once a year, unless symptoms returned...

We are due for a wee check this week - if I ever get time to do it :rofl:

So glad to hear he is home and feeling better...

Cheers

Jodie

ETA Our vet did not charge us for a consult for the urine testing as we used to just get a sample and drop it up there, they would test it and call us if needed...

Edited by Staffyluv