Teething Puppy

Dogs4Fun

Hi all,

It a LOONNGG time since I had a puppy underfoot. My 4mth standard poodle is starting teething and now is chomping that much harder on everything. Quite understandable and all very normal. And he is excellent about only chewing what he is offered ... so far anyway :laugh:

So he has all his normal chew toys, works his way through pigs ears and regular meaty bones (lamb flaps), and we are extra vigalant about leaving anything about, but I seem to remember in my dim dark memory freezing stuff for the last puppy to chew on to help soothe his gums. Chicken stock or something similar? Of course, this makes it kinda an outside chew toy, but I seem to remember my last puppy really loved chewing them.

Anyone with more recent experience got any great ideas?

Hey thanks Wolfgirl. He loves his Kongs - although he chomped up the puppy one at 11 weeks of age!

I have the black ones now, and I guess they would stay cool for a while being so solid.

I pop some vegemite into the kong toy, freeze it and then give it to puppy.

Talking about chewing i spoke to somone on the street today with a poodle and he said his experience with poodles toys and mini's is that they are very BIG chewers throughout their whole lives .. is this a true statement?

Are poodles known to be chewers all their life?

Hi curious,

This is my first poodle, so I don't know yet :laugh:

But the dogs where he came from are not chewers, but some are toy nuts.

Talking about chewing i spoke to somone on the street today with a poodle and he said his experience with poodles toys and mini's is that they are very BIG chewers throughout their whole lives .. is this a true statement?

Can't speak for all poodles, but my mini poodle has always loved his bones/ chew toys. I think it's part of all dog's instinct to want to chew. The right bones and toys are great for their teeth, as a bonus :vomit:

Something I have noticed, though, is that if stressed/ very excited, he likes to chew more so than other dogs I've owned. He has a chew toy or bone if my son's young raucous friends come over and I give him a toy to chew when greeting him in the morning (otherwise he likes to steal a sock to have in his mouth, instead).

I have a Poodle x rescue girl that is about 10 years old. She chews everything! Yesterday she chewed the rescue pup's 2 squeeky toys up in about 5 minutes! She was a woman with a mission to watch! She has lovely teeth :vomit: