1st Try At Drive Training - Wow!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there are times when I just cant have my eyes on her all the time and if there are no toys about than she will find somehting for herslef to play with, and its usually something that I dont want her to have.

So just like parents put the TV on for the kids to shut them up for a while I give Ms Master Thief a toy to play with.

K9: one word, crate...

So we will not be doing that again. There was a bone outside and no matter what dog was on which side of the glass door - war over the bone. We are not going to have any wars, hence bone confiscated, ears confiscated, but than how do I keep her occupied for the short times I have to do something while I dont give her full attention?

K9: one word, same word, crate... :rolleyes:

one more q than

in the crate bedding becomes the toy, no bedding she will chew the crate.

Anything is a toy.

If I give her a toy to occupy herself she goes to bed and chews on it for a while by herself than just relaxes and either snoozes off or just watched me do stuff.

my boy whines when he's bored...

she does as well, but I ignore that totally and now she does it only for a short period of time, less than a minute maybe even less than 30 sec, than does the big sigh and just looks around.

At least I have done this one thing right...

when we're home I ignore the whining but we noticed (by accident) that when Harleys bored at home, he'll whine (he's outside) - then he'll start standing up against all the fences and look over at what the neighbours are doing.

We're making the fences higher now - dont want any complaints from the neighbours :rolleyes:

If I'm not playing with horror head, he's in his yard or in his crate. Put a bone in the crate with her, or a pigs ear, that way no fights! I don't think a bone constitutes a toy, especially if it's part of their diet for the day. But to horror head EVERYTHING is a toy!! My clothes, socks, shoes and slippers, pieces of bark, clothes pegs, empty AND full toilet rolls, they are all fair game. (We won't even talk about when I saw him trot through the house with the toilet brush the other day........ ;) ) So what do you do in that instance? I'm lucky because I can take him to work with me and I'm home a fair bit as well, so he gets to play with me almost constantly, but when he's out of the crate, he just grabs everything that's on hand and plays with it!! :rolleyes: What do you do in that situation?

Re bone - one dog was outside one inside, war through glass door. hence I think there will be a war through the crate door unless I lock one in another room.

That is not fair to one or the other if the family is all together and is isolated for no apparent reason.

I mean I can almost feed them together, one on my right one on the left but I have to stand there and watch, gawd forbid I leave them alone with food.

My Ms Theif Master is the same, basically constant posession of somehting new, anything cought on the run. New posession every minute, if no new things than the corner of the sofa is perfect as well. :rolleyes:

I do a swap for a toy immiediatelly than a tug etc but I have to leave her to her own devices from time to time.

If I give her a toy/bone she is on her bed chewing on it, how does it differ to being in a crate with a bone?

Or do I let her chew the bone on her bed and just watch the King of the Sofa, he is easier to manage than her, he can just heel with me non stop and do sit stays non stop.

If I'm not playing with horror head, he's in his yard or in his crate. Put a bone in the crate with her, or a pigs ear, that way no fights! I don't think a bone constitutes a toy, especially if it's part of their diet for the day. But to horror head EVERYTHING is a toy!! My clothes, socks, shoes and slippers, pieces of bark, clothes pegs, empty AND full toilet rolls, they are all fair game. (We won't even talk about when I saw him trot through the house with the toilet brush the other day........ ;) ) So what do you do in that instance? I'm lucky because I can take him to work with me and I'm home a fair bit as well, so he gets to play with me almost constantly, but when he's out of the crate, he just grabs everything that's on hand and plays with it!! :rolleyes: What do you do in that situation?

Sounds like my house, especially if I delayed for early morning training. I admit though, when Yank has brought me articles around the house (like 40 books one morning), I rewarded him so he thinks it is an OK behaviour. After training, he is more settled. With my other dogs the habit of constantly finding their own motivation did recede with time. Exercise, exercise, training, training, helps. I love the active naughty YOUNG ones.

What is helicopetering? Is there where a dog grips onto a toy and then you swing them around you while they have hold of the toy in their mouth? Just curious have seen this done at flyball, and sometimes my dog will grip a toy and hang on even though he is a little off the ground, but I haven't swung him around. Can doing this hurt their neck or their back? Just curious. Do the dogs enjoy it?

I love the naughtieness of my puppy as well. She of course does settle down after training, the settling down is basically her going to bed and playing this a toy of some sort, it could be a bread crumb found on the floor :rofl:

I have locked her up in the crate last night when I had to do stuff, she just ate the bed... :dropjaw:

When I was ready I moved her to her bed near the sofa and watched a bit TV she just rolled on the bed trying to play with my hands.

So is that ok or not? or should she be in a crate than as well?or she should be on the bed not playing. or should I kick her outside (really dont want that she is alone enough as is)?

What is helicopetering?

here is one for you :dropjaw::rofl::(

post-3337-1152066779_thumb.jpg

what you descibe is a tug, if not done correctly one can possibly injure the dogs neck.

We are talking about walking the dog in a circle after the dog captured the toy, without the handler holding the toy.

That is only to give you a brief idea, it can not be explained - well I cant - youd need a demo.

Edited by myszka

Can someone plz explain in detail about this drive training? Is it about using a toy and working with the dogs drive to get it to do obedience? So rather than using food your dog works to the game with the toy at the end? What are the specifics of this training? Does it involve corrections, or just based on the toy itself? I'm just curious thats all.....

K9: Explaining how to train a dog to "achieve drive satisfaction" is quite a task so that people may understand the steps, even in an environment such as a workshop or seminar, over the internet would be impossible...

The thread mentioned has some good info though...