A Question For Those With Large Double Coated Breeds

Hello all :laugh: I'm going to be getting my first large double coated breed (white shepherd) soon and am currently going through all the grooming equipment I will need.

Besides the usual slicker brush, coat rake, shedding blade, comb, nail clippers and the like I was wondering if any other owners owned a grooming table and/or a dogs hair dryer? I can see the benefit of a grooming table and really think I will buy one but I'm not sure if it is worth my while to buy a dryer or not? Everywhere I read says they don't need to be bathed very often but then I think well when I do bath her how am I going to thoroughly dry her. I can just imagine it would take me forever to use a conventional hairdryer like I do with the toy poodle :laugh:

So what do others do with their double coated breeds?

Thanks in advance :rofl:

ETA: Has anyone used or own a FURminator? Are they really as good as the website suggests? http://www.elegantdogshop.com.au/furminator.html

Edited by veanna

Air force dryers are invaluable with double coats as far as I am concerned, especially when they are dropping coat. Makes for a blizzard of hair, but is really effective and speeds up the grooming process. A table is an excellent back saver.

Thanks Nadia, you're right, a grooming table will really save ya back. That's a definate I think :rofl: When it comes to dryers is there certain brands that wouldn't be powerful enough for a large dog? I've noticed there's some smaller ones on ebay which are about $100 (I really don't have the money for a $500 one) but I dont want to buy something that is not going to do the job.

Veanna, the furminator isnt as good as I had hoped, I had actually read about it on a Canadian grooming forum to which I belong about 15 months ago and IMHO not as good as an undercoat rake.

Speaking from experience with my own dogs and having groomed and bathed many long and double coated breeds such as Malamutes, Shepherds, Newfies, Huskies and Samoyeds a good dryer is invaluable not just for drying the dog but as Nadia has said for loosening and biffing the coat when they are shedding.

I too have a grooming table but many such as Newfies I simply cant lift up.

Also have an extending ramp to get large dogs into the hydroabath, and some will walk up it on to the table.

Hi veanna. :laugh:

My two dogs are Maremmas; Well noted for their double coat and regular sheading.

I neither use a dryer or a grooming table.

One of my mentors has twelve Maremmas and we bath them outside with hoses.

I like to use towels because I believe they add some shared time with each dog and the look on their faces is invaluable.

At Shows, after many different approaches, I find it just as easy to brush them standing up, and there is no heavy lifting.

The dogs appear much more content to have all their feet on the ground.

However, for our next show I am going to use a Mobile Groomer because I believe that the dogs need a range of different experiences.

Well, I hope that helps to inform.

:rofl:

Used to have a Liberty with the equiv. of 3 vaccum cleaner motors which I thought was the bees knees but then purchased a K9 and can dry a Husky in less than 10 minutes, it was developed in the US for drying show cattle :rofl: but $$$, have a look through the classifieds here and maybe contact Nicestman77 who is a member of these forums. He used to be a groomer and now has a clipper/scissor business, think he also had dryers.

No need to lift any heavy dog onto a table, large breeds can normally jump onto a lower table or at least put their front feet up, or you can use a ramp.

If $$$s are a problem if you have a blow feature on your vaccum cleaner it can be effective too.

Small dryers that dry by heat rather than airforce are not effective and quite damaging to coat and skin, not to mention SLOW. I can remember drying my Afghan with my Breville hairdryer many many years ago, took half the day..LOL

An airforce dryer like the one Hesapandabear mentioned use air velocity to blow the water out of the coat and seperate the hairs and blow out loose dead coat.

hmm will have to go have a look at the vacuum cleaner :rofl: ok so look for an airforce one, no problem, will have a search and see what I can find :laugh:

Thanks for your help guys! This will be my first large breed and one that I have been wanting for 6 years so I want to do EVERYTHING right :laugh:

Hi Veanna, as a groomer and a fellow GSD (black n gold though!) owner I couldn't push you enough to get a good dryer. When they start molting it is a sanity saver!

Warm water, a 10min soak in conditioner and a thorough blow dry means I barely have to brush my boy on his bath days.

I wouldn't use the FURminator or a coatking on my own Shepherd - I don't like the cutting, and with Furminator/carding, it works better on Rotties and Labs than the longer coated dogs like Shepherds, Huskies and Goldies

:rofl:

I have an Oldfield which has changed my life. Having three cockers to dry off every day (their choice to get wet, not mine) it has made grooming time so much easier and faster. The force of the air is such that it blows all the dead fur, leaves, grass seeds, debris etc out of their coats, and lets you see the dog's skin, as well as any knots, as you dry them off.

The dogs enjoy it also (once they get used to the noise) as it like having a massage.

Thankyou!

Thanks for the comments on the furmanator to Vehs, after reading about it on a grooming forum there were quite a few people who didn't like it.

will stick with grooming supplies that I know work :rofl:

hey im a mobile groomer, and this might sound like a strange suggestion, but I use a sports towel to dry of any excess water before actually using a dryer, (you know, the ones that are made to soak up sweat which you can get from any sports store.) they are usually bout $30 and i have found that they soak up so much water to start with that it really makes drying quicker, it was taking anything from 20-25 mins to dry the double coated dogs (maybe even longer depending on the dog) and with the use of the sports towel it brings it down to 10-15 mins!!!!and with dogs like staffys who have the short coats and tend not to like the dryer u can practically dry them with just the sports towel....oh and they last for ever like a year plus and thats washing 10+ dogs a day 5 days a week!!!!!anyway just alittle tip i thought you might be able to use!!!!

I looked into the sports towels, from camping outlets, and they are $$$, better to get some chamois for the excess water.

I used to sit on my toolbox to dry the bigger dogs and it would kill my back, but then I was probably doing 5/6 big dogs per day.

Its all about what suits you the best.

Re the vacuum cleaners, yep tried one, but not as effective as the airforced K9 dryer, but then again being a groomer I had multiple dogs to do.