Sooky Girl

Gordie

I picked up my new baby on Friday and although I love her greatly, goodness knows she loves to sook.

We don't have a problem with this except when we have to leave her.

She howls the house down!!!

Today we decided to do a trial run in the morning before we left. First, we put her outside with Gordie, our 12mth perfectly behaved fur bub. She sooked and howled so much, so we thought we'd try her inside, thinking perhaps she would be too cold.

So we put her in the bathroom with her bed and toys, but she continued to sook every time we closed the door. So we waited for her to drift to sleep and then left her and shut the door. 2 seconds later she was at it again. And she doesn't stop after 10, 20 or even 30 mins. I don't know how her little lungs do it!!!

I really don't know what to do. I feel really sorry for the neighbours and if this keeps up i really can't blame them when they complain. We never had this problem with Gordie - he was one of those perfect dogs that always seems to know how to behave.

Anyone have any hints??

Jade092.jpg

http://w83.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamic...19/gordie_dane/

I'm not much help either, just wanted to let you know that I think she is adorable :rofl::clap:

Perhaps if you do put her in the bath room put a gate that she can see through in the door way as opposed to shutting the door. Maybe put Gordie in there if they will both fit! Failing that, reward her when she is quiet and praise her for being a good quiet girl

My answer to everything - get her a crate and put it in a fairly busy place in the house. Puppies feel safer in a small area (less burglars to chase off). You can do a search on crate trainng here, there is heaps of information.

She is very cute :clap: and I'm sure she can a huge racket :rofl:

Have fun!

Lordy Lordy.....how cute is that? :thumbsup::rofl: Ying & yang - what a beautiful lil' pup :rofl:

I'm with Bellasperson - get her a crate or put her in a smaller area where she feels protected, safe and warm. Make it cosy and happy. Put a cover over it but leave one side so she can see you. Make sure you are at home when you do this. Make it routine and not just for when you are leaving the house. Toys. Give her dinner in there. Make it the best place she's ever been :D HER place!

Start off with short time - just dinnertime then let her out, for 5 minutes while your hanging out the washing - then let her out. She can cry but you will ignore it. 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes....

Don't let her out unless she's quiet. Wait for even a 2 second gap between howls - as soon as she stops crying, praise her, treat her - it must be an immediate response to being quiet! :mad Lots of treats which she ONLY gets when she's being good in her crate.

Don't coo at her or try to soothe her when she's howling - this only reinforces that howling is a great way to get attention. I know it's hard because she's only a baby but you do need to make sure that you are the boss and she will get all the attention in the world as long as she is quiet :laugh:

Congratulations!

I had the same problems with Jinx when we got him (3 weeks ago) and it's finally settling down now. He was at the point where he'd be asleep in the lounge room, I'd walk into the kitchen and he'd wake up screaming the place down lol. All I've done is what has been mentioned above, got him a crate and started his crate training and used the back yard. I'd put him outside, he can see us through the door, wait a couple of mins until he calms down and then treat him and let him inside, then do it all again a little later on. I'm happy to say that right at this moment he is in the backyard playing on his own without complaint, the door is open and he runs inside every half hour or so, gets a pat and off he goes again. Persevere, your beautiful little girl will get better!

Insanity xox

Oh btw, another tip I was told about when doing this is to not get too over excited when you let them inside because it apparently teaches the dog to jump all over you when you get home? I give Jinx a pat, plenty of praise and his treat and try to discourage him from jumping on me at this time. Good luck!

Hey guys,

Face of an Angel/Devil is right!!! :) Nah, she's a good little princess. And I am a very proud mummy. She had her first puppy kinder last night and was the star of the class!!! granted, i did the class last year with gordie so i wasn't a novice, but after only having her a week she is coming, sitting and dropping on command!!! :)

More photos as requested... The sooking seems to have cleared up. She's less sooky thatn she used to be at least. I never give in to her when she cries and always proaise when quiet, but somehow, even when she's outside with gordie after having a meal, she'll sook as soon as she's finished to get back in!!! :o Oh well, the trails of puppies huh? Try and try again...

Cheers guys, Bea.

Below are some with big bro, gordie.

12062006078.jpg

10062006067.jpg

Jade158.jpg

Jade131.jpg