Bilateral Luxating Patellas And Hip Dysplasia

Heya,

Glad to hear that Ruby is home and recovering. When are you getting the other leg done?? Mallee has been on Cosequin now for about 9 months and we have found it to be execellent, there are different forms of it that you can get either the dog caps or the horse powdered form, we have Mallee on the horse powdered form after the recommendation of that by her surgeon - he says it works out cheaper, but i think i would have preferred the tablets as they would have been easier to deal with.

Mallee was also on Rimadyl - and i am not sure if i actually liked it or not - it helped with the pain but after she came off them she has had terrible problems with her stomach and bowels and i have a tendency to believe its because of all the Rimadyl that she was on......i preferred the cartrophen injections and carprofen (spl) tablets.........i think it depends on the vet as to which one they will prescribe.

What have you decided about her hips, have any operations been suggested to you or are you going to see how she copes once both knees have be done???

Hi Malleerr - we are going to see how she pulls up from this surgery (at the moment we wonder if we are doing the right thing putting her thru these surgeries). If this goes OK, then the 2nd knee will be done in approx 10 wks. Once she is fully recovered from the knee surgeries, then we need to assess if the hips are causing signs and symptoms (at the moment can't tell if its hips and knees or just knees or just hips). If hips are problematic, then she will need 2Xfull hip replacements?? Hope the Cosequin is a miracle drug!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ruby's mum.

I'm so sorry to hear about Ruby. She's a gorgeous little girl. May I ask who her breeder was, and if they mentioned whether they test their breeding dogs hips and knees?

I've heard that Cosequin can be very effective.

Good luck and best wishes,

Linny

Hi Linny - where did you get your gorgeous dogs from?? I am considering spoodle next time - haven't had much luck with my miniature labradoodle! Love her to bits but!!

Unfortunately this is what happens when you cross 2 breeds together who both have tendencies for Hip Dysplasia, and don't xray and score the breeding bitches and dogs before breeding with them. It's also buyer beware when you are shipping pups from interstate and you can't get evidence of original health tests for the parents.

HD is a polygenic problem, and unfortunately it can occur even when the breeding dogs have good hip scores, and have no history of HD in their pedigree. Although testing can significantly reduce the incidence of HD, it cannot completely eliminate it, and purebred dogs from the very best lines and breeders can suffer from it.

Hi Linny - where did you get your gorgeous dogs from?? I am considering spoodle next time - haven't had much luck with my miniature labradoodle! Love her to bits but!!

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you - I love my "mutts" to bits, too! I've just emailed you.

Spoodles are great little dogs. However, both Cocker Spaniels and Poodles can suffer from HD, patella problems, and PRA, so it's very important to test for these.

Where are you located? There are quite a few Labradoodle get-togethers in Sydney.

Best wishes,

Linny

Spoodles are great little dogs. However, both Cocker Spaniels and Poodles can suffer from HD, patella problems, and PRA, so it's very important to test for these.

Where are you located? There are quite a few Labradoodle get-togethers in Sydney.

Best wishes,

Linny

Linny

i really don't think this is appropriate for this board, maybe PM her in private instead.:confused:

Mygirlruby, best of luck with your baby, no dog deserves to go through that pain and trauma poor darling, good to see you are doing everything you can to help her though :rofl:

I would very seriously recommmend a ethical registered breeder for your next baby (if you intend to get another), things can happen but you can feel safe that they have taken every measure to ensure their dogs don't produce any of the problems your poor girly and many other x breeds including a spaniel x poodle are having :rofl:

Best of luck with it all :rofl:

Edited by mickatie

I am considering spoodle next time - haven't had much luck with my miniature labradoodle!

So let me get this straight. You've had this traumatic and disastrous experience after buying from an unregistered breeder so now you want to go back to an unregistered breeder for another cross breed?

[q

HD is a polygenic problem, and unfortunately it can occur even when the breeding dogs have good hip scores, and have no history of HD in their pedigree. Although testing can significantly reduce the incidence of HD, it cannot completely eliminate it, and purebred dogs from the very best lines and breeders can suffer from it.

Responsible registered breeders are doing all they can to try and eliminate these problems Oracle, THAT is the big difference as far as I am concerned.

How many producers ( I refuse to call them breeders) of these crossbreeds do any testing at all.

I sure have never seen any DD producers lined up waiting to have their dogs eye tested whilst mine have been getting done.

well my golden is now 13 years old and she has bilateral hip dysplasia. I decided not to opt for surgery.

