Puppy Keeps Whinning

eh94

I just brought home my new puppy - border collie cross chihuahua - little girl, more chihuahua physical features. I've been reading articles from sites such pedigree and doggie forums. I am aware huahuas are more sooky. But I thought the whinning would stop when she is in my arms. It didn't. I bought a crate and place a hot water bottle underneath her bed..she had a nice long nap. But she's awake now and the whining is starting. There has been advice to let her whine and she would give up 15 mins later. But my main concern is why does she whine intermittedly when she is in my arms? Could it be that she is feeling unwell or she really misses her 2 brothers?

Edited by eh94

Someone told me when I picked up my puppy that for most dogs, the day they leave their mum is the worst day of their life.

Your little one is just missing her mum and her littermates. She will settle, for now don't fuss over her too much, make her crate nice and safe for her (sounds like you are already doing well there- maybe along with the hot water bottle put a ticking clock in there to replicate mums heartbeat?), just make sure she has a nice full tummy, doesn't need to toilet and leave her be and wait for the sleepless nights toilet training!

She will be fine in a few days.

She is beautiful- do you have any more photos? the cross is a bit strange, I can't figure out physically how the mating would occur!

:confused: yeah - when my hubby and I heard it, both of us tilted our heads in the same direction and rolled our eyes to the sky, silenced for awhile, then looked at each other and laughed!!! Me..being the one with vivid imagination, has a theory..but can't say it here just in case there are kids reading... :rofl: Give me some time...I will take more pictures later in the evening.... :rofl: oh..thanks for the advice...just have to go find a clock that ticks loudly..haven't bought a clock in a loooong time.... :rofl:

I can't figure out physically how the mating would occur!

So I'm not the only one that had that thought then :D

Something else you may want to put in there, an old, just warn shirt of yours. It will help with the bonding thing.

- border collie cross chihuahua - little girl, more chihuahua physical features.

I am sorry but ????????? Would this really be at all posssible :thumbsup: Knowing the anatomy of dogs i find it highly improbable , unless it was AI. Sorry just cant picture a little Chi hanging off the back of a BC, or a BC tying with a little Chi

All the same she is a cutie

Having personally known a kelpie cross chi it is definatly probable. The chi would have had to be the sire and the border collie a very willing bitch who was kind enough to lie down :D

Anmals can be very determined when they wanna be. I remember an old horse dealer/breaker that I once knew telling me how he had a shetland stallion in once. Thinking he couldn't do anything to the thoroughbred mares he had in the paddock he let them in together. Randy little shetland nipped at the mares hocks until they layed down for him :thumbsup:

You're puppy looks very cute. Give her time and she will eventually settle in :thumbsup:

Anmals can be very determined when they wanna be. I remember an old horse dealer/breaker that I once knew telling me how he had a shetland stallion in once. Thinking he couldn't do anything to the thoroughbred mares he had in the paddock he let them in together. Randy little shetland nipped at the mares hocks until they layed down for him :thumbsup:

Thats hysterical :D :):cry: Thats what he gets for teasing the poor little guy.... where theres a will theres a way!!

I remember when I was much younger (farm kids figure it all out pretty quick) a shettie stallion trying desperately to scrabble up the rear end of a clydie mare..... dunno whether he succeeded or not but he was trying his hardest :thumbsup:

Also a friend just had her ShihtzuX Malt bitch desexed, she was in pup to the mastiff x staffie (only dog that could've done the deed :mad )

More pictures of Hana...

She has whinning the whole day. I left her alone for 2.5hours and she left me a nice 'gift' when I got back. But I'm really happy because she sleeps in her crate and wee+poop in the litter tray (still on paper sometimes). She had diarhoea but got better this morning and afternoon. But after dinner, watery stools came back. Will continue to monitor her poops. She is lively and EXTREMELY sooky.

Hi cav...did that. Vet gave her half a worming tablet which she chucked (vet said she would). But she is still having unpredictable stools - watery one time, "softee" next.....Yes, she is very very...extremely sooky. All she wants to do is to fall asleep in my arms. That's nice but I have to work....I hope she settles quickly, breaks my heart to hear her whine.

What a cute puppy. I think that since she has had diarrhoea since you brought her home and is constantly whining then a vet check is in order. She may be in some discomfort.

Take a sample of her feces to the vet. I wouldn't let this go on any longer without vet advice as baby puppies dehydrate very quickly.

She is so cute!!!

When we got Chelsea she was a really cryer!! Sounds just like your little one...I guess for me I didn't have the issue of runny poo's so it was just a matter of ignoring it or distracting her with toys.......

She has settled down now but I think she will always be a cryer especially if she is not sure of something....

She used to cry and cry on car trips which I used to get around by singing to her :( but she doesn't do it anymore which is good!

She will settle in I promise just make her feel as safe as possible and try not to pander to the crying too much...

Mel

We lived in an apartment when we first got Chelsea as well!

I found that Chelsea felt really comforted by noise so try and leave the T.V or radio on, especially if you are leaving her alone.....

Also, does she have access to her crate at all times? Chelsea made this her safe place in our apartment and always settled down there very easily.

But, the more you pick her up when she starts to whine the worse it will get as she will think that she will get attention by whining so try as hard as you can to ignore her or distract her.....

Mel

Yup - she got her own crate and she goes there to sleep or "hang out". She doesn't play unless I'm in the confined area. I can ignore her but for now, because she is unwell, I go to her regardless she whines or not. I guess by doing this, she would know I wont go to her whenever she whines...even the vet suggested I go easy with her "separation" training..heheh

Guest Pandii

sorry where did you say you got her from she looks like another pup someone has....................I think the pups name is electra........will go search

Guest Pandii

GLAMACHIC has a pup that looks like yours

Sorry just saw that they looked the same nothing else

I can fully sympathise.

I just collected an adorable 10wk old Papillon.. However, unless I'm holding him or sitting in the kitchen with him, he's howling or crying or whining. It's beginning to feel like he's just crying for the sake of it. He's got toys, food, water, milk and a place to toilet.

It's not a "my life in in danger!" scream, just crying and crying and crying.

He's been crying on an off since about 6 this morning. I'm just glad I took some time off work to get him settled...

How can I fix this behaviour?

put him in the laundry/crate with everything the puppy needs (make sure its warm and draft free) and leave it there until its quiet. Completely ignore it, including no telling it off. Then go spend time with it when it settles, if it whines again ... same treatment.

Theyre just being sooky but if you play into their hands and cuddle them or let them in your lap constantly you will raise a real pain in the butt. Yes sometimes it can take DAYS but the tougher you are the faster they realise whining isnt worth it.