Vommitting Bile

Hey everyone

One of my dogs has been vommitting up a yellow, mucusy fluid. He's been doing this for a while, but it seems to be getting more frequent. Should I be worried about it? Sometimes theres peices of bone or some hair in the vomit, other times its just the fluid, so I dont know whats causing it, but he never seems to vomit his dry food. I feed him pedigree dry dog food and RMBs.

Other than the vommitting he seems healthy. His coat is shiny, and he's still active.

Help? :thumbsup:

Edited by German Shepherd Lover

My Bob used to vomit in the mornings until I started giving him a couple of bikkies at bedtime to keep something in his tummy. I feed him twice a day as well. Some people with this problem split daily meals into 3 giving a small one before bed.

Obviously if it doesn't settle down off to the vet.

The yellow fluid is probably bile, which is due to an empty stomach.

Questioning this (and not picking on you directly, CnR .... just chose your quote to bring up :thumbsup:).

I know that the yellow fluid is bile, but from incidents I've seen throughout the various illnesses my own dog has endured from time to time, the bile can be present either with food (having just eaten or eaten a little while before) or without. What I'm questioning is the vomiting being due to an empty stomach.

My understanding is that in a normal, healthy dog, it is good to allow their digestive system to have a break, so I wouldn't think it normal for a dog to be vomiting bile only because its tummy was empty.

If it were me, seeing as this has been occurring for a while and is becoming more frequent, I'd have the dog checked out by your Vet.

I agree with Erny here totally, this is not a normal thing to happen on a regular basis.

I would err on the side of caution and go for a total Vet Check

I lost my beloved Rough Collie "Maggie" this time last year to Inflammatroy Bowel Disease and one of the very first symptoms was the throwing up of yellow bile and it took me a long time to make him look past the "Oh but she is probably hungry stage".

Maggie was just under 8 yrs of age.

I agree with Erny here totally, this is not a normal thing to happen on a regular basis.

I would err on the side of caution and go for a total Vet Check

Thank you, IR. I was uncomfortable with the OP's description of his/her dog's ailment, although I was beginning to doubt my instincts given the other posts.

I reflect back to dogs in the wild .... they would go for days without food. I wonder how their survival would have fared if they vomited because they didn't have breakfast AND dinner each day. Research tells me dogs' digestive systems haven't altered THAT much with evolution.

Sometimes one of the poodles will do this if they have eaten something that they shouldn't have. They will vomit until it comes out and like you have mentioned there is usually some hair or foreign thing in it as well. Did you feed any bones prior to this happening? I have found some chicken neck bones unchewed and undigested in the vomit at times. If it persists I would consult your vet though.

Usually dogs will graze on grass to make themselves sick to expel any nasties that are in the belly either up or down...

JAG- Weeks, and its becomming almost a daily thing now.

I feed him once a day at night, and he has bones to chew on during the day while i'm out. Usually he vommits either in the morning or at night a bit before dinner.

Sometimes he brings up peices of bone, but he vomits anyway even if he hasnt had any bones.

He's an inside dog, and I've never seen him eat grass to make himself vomit.. and there is no grass or plant material in the bile he brings up.

Thanks everyone for the fast replies. I think I will have a talk with my vet about it and try him on two meals a day, and on a better food guess, but its hard to find stuff that he will eat.

If he is sick, are there other symptoms I should watch for?

Thanks everyone for the fast replies. I think I will have a talk with my vet about it and try him on two meals a day, and on a better food guess, but its hard to find stuff that he will eat.

If he is sick, are there other symptoms I should watch for?

If it's daily then definitely speak to your vet. What stood out to me was the fact that your dog obviously is fussy/refuses food. This was Bob's first symptom of IBD/food intolerances. He would just not eat and I'm talking about a 3 month old puppy who is growing and should be hungry. Don't be fooled into thinking he'll eat if he's hungry until you have explored all other avenues.

My dog vomited within two minutes after his morning meal this morning. This happened three times in the last 10 days, but only morning meals. I think he was eating too fast on an empty stomach. I gave his dry food again one hour after and he was fine. About 10 days ago he was vomiting bile (Lots of it) when I took him out for a walk, within mins he went to the toilet and he was happy. Should I be concern?

Edited by panda

My dog vomited within two minutes after his morning meal this morning. This happened three times in the last 10 days, but only morning meals. I think he was eating too fast on an empty stomach. I gave his dry food again one hour after and he was fine. About 10 days ago he was vomiting bile (Lots of it) when I took him out for a walk, within mins he went to the toilet and he was happy. Should I be concern?

I look at it this way... if it was you or one of your children [if you have them] then what would you do? If he's simply eating too fast and that's what is causing this you need to find a way to slow him down. The occasional vomit is not usually a problem, sometimes they just overeat or feel a bit off. Dogs will occasionally vomit once and that's it, seems to make them feel better, but there can be a variety of more serious reasons as well.

He's not refusing food, just fussy about what he eats. As a pup he wasnt interested much in food; I discovered this when I took him to training classes (around Feb last year) and treats didnt motivate him... And he hardly ever finished an entire bowl of food.

First time he started bringing up bile was when I moved him on to adult food and started feeding him one meal a day... this was when he was about 8 or 9 months old..and he would do this occasionally in the early morning, waking me up with coughing/retching sounds. Never thought much of it because its normal for dogs to vommit every once and a while. Originally I was going to keep feeding him the puppy food untill he was 1 year old and keep him on two meals a day so i could feed him and the cat at the same time. But my instructor kind of insisted that i put him on adult food and move him down to one meal and stop "babying" him.

He's about a year and a half old now...

Feeding him once a day he'll eat a bowlful, but yesterday when i fed him two meals he left some of it in the bowl. On the plus side though, he didnt vomit at all. I fed him this morning and he hasnt vommited today either..

Either way, I'll be speaking with my vet about it tomorrow when I take my other dog down to have his stitches out...

This was also a daily occurance for us, until we stopped the bones. It can happen that they get so obsessed about trying to get the the Marrow that they chew and chew the bone and swallow bits and pieces that dont seem to digest.

No more bones, no more vomiting and our dogs are fed morning only. :rofl:

But my instructor kind of insisted that i put him on adult food and move him down to one meal and stop "babying" him.

He's about a year and a half old now...

Sorry - but your instructor doesnt know what he's talking about! :laugh:

Edited cos I figure its probably not polite to call someone an idiot, even on an online forum :)

Edited by MrsD