I kept her lean, low protein diet, well excercised and she swam in the ocean daily, I gave her vitamin C. I later gave glucosamine through the winter months.

There wasn't all the stuff available like the internet back then for research so I had to use the library and talk to my vet and make choices. I have never regretted not having the surgery. My friend with a GSB also had the same problem. Her girl passed on to the bridge aged 10 and 3 lots of surgery. That may not have been the case for us but I am pleased with my girls mobility.

I can't help you with the knees. I have nil or little experience but think long and hard about the hip surgery, there isn't any rush, take your time.

I am considering spoodle next time - haven't had much luck with my miniature labradoodle!

So let me get this straight. You've had this traumatic and disastrous experience after buying from an unregistered breeder so now you want to go back to an unregistered breeder for another cross breed?

The breeders I got Ruby from are registered with the labradoodle association of Australia (whatever that is??). I thought I had done all I could to buy from the best - I did look into it as there are no labradoodle breeders here in WA. It was my 1st purchase of a pup since moving out of home - beginners unluck?? It is Ruby I am worried about - she is the one who has to go through this, not me. I am just glad that she has me as a parent, to try to give her everything she needs, and the best treatment possible...

I wanted a poodle cross as I was after an allergy friendly dog, that wasn't a full poodle (I had poodles growing up, and wanted something different). I thought I was getting Ruby from one of the 2 most reputable breeders of labradoodles in Australia. Can breeders of crossbreeds be registered? Inform me , don't insult me.

Can breeders of crossbreeds be registered? Inform me , don't insult me.

No, breeders of cross breeds are not registered breeders unless it happened to be a complete accident, which in cases of Labrador x Poodles is not the case as they intentially breed these 2 breeds.

ETA - No ethical registered breeder would deliberately breed crossbreds. Rarely accidents may happen. Ethical registered breeders will only breed purebreds of the same breed once all health tests have been carried out.

Edited by Norskgra

I wanted a poodle cross as I was after an allergy friendly dog, that wasn't a full poodle (I had poodles growing up, and wanted something different). I thought I was getting Ruby from one of the 2 most reputable breeders of labradoodles in Australia. Can breeders of crossbreeds be registered? Inform me , don't insult me.

Poodle Xs arent 'allergy friendly' and Norskgra has answered your question about whether byb can be registered so I'll now ask you to direct me to where I set out to insult you.

Responsible registered breeders are doing all they can to try and eliminate these problems Oracle, THAT is the big difference as far as I am concerned.

I wish that was the case. My own breed suffers from several genetic diseases and very little is being done. Testing and reporting is voluntary and most breeders either don't test or keep the test results quiet. Sydney University published a paper a couple of years ago that I put on the breeders forum. I think anyone that cares about the future of there breed should read it Some Practical Solutions to Welfare Problems in Dog Breeding

There is nothing stopping any group of like minded folk setting up a registry and registering themsleves with that.

However the the body in Australia that deals with recognised registered Breeds is the ANKC, labradoodle, ooddles, schmoodles whatever are not recognised by the ANKC because they are not breeds. Individual breed clubs, and the ANKC itself have schemes in place whereby many breeds have to be health screened for genetic problems before breeding.

When buying a puppy of ANY breed it is advisable to research thoroughly the breed, and then ask any Breeders you talk to about the health problems in their lines and any testing they carry out.

Hi Genevieve,

I hope you got my PM (Personal Message). If not, you can see it by clicking on "My Controls" at the top of the page, then looking in the "Inbox".

Goodluck with Ruby. She's a beautiful little girl :rofl:

Best wishes,

Linny

Poodle Xs arent 'allergy friendly' and Norskgra has answered your question about whether byb can be registered so I'll now ask you to direct me to where I set out to insult you.

Hi Raz,

People who are allergic to certain dogs may not be allergic to some poodles and poodle crosses. Guide Dogs and other Assistance Dog organisations use labradoodles for visually impaired people who are allergic to certain other breeds.

Best wishes,

Linny

PS I don't think Genevieve was implying that you had insulted her - she was just asking that people not. At least that's how I read it , anyway :rofl:

PS I don't think Genevieve was implying that you had insulted her - she was just asking that people not. At least that's how I read it , anyway :rofl:

Thankyou. This is all about the health and happiness of a beautiful, well natured little dog - it doesn't matter what shape,size or colour she is.