Itchy Puppy!

feher

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could lend some advice on my itchy puppy...

Chase (long haired GSD) seems to always be itchy, whether she is inside or out. She has been hydro bather twice, hase been given capstar and flea treated... And she has the occasional flea, but otherwise doesn't really seem to have them...

Anywhere you rub on her body, her leg starts to do the phantom scratch... And her skin seems a bit dry... Kind of like dandruff... Do puppies get dandruff?

What can I do to stop her itching, and stop the "puppy dandruff"?

Any help would be muchly appreciated ;)

The fleas will be an issue,flea bites are like having chicken pox .You need to flea bomb the house & treat your yard & then keep the dog on same preventative.

Dogs can get dandruff & it gets worse in times of stress(flea bites are stressful) diet can also create itching issues & poor skin

Your dog sounds like she has a flea allergy, just one flea can cause this in a susceptible animal, the 'occasional flea' is one too many for a dog with this problem. Treat her with one of the topical flea treatments on a regular monthly basis and wash all her bedding. Spray an aerosol flea killer around any areas where she lies down. If you have any other dogs or cats in the household these will also need to be treated, be aware that cats can carry fleas even though they may not show symptoms themselves. As showdog said flea bombing the house may also be necessary.

Flea allergies can cause shocking reactions in dogs and if you allow the condition to become chronic you will find yourself paying money to the vet for cortisone treatment. I recommend that you get on top of this problem before summer starts.

Thanks so much guys! I thought I would ask the experts ;) Will definitely try the frontlline again (which has stopped working for my dogs in the past), she has been on capstar tablets, and is hydrobathed regularly. I have that aerosol flea spary handy, and have just washed her bed, but will definitely spray all the areas she frequents...

Is there any way I can stop her poor little puppys kin from being so dry though?

I would give her a bath in Malaseb and leave it on for ten minutes just in case there are any secondary bacterial or fungal infections. Malaseb can tend to dry the coat if it's applied too often so don't use it more than a couple of times. As a follow up shampoo I'd use Aloveen shampoo and conditioner, leave the conditioner in the coat. Try giving her a can of sardines or mackerel twice a week and some chicken wings/frames on a regular basis. But whatever you do you MUST eradicate the fleas, if you've still got fleas in the environment you're wasting your time.

I am going through this at the moment and its awful!!! It sounds like your pup is having a reaction to fleas!

As some of the others said it can affect dogs differently!

I have recently moved into a new rental with a lovely surprise! Its got fleas!! Poor Bailey is really suffering but it doesn't seem to worry Chelsea at all!!

As everyone else has said I would bomb your house to get rid of them.....apart from that you are doing everything else right.

I have found that Fido's stop itch shampoo helps quite well.

Unfortunatly I am having trouble getting the fleas out of the environment but hopefully you will have more luck.

Mel

adding some fish (or flaxseed oil) to the diet and keeping it as free from artificial colors, flavours and additives can help. The better quality the food the better the skin and coat.

When the dog is hydrobathed use a formula that moisturises the skin. Also you can try some cool chamomile tea solution poured over the coat after the shampoo is rinsed off and leave that in, just towel dry the dog.