First Time Puppy Owner

GLAMACHIC

this is like baby training but in fast foreward hehehehe

clingy ... try having a dog thats 50kg and still tries to climb in your lap for a snooze and then another 25kg piles herself in between just to get a little piece of mum ...

you have a dog that was taken from its mother early and kept in a fairly daunting environment. She's still a baby and will want attention all the time because she missed out on it as well as learning to explore at a crucial period. Make alone times fun for her, give her special 'alone time' toys to play with when you both go out and if she keeps bothering you for attention ignore her until she settles. You will find she will start wandering off when you ignore her and find somethign else to do because you are teaching her that mum and dad are not the only fun things in the house.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we have given her a big soccer ball..she looooves to play with..hehe..its so cute seeing her run around it in circles...coz its so big she doesnt know what to do with it....its a really soft toy with a bell in it..so she wont get hurt if she falls on it...we also have a smaller ball a rubber one for her to chew on coz i know she has really small teeth and she might be teething...hehe baby talk!...

what other toys do u suggest i get for her?

i wish we had abigger room we could put her in...and a warmer one...i have a fur blanket around her too so she can snuggle in if she gets chilly

Congratulations on your new baby Electra :eek:

There is a strong possibility that Electra is younger than 8 weeks :eek: You just never know when you get a pup from a pet shop. This *could* explain the extreme clinginess you are describing BUT maybe she's just enjoying all the attention she's getting now that she's out of a horrid window box :eek: Just be consistent in whatever you do with her.

You have received great advice about her sleeping arrangements and I too, strongly suggest a crate, especially as there are no fences and that there are kids who *might* leave a door open. It gives a little one a place of their own to retreat when they want to. If you get a slightly bigger crate, you can divide it in half so the hopefully she will do her business at one end and sleep at the other. It makes cleaning up puppy poopy messes a lot easier. I do not suggest you toilet train for outside at this stage, especially with no fences. The changeover later on will be a little confusing for her but can be achieved with patience and a few accidents once she can go outside.

To me she looks like she is going to get a lot bigger - going by her growthplates in the pics plus the fact that she does NOT have a Chihuahua head :rofl: Who knows what she will end up looking like :rofl: I'm sure you will love her just the same :eek:

One thing no-one has mentioned is worming. Do take her to your vet (there will probably have been some sort of 3 day health guarantee too). Get her fully checked over, take their advice on food - get a quality product from the vet, and ask them about worming, vaccination and desexing. Write a list of any questions before you go so you can remember. :eek:

Good luck with Electra ;)

fantastic advice..thanks everyone...im going to look into getting one of these crate things...we have decided to move her into the second bedroom of our house and get a little night light for her as she seems to be slowly learning that her tray is for her late night need to go dunny...but she seems to be missing and getting it on the side of the tray..it looks like she is feeling her way round the room..it might be too dark for her...

i am investing in one of these treat balls for when i am off at work...i am actually at work right now and im a little stressed about how she is going all alone at home..but it will be over soon..my husband finishes work in a couple of hours thank god!!!

one question...do u think we will be confusing her if we get her a crate to train her in even tho she has been told otherwise for a week?

no not at all she is very young and is learning lots she wont be confused , i have just trained my 10 month old boy to go in his crate after training the younger pup , they soon learn that that is the place to go..

sorry if ive missed this but another thing to think about is,, has she had any of her vaccs and up to date with worming etc.. not sure if its been mentioned as yet???.

i strongly recomend a crate . i couldnt be without one now...

Sorry, I didn't clarify the pooping in the crate thing :eek:

What I meant was, you could put her litter tray in one end and bed at the other - keep her confined to the crate overnight but still give her somewhere to "go". In the long run, it's better to have the litter tray wherever you want it but I was just thinking of overnight accidents until she can be trained to go outside. :eek:

Crates are fantastic - you know she's safe when you leave the house ie NOT going to chew on a cord and electrocute herself or create general chaos when you're not there to supervise. Also fantastic for trips in the car and vets etc. I find my crates to be invaluable for my dogs. :rofl:

the crate thing sounds like a really good idea...and we both do want to move her to the bedroom as it is warmer..i really feel sorry for her in the laundry coz it is tiled and cold...if only there were a ducted heating in there...poor little munchkin....

Ooohhh.... I am going to make you jealous!!! Cleo, who will be one in July, never got into the habit of chewing anything except her toys :eek: She is a dream puppy to have :rofl:

Took quite awhile to fully toilet train her though. 4 months before she didn't make a single slip up. I crated her in my bedroom, but only at night, so I knew when she needed to go toilet as she would "knock" on her crate door to be let out. Whilst she learned very quickly not to toilet in the bedroom, it took her awhile to learn not to toilet in the rest of the house. Now she just sits by the door and barks when she needs to go.

By the way, any chance of posting more photos...... PLEASE :eek: ???!!!!!

omg cleo is a hottie!!! what kind of doggie is she?...she is soooooooooo cute in ur avatar pic!!!

here is a photo of electra playing soccer..hehe...she has the world cup fever thats going round!!!

0019.jpg

GO SOCCEROOOS!!!!!

we gave her a nice bath yesterday she loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved it...omg she was soooo cute all wet and skinny...i put a bath towel

on our ducted heating and she snuggled into it...hehe....

0012.jpg

she is getting the hang of pooping & peeing outside....we have to teach her to pooop in the laundry now....she is getting the jist of the outsideness

but the laundry..just like you we are going to have to be very patient and very consistent

post some more pics of cuuuutie cleo...would love to see her up to mischief..hehe

The pup in my avatar is not Cleo but Pepper my Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Pepper died many years ago, rather prematurely at the tender age of 2yo. I adored her no end and still miss her despite the many passing years.

Cleo is my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. This is Cleo on her first day home.

post-7025-1151353060_thumb.jpg

Edited by cleo

thanks ladies...thanks missymoo for the encouragement..i hope one day ...sooon... to become a good mummy to alittle human being..so practising with a puppy is probably our first step...hehe

cleo thanks for the pics...ur two little pups are so pretty and gorrrgeous..hehe .. little angels...hehe...

im sure i will have loads and loads more questions for all these wise and knowledgeable women and people on these forums...i thank each and everyone one of them for taking the time out to help me...and electra of course..hehe...

I haven't had a puppy in some time, and these products weren't on the market then, so other members may be able to tell you about them and whether they work , it's a soft toy that provides warmth and has a heart beat....novelty perhaps, I'm not sure.

b0_1_b.JPG

Click here

Edited by sas

OMG!!!! this is spooky!! our friends just left and told us about these things..hehehe...this is so freaky! like u were here listening to our conversation..hehehe...oh god!...but yea our friends have heard of these and that they are fantastic...i might invest in it...

one thing that i havent asked about...well i dont think i have is..what can i feed my little puppy now that she is teething...she cant chew and swallow doggie bikkies .. at the moment we are feeding her this meatloaf stuff we got from the pet shop..its lamb and veggies...my huisband got this "optimum" brand stuff from coles i think its chicken and veggies...at the moment electra is drinking water...can i give her milk? what sort of milk? she doesnt seem to be a big water drinker...

xoxo