Locking Puppy Outside

BrunoBella

Hi guys

Thought I might throw this question out to those people with more experience. My dog Bella (2.5 years) and my puppy Bruno (now 4 mths old) have been sharing a laundry happily since their third week together. They have access to the backyard for toileting overnight.

The last week or so I have been woken up by the pup banging to get in the laundry through dog door and Bella sitting inside growling at him preventing his entry :laugh: . It's not a big problem and I am assuming this is caused by Bruno becoming bigger and more dominant but I've never had two dogs before so am not sure.

Have been telling Bella off for this (low growl, Let Bruno In). Should I let them sort it out or should I intervene during the and/or middle of the night :rofl: . (I am thinking a plot for attention seeking :laugh: )

Thanks in advance multiple growly dog experts

Edited by BellasPerson

I wonder if its a pack leader issue BP? Maybe with the pup coming in and becoming more confident in his new home, has there been a shift in pack dynamics i.e Bella has risen up the ladder a little and you've dropped a little, just enough for her to be trying to exert a little of her authority around the house.... and what better time when you're in bed and out of sight!! Just a thought! :D Whenever I've seen Dads working dogs throw their weight around its normally when he's out of sight - mind you he only has to yell and they all sit there with a "what - we weren't doing anything" butter-wouldn't-melt-in-their-mouth look on their faces! :laugh:

Maybe in the short term, if its not an issue, prop the door open so the pup can get in easier :rofl: Might work, might not :laugh: At least you'd get a full nights sleep :)

Edited by feralpup

Thanks for the reply feralpup. The pack dynamics are shifting cause I started using the NILIF program and Bella is pushing back and testing her boundaries with me as she is pissed off about the change of rules. Hopefully this will settle when she realises I'm not going back to my old ways of doing a few things when she wants. :laugh: I hadn't put the two together about her throwing Bruno out about the same time as I started NILIF :laugh:

Propping the door won't help. Bruno is not game to go inside when Bella is growling at him even though she not physically blocking the door. Will have to learn to sleep heavier :rofl:

Sometimes things can be to obvious to notice :rofl:

Pup is also getting to the age when Bella will no longer let him get away with baby things and will start to expect him to toe the line. At times like this, unless you see her going to far, it is better to let her put him in his place.

An update:

I dutifully locked the dog door so Bruno couldn't get locked out. Slept all night and this morning opened the door to find Psycho Puppy :D leaping around my laundry, baskets everywhere, water dribbled over the beds and Bella looking at me balefully.

Now I understand why she locks him out at 3am :rofl::laugh::laugh:

:rofl:

How funny. If one of mine get off the bed (yes they share a queen size bed) The other wont let it back on the bed so they come and wake me up to sort it out.... ;)

Fly learnt this behaviour as she was taught by my older dog, fly taught ruger when he was young, so now he does it back to her....

I'd say Bella is just asserting her authority over him, he might be pushing her at the moment....It does sound funny though, i had to laugh.

I do laugh nearly all the time just not at 3am :eek::eek:

Bruno and Bella both have a basket - Bella wants to sleep by herself and Bruno wants to sleep with Bella - this is a cause of much growling and whining :rofl::rofl:. I agree Bella will be asserting her authority. Bruno is lovely as always but he is getting bigger, testing his boundaries and being a lot more active. I wouldn't like to sleep with Bruno ;)

Charley started out a crate in my room so I could hear her when she wanted to go out. She never messed in the crate.

Leo was so besotted that when it came time for her to have run of the house with him he didn't care about it at all.

PS They now both sleep on the bed with me. I know I'm pathetic.