Help: New Puppy And Older Dog

doit4thedogz

Hi everyone.

I bought a 12 week old male Staffy puppy 5 days ago. The problem is, he is a dominant little boy and my older female is also a dominant dog. I've tried to let them play around, sniff each other and work each other out. But it has now been 5 days and they still can't play and stay together withou problems. My female plays too rough with him, knocking him over, holding him down and now they have started mouthing each other.

I'm afraid she will seriously hurt him. He's a small pup and she is almost 23 kgs. I thought they would sort out their issues after a while, but no this continues to go one.

They're driving me crazy as I can't let them play unless I have my eyes on them.

Help PLease!! Anyone!!

Edited by doit4thedogz

I think you should let her assert her authority over him. If they are just mouthing and making noise, its fairly normal. The female will accept a certain amount of 'cheek' from him, but girls know best and know how to boss best. She will win in the end and sort him out hopefully. Continue to keep an eye on them, it takes a while for things to get sorted.

Im sorry to sound harsh but what did you expect??You seriously didnt think a 12 week old & mature adult could just be left out to play together .It will be atleast 6 months before you can fully trust harsh playtime .At this stage its simply a case of putting yourself out & allowing for small play sessions until the pup is old enough & not so fragile to romp around

Alot of the time he's not even interested, or wanting to fight. She does all the rough rumble. He's just walking around and minding his own business. If she hurts him he will yelp, or bark.

I think this is more of a jealously issue. I do spend time alone wtih her.

She won't leave him alone and really roughs him up.

My new pup, Bruno, got beaten up for two weeks. I taught Bella the word gentle which helped heaps. After two more weeks I could let them play unsupervised. Now they play together fine all the time.

Bella was the only dog that suffered injuries in all this. She got bitten on the nose four times by Bruno :thumbsup: .

There is a lot of growling, snapping and barking which is normal but took me a while to get used to. Yelping is not good but if you watch the dogs, the offender should stop being rough if the other one yelps. If they don't then you should intervene.

This is not an issue of jealousy, just normal dog behaviour. :)

Have fun

Hi everyone.

I bought a 12 week old male Amerian Staffy puppy 5 days ago. The problem is, he is a dominant little boy and my older female is also a dominant dog. I've tried to let them play around, sniff each other and work each other out. But it has now been 5 days and they still can't play and stay together withou problems. My female plays too rough with him, knocking him over, holding him down and now they have started mouthing each other.

Hi,

I would not be interfering much. I to have just added a new pup to my pack and boy can the older dogs sound and look feirce when the pup gets to asking them to play. The pack has an order of it's own that has to be worked out before the calm returns. Only the dogs can sort that out.

In my case I have added a 3 month old pup to a 5 dog pack. The pup is VERY safe with them in spite of what people with little idea of dog laungage think. She is fitting in super well and a week after ariving she's got things well sussed.

This is not the first time I have added a pup or for that matter an older dog and only once in many years have I had trouble needing vet treatment. The instagtor was moved on as he had no intention of getting along with the new dog.

I have a couple of rules here that are equally important.

Nu 1= I am the boss and you will behave.

Nu 2 = Get on or get out

Cheers

Linda

You need to interfere when it gets over the top its not as simple as saying "let them go for it".

In our house all the dogs are equal & we have no issues at all but when a new baby is allowed to jointhe pack we do so carefully,some will try the strut about stuff which we do not allow,the main issue is simply rough play that the pup isnt able to stand up too .

The bitch needs to understand the pup is no threat but you cant let her get away with it.Both dogs must be equal in your eye & you are the pack leader.Whilst the older dog will try to be the pack leader you must also as the owner set the rules whilst he is young & not hormonal or inclined to react & she must learn that she isnt the queen bee.

definatly let the older dog assert its dominance over the pup that way they establish the pecking order between them from the start. If they are only mouthing at each other with some noise dont be alarmed just supervise their playing time as much as you can so if anything agressive happens you can take the appropiate action. My dogs are the other way around the older dominant dog is under 10kgs and my pup is 6months and he is towering over her although he weighs 24kgs, SHE is the dominant dog, she gets him on the ground in a dominant down(standing over the top of him while he is in a submissive position). Thats the way THE DOGS sorted it out form day dot.It is best to let them sort it out as long as your comfortable with how rough the dogs are playing then its best to leave it to them

Personally I think you cant really interfere by not 'letting her get away with it' makes them resent the puppy and you.

How do you get all your dogs to establish equal pack order Showdog? may i ask what breed you have?

Rugerfly very easily,i am the pack leader not the dogs all are equal,no one gets preference .

I have setters & mini schnauzers.

We have 6 males that run together & 4 are stud dogs .Plus the females .

The dogs here dont sort anything its simply one rule for all & in over 24 plus years no troubles at all & the dogs are very social here & in the outside world

In that time we also had greys,GSD &the same rules applied

I know how you feel. We had a 9 year old dog when we got a 8 week old pup. The 9 year old rejected him at first and would not even be in the same room. We made sure that we ALWAYS patted the older first when they were both together always gave him his food first etc. After 2 weeks he had accepted the new pup.

We had the same problem with the rough play. We left it alone if it was barking at eachother and mouthing. But if the older one did hurt the pup and make him yelp we would give him a little smack on the nose and pat the pup. He soon learnt that it was wrong to get that rough and if he did the pup got the attention...... So he stopped. All is great now!! ;)