No. Ones Inside

Matty C

Hi All

I'm the flat mate with one of the BC sisters, Makybe. Her sister Mayia has no problem and has picked it up really fast that the tree in the back yard is for that. However, Makybe is a bit slower, but sneaky. Trying to catch her in the act each time is hard. we play outside and in and it always seems to be during a supervised play time that she sneaks to a corner, does the job, and continues playing as if nothing is wrong.

If we catch her, play time is over and she is walked outside, But she has only been caught twice.

Are we keeping them inside too much or is there a simple training technique that can be used on a regular basis to eliminate the No. ones inside

Thanks

Matty C

Is she going back to the same corner/s to pee? If so, dogs go to the toot on top of where the 'toot scent' is.

Even when we clean up the spot, a dog's super-sensitive nose can spot the 'spot'. Special effort needed to get rid of the odours of 'mistakes'. I first clean-up with Sunlight Soap suds. Then drop spots of Nilodor on the place (available from the getting rid of smells shelves at Supermarket.)

(An added thing I've done when one spot's been attracting a dog back to do some 'totting'...is to sprinkle some of those granules that are used to keep dogs off garden beds. You'd have to check tho' if they'd stain your floor covering....or sprinkle them on a thick layer of newspaper.)

Have I got it right that she tends to go into a corner to pee just after you start a game with her inside the house? Getting excited can stimulate urge to go to the toot (folk with young children know that).

How about starting all play games outside the house...note when she goes to the toot...& then move the game inside.

Edited by mita

How often do you take her out for a wee? IMO when a dog is learning about toileting, they should be given the opportunity to get it right about once an hour. That is, take them out ONLY to toilet every hour. Ensure you have a definite command or word, don't muck about, and praise and treat once she 'goes'. If she doesn't go, then simply take her back indoors but supervise or confine her appropriately. What I mean by that is either have her attached to you (her lead on your belt for example) or crated. In this way she can't possibly make a mistake b/c you are right there with her or she's in a small space and will let you know she needs to go out.

I have found it very helpful to keep a dog that's in training on the lead for toilet stops. This helps them to focus on the job at hand rather than the birds overhead, shadows, or other dogs...whatever might distract her.

For indoor cleanups, use a proper urine absorber available at good pet suppliers. Follow this with a good vacuum, and some odour neutraliser, preferably one that is designed purely for pet odours.

Some dogs get toilet training really quickly, but the rest are more of a challenge! I've had both types and the longest time it took me to house train a very stubborn dog was about five months. :eek: I did all the right things, but she would toilet in her crate b/c she likely had never lived without her own mess (very sad that her previous owners never cleaned up her bedding but that's the most plausible reason we could find). Most dogs 'get it' within a couple of weeks of consistent training, diligent supervision, and appropriate confinement. :) A border collie is highly intelligent and usually wants to please you, so if you're doing all the right things and giving her all the right opportunities, she should be right in no time. :)

it sounds as if she's a little nervous. If she has been punished whilst peeing before then she is probably expecting it again and so hides it so you cant find it.

make toilet time a good time. Start teaching her a command and keep an eye on her body language. If you notice she needs to pee, praise her for going and whilst she does it. When she finishes then praise her again. Show her that needing and going is OK and if you teach her a pee word you can get her to go when you need her to as well. Like Lillysmum said, the BC is a dog bred to want to please so if you show her there's a 'mums happy adn you get rewarded' she'll be more inclined to start communicating with you her toileting needs.

If there is a corner where she has peed inside, clean it well, right down into the pile and even the underlay can hold the smell.

Thanks for all your help. She is picking up on the peeing outside now. I'm walking to a spot in the yard and both the girls follow and once i stop they pee. Who would of thought. We have no carpet in the house, just tiles and fake timber floors, so clean up is very easy.

Another thing, she never pees while going for a walk or to the park. Just nerves again i think. Time will tell.

thanks again

Matty c