Stiff Pups

Jed

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vet tells me that in dogs they get most of their antibodies from their placenta and a smaller amount from the milk which is why its possible to raise healthy pups on artificial bitch milk This isnt so with many other animals.

My 2 surviving corgi babies have gone to their new homes both very healthy and very happy.

I still dont believe what I had was Ecoli and the more I look at the way this bug works the more sure I am. My vet and I are still no closer at all to knowing what the hell happens and why its only this bitch.

Wish I could say something earth shattering to knock this over but in all honesty Im no closer to knowing now than what I was a year ago.

My vet seemed to think that it may be an issue with the male dog but Ive used different sires and Ive used them over different bitches with no problem.

Jim any word back from the vet you gave the info to?

Guest Geoffrey G

ME TOO !! THE MILK INHALATION COULD BE A POSSIBILITY WITH MY LOT AS I WAS HAND FEEDING THEM (PREM)THE ONES THAT WERE RIDGED DID NOT SURVIVE LIVED APPROX 2 WEEKS AND DIED BASICALLY ABOUT THE SAME TIME THE 2 THAT DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM ARE OK I WAS THANKFUL TO SAVE 2 AS THEY WERE 10 DAYS EARLY .

CHIN UP.

• 2 weeks later...

i am sorry to drag this up again, but, after reading the last two emails i thought i would ask my vet what he thought about what has been going on. I sent him a link to this thread, his response as follows:

"In my experience with this, most of the pups that go rigid, stop breathing and then revived, tend to die soon after. extensive research has been done into the stiffness phenomenon, but no conclusions have been made about it. It remains a mystery in the vet world."

So i guess we are left to continue to ponder this mystery

Jed & Steve,

My heart goes out to you. Sortof makes me glad that I have always had neutered males even though I love puppies. When the vet says extensive research has been done on this, can he give you any of the articles. I know there is a way through the web of accessing data bases for a lit search on this & I will enquire with my librarian at work. Unfortunately the OVID search base that I go through doesn't have the veterinary database probably because we don't have a vet school. But the Unis that do have vet schools do have the veterinary literature database and I may be able to access these using my lecturer status, I'll have a go for you anyway. Some will be available electronically.

On a different matter but in line with this thread. When we use tubes to feed adults - we check that it is in the stomach in 2 main ways:

1. We draw back some fluid using a syringe and then test it for acidity using litmus paper.

2. We can push some air into the tube using a syringe and listen with a stethescope to hear air going into the stomach. Obviously with such young pups only a little air is used. Stethescopes are not expensive - you can get a relatively good one for about $30. Make sure it has two tubes not two going into one half way down. We sell them at the uni to the nursing students. Yes, you can pay $200 and over for a Littmans (I did) but it would not be necessary in this case.

Goddess bless

Hi folks,

Well I have been to work. Veterinary articles are included in Medline database which I do have access to plus Biological Abstracts. I have searched through 110 out of 502 articles to do with puppies with no discussion about "stiff puppy syndrome" - but I will continue to search. I won't be able to directly access the databases that vet schools use, but it was suggested that I get in touch with the vet schools librarians in Qld and/or WA and explain my predicament and that they may be able to do a lit search for me.

I am also going to see my vet tomorrow night as Keeshah has some kind of allergic reaction between one of his foot pads and isn't responding to treatment as well as could be expected - so I will ask her about articles as well, She is a lovely vet and person so she may do a lit search through her accessible databases.

Will let you know.

Goddess Bless,

Ailsa

Guest Geoffrey G

Hey ailsa

you are doing a great job with all you references re the " stiff" puppy problem I was surprised that is is as common as it is, the time I had this problem I must admit I did find it a little amusing at first because the pups would start up again after a rub ( I always thought I had some intelligece) then they died guilt set in,this was a number of years ago so, it is not a new problem

If you are going to keep up the research please contact the University of Melbourne dept of Vet science Ph: 0397413500 .

It's great that you are putting so much time into your research.

Geoffrey

Guest Geoffrey G

:rolleyes:Before anybody jumps on me ( I wish) I know I spelleded intellygents rong.

HEE HEE OOooops not allowed to use capitals.

Hi folks,

I went to my vet last night to get Keeshahs foot checked out so he no longer had to be a bucket head. She says it looked good and charged me nothing! She's a good lass.

I also mentioned to her the "stiff puppy syndrome" and she had never heard of it & asked me if it was about the "fading puppy syndrome", I replied that that was like comparing SIDS to "failure to Thrive Syndrome" in kids. I guided her to this forum to read about it and she will also find out anything she can about it.

In the meantime, Steve, as I am not a breeder and have not had this problem I do not think that I can legitimately send an email to all heads of veterinary schools/faculties in the country requesting that they encourage research into this area. If I get the email address for all of these people do you think that you could send an email to them on behalf of the breeders that you know have had these problems.

Goddess Bless

I had a litter about a fortnight ago and now only have 2 out of 8 left all the boys semed very healthy and at around day 4 they just started to go stiff as in dead stiff ,came back to life and then their condition deteriorated until they died. No sign at all that they were sick until the stiff thing.Ive never seen this before.Is anyone any closer to an answer on this? Can I expect this again in my next litter?God it breaks your heart.

Oh Star, my heart goes out to you for your losses. Cuddle the last two boys and give Mum a Hug. Lots of warm and supportive fuzzies coming from Tennant Creek.

Aili keep up the literature search. There must be a reason for this awful syndrome.

Keep your chin up

Erica and Bob

• 2 years later...

i was thinking about this topic the other day and thought i would bring it back up just in case there has been further discoveries about the causes etc. Also for those that wee not there when the topic first started.

• 2 years later...

bumping this back up as i lost one of my male pups at three days old to this stiff puppy phenomenom.

any other occurences?

tube feeding another pup who showed similar pre-stiff symptoms -

will add in my account of stiff puppy when less tired.

Edited by lilli

It IS an interesting topic...sorry to hear about your little one lilli.

I adopted a bitch & her 7 pups from her breeder who was retiring & since I had no pups of my own at the time, my puppy room was available. One of her males would go stiff as a board too. He stayed tiny. He looked like a blue & tan Chi. When it came time for their vacc's it turned out he had a grade 4 heart murmur & we decided it would be too much for him to handle the vacc's. He never caught up to the others & he was always sleeping. He died at 8 weeks old poor thing.

I did not keep the bitch since one of the pups had a blue eye as well as the other pup having the heart murmur so I didn't want to take the chance of using her again. We were going to pm the pup but since a heart murmur was already diagnosed we didn't think we needed to. I haven't seen it before or since with my other litters :(

Edited by CDM