1st Try At Drive Training - Wow!

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Reddog21: She's a dobermann. If you did get some shots of her I'd love to see them.

Sorry feralpup I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I really should have started a new one :thumbsup:

And also it's great the see your about to enjoy the benefits of training in drive. :thumbsup:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost the same thing here...

I tried drive training the Sunday after Steves workshop in VIC and Harley loved it but we were so focussed on his "walking on a lead" issue that we put drive training on hold.

Last night I thought maybe drive training would improve his focus on me (and maybe that would help him focus on me when outside too - eventually).

So I decided to give drive training another go...

I pulled our little ball and string toy out of its hiding place (Harley has seen it once, almost a month ago) and Harley went crazy... I couldnt believe that he actually remembered the toy!!!

He absolutely loved it - he took a few times before he realised that he needed to sit when I asked to get the toy but he worked it out. The cheeky boy even tried turning in the opposite direction from me to get the toy!!

When we do the heilcopter though he dropped the toy and then chewed on the lead (till he realised I had the toy and was ready to go again). Is this normal??

Once we were over I had the hardest time getting the toy inside - Harley was lunging for it and jumping up - I completely understand when people say drive training hurts!!!! :whisper:

- Gillian

Does anyone else other than k9 offer teh drive training? In melbourne?

I would be interested in some training in drive training. I'm in Ballarat but would travel if it means my little psycho could learn to behave outside!!! Or can K8 teach us via coraspondance?

K9: Im K8 only once or twice a year, the rest IM 100% K9... lol..

There is someone currently discussion a Ballarat workshop in November, I also have distance learning packages for training in drive...

Workshops will be much better though

Almost the same thing here...

I tried drive training the Sunday after Steves workshop in VIC and Harley loved it but we were so focussed on his "walking on a lead" issue that we put drive training on hold.

Last night I thought maybe drive training would improve his focus on me (and maybe that would help him focus on me when outside too - eventually).

So I decided to give drive training another go...

I pulled our little ball and string toy out of its hiding place (Harley has seen it once, almost a month ago) and Harley went crazy... I couldnt believe that he actually remembered the toy!!!

He absolutely loved it - he took a few times before he realised that he needed to sit when I asked to get the toy but he worked it out. The cheeky boy even tried turning in the opposite direction from me to get the toy!!

When we do the heilcopter though he dropped the toy and then chewed on the lead (till he realised I had the toy and was ready to go again). Is this normal??

Once we were over I had the hardest time getting the toy inside - Harley was lunging for it and jumping up - I completely understand when people say drive training hurts!!!! :o

- Gillian

K9: Thats great news Gillian, it must be a sight seeing that big fella bouncing after the ball...

:whisper:

There is someone currently discussion a Ballarat workshop in November, I also have distance learning packages for training in drive...

Workshop in Ballarat...... yessssss book me in please!!! :whisper:

K9: Thats great news Gillian, it must be a sight seeing that big fella bouncing after the ball...

will take pictures of him going after the ball over the weekend - he loves it !

Questions time please K9:

After we spin and I say sit, he sits and then I throw the ball for him and he has a play but then as soon as I pick up the lead to helicopter him and he drops the toy and goes straight for the lead. He drops the lead as soon as he sees the toy in my hand though.

Just not sure why he does this??

(He's done this the last two nights....)

Thanks

Gillian

After we spin and I say sit, he sits and then I throw the ball for him and he has a play but then as soon as I pick up the lead to helicopter him and he drops the toy and goes straight for the lead. He drops the lead as soon as he sees the toy in my hand though.

K9: drop the toy into his mouth, dont throw it away for him..

He wanst to keep control so he grabs the leash.. it will go away...

Seeing the change in her so quickly is one of the most rewarding things for me.

Hey Gigi - Congratulations on your success, but i'd like to say that it doesn't sound like it was so quick. It's obvious that you put in a heap of work and that is the main reason that you got your results! If only more people had the patience to keep plugging away like you did and wait it out for that inspirational 'turning point'. Ziggy is obviously a poster girl for the benefits of keeping on keeping on when faced with a tough nut!

Again congratulations! You deserve it! :laugh:

I cannot call him cute, as it does not suit his size, what about beautiful?

I'm ok with "Beautiful" :laugh:

We've only been doing it for a few days now... his sits are not very fast though - how long before I can get a fast sit?

Now about those other toys around?

Yes I have noticed them as well....

I have a toy questions than for the gurus and experienced guys.

My baby girl - call her the Master Thief considers everything her toy.

So that you understand my question I might describe the every day life for clarity.

Mornings and nights we do 2-3 minutes of teh official prey drive building, not exactly how the good doctor prescribed but I can see some improvement already its only been a week.

I get home at 6.30-7pm after being absent for about 9-10 hours. Master Thief is alone outside the whole time, King of the Sofa is inside. MT has no toys outside, only stuff she will find in the garden, hence my plants have all been reduced in size.

I let them get together for a while when MT goes into overjoy of happyness (just like her name describes) and they play a bit while I get out of the work clothes etc. I than take KotS out for a run, she stays at home with some food, she is too small to run with him and he bosses her around way to much.

We get back and this is where it all starts. She is basically non stop active, wants to play with me, Rex or when OH comes back with him, untill we go to bed at about 11 pm.

Like the good doctor ordered there are no toys about really, but than anything and everything becomes a toy, despite how tidy the home is.

So between peeling the potatoes, making phone calls, checking paperwork I do a tug with her. My meals are cooked in a way so that when I eat I dont have to use knife and fork, only fork so I have a spare hand for the tug and throwing toys.

But there are times when I just cant have my eyes on her all the time and if there are no toys about than she will find somehting for herslef to play with, and its usually something that I dont want her to have.

So just like parents put the TV on for the kids to shut them up for a while I give Ms Master Thief a toy to play with.

Is that a crime in the training terms?

Yesterday I gave her a pigs ear, him a pigs ear, WWIII broke out almost.

So we will not be doing that again. There was a bone outside and no matter what dog was on which side of the glass door - war over the bone. We are not going to have any wars, hence bone confiscated, ears confiscated, but than how do I keep her occupied for the short times I have to do something while I dont give her full attention?

I could lock her up in the crate, but I feel Ill be suppressing her somehow, not sure.

so those that have a full time job, a house to look after shopping to do etc, what do we do? How od we overcome no extra toys policy?

Edited by myszka