Problem New Cat And New Dog (puppy)

Gemmarow

I now this a common problem but here goes.

New Puppy, Cavalier King Charles, Tri colour. Yes she was brought from a breeder, 11 weeks old. Called Jetta.

The breeder has tried to help. The kitten is a British short hair, 13 weeks old. Called Cookie.

The problem that I have is the kitten will only eat the bog food and the dog will only eat the cat food.

I am trying to feed both on Advantage for puppy's and Advantage for Kittens. When I purchased the kitten I was not expecting to be able to get a puppy for about 4 to 6 months.

The breeder told me that the puppy would be fine on the kitten food but the kitten would not get every thing that it needs from the puppy food.

Has anyone had this problem, or have any advice.

Both the puppy and the kitten are due to go to vets next week for a check up and 2nd vacnation.

For every one that likes pictures here are two of Jetta the puppy and one of Cookie the kitten.

post-8042-1151143214_thumb.jpg

post-8042-1151143242_thumb.jpg

post-8042-1151143651_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gemmarow

How about if you feed the dog with the cat not there. Leave the food for 15 minutes and take the rest away. This teaches the pup to eat quickly (which dogs do in the wild I think). Then put the cats food up high where the pup can't reach it.

If the pup doesn't eat all his food the first few times he won't starve but he will learn quickly to eat when you want him to. This helps with showing that you're top dog.

Very confusing starting with two animals at once. You have to be slave to the cat and boss to the dog :rofl:

Good luck

LOL @ BP - that is very true!!! :laugh:

Gemmarow - my cats love the dog food but I keep it away from them because the mineral balance in puppy/dog food really isn't good for cats.

I would follow BP's advice in regards to feeding the pup - 15 minutes and thats it, take it away so it learns to eat it while its there. It will need a few feeds a day, but I would keep the pup away from the cat food as well otherwise it will learn that there's always another source of food if it doesn't like what its been fed. (or its a guts like mine! :) ).

As for the kitten, I ended up buying my two the same brand of food because they would mug me for the dog food. They now mug me for their cat food! Maybe its a matter of trying a few different brands for both animals to see which ones they like. My pup didn't like her original puppy food, took me a while to figure it out as she has a healthy appetite anyway. :D

If you speak with your local source of petfood, they will probably get you a sample of other foods on the market, I know the local Petstock where I am has quite a few samples available in store.

Very cute pics by the way!!! :rofl::laugh:

I have a kitten and puppy as well, the kitten is a little guts she wants to get everyone's food! I feed them in seperate rooms. I have an older dog and older cat as well. The older pets are pretty polite. I have keep kitten away from older kitty at meal times as well.

Thanks everyone.

Have allready tried a couple of the sugestions.

Re. Feeding in seperate rooms.

Taking away the food after a set amount of time.

But some how (this could be the human kids) the seams to put back on the floor. :rofl::laugh: :D

Could I just re check one thing, it is not sujested that the kitten eats the puppy food. Is this correct? :laugh:

Please Help.

Horses are easy to feed. Can do them with no problems, but my horses may just be greedy.

The cat definitely gets cat food. If this is turning up on the floor it is probably your skin kids (that's children :rofl:) being helpful. Might have to do some re-education there! Or try a note on the bowl if you have big skin kids.

I would image horses would be much simpler to feed :laugh: