Is This Teething?

Ella Rainbow

Ella our 18 week old Lab x Mastiff pup is chewing everything in sight. For example, last night we were watching a DVD and Ella was laying on the floor next to us. Every time I looked down at her, she had something in her mouth and chewing. Pencils, my son's toys, the leg of the chair I was sitting on ;) , you name it and she was gnawing on it. God knows where she even finds everything.

You might think that she doesn't get enough exercise or stimulation - she is walked every day and we play with her in the yard several times a day. My 3 sons play with her as well. We have just finished puppy preschool and I am looking into going to obedience classes. (Can anyone suggest a good one in Brisbane's eastside?)

While we watch TV in the evening, we even throw the ball so that she can fetch it. I don't mind if she is chewing her toys (she has a multitude of them) but its everything else that is driving me crazy.

I have stuffed her puppy kong with biscuits but that takes about 2 minutes and she has skoffed the lot. She has pull toys, balls, soft toys to play with. She spends time in the backyard and time inside whenever we are home (which is quite a bit since I work from home).

Thankfully we don't have any fancy furniture but still I don't want chunks out of everything.

Otherwise we are very happy with Ella. She is very smart and gentle.

Regards

Annette

post-10230-1154850134_thumb.jpg

Edited by annette kaarin

Yep! That's teething for you! :rolleyes:

Having a puppy is like having a little toddler around - everything MUST be off the floor for fear of being broken/swallowed/drooled on :idea:

Baby proof your house completely and you'll find life will be a little easier ;) Access to dangerous things is not an option and just tell the kids that if they want their "things" to survive they must pick them up :rofl:

This will last a good couple of months so get used to it :mad

Have a look at the "What has you dog destroyed?" thread a little while back and it might make you feel a little better :(

I can totally understand what you are going through. my 6 month pup chews on EVERYTHING!!!. We have had to put up baby gates so he can't get into the backroom and chew the tv wires , carpet etc etc.

We are now up to his fourth bed having chewed through them all.

But he is so cute

Ella sounds a lot like our 14 week old beagle- he too chews on everything!! And we've been told it's 'teething'.

He prefers chair legs or anything else that he's not allowed to chew instead of dog toys designed for teething... ;)

By the way,I love the pic of Ella, she's so cute!

Id say it is teething as well.. I have a 9 week Border Collie x Blue Healer and he always has something in his mouth, chewing away.. If he isn't sleeping, he is chewing. Ive learnt tho, one option NOT to take, is give a 9 week pup those Denta-bones. gives em diahoreea.

Yup typical puppy. A few tips though ...

cycle the toys. A pup looks not only for a chew but for something different. Dont plonk all the toys in the middle of the floor, have a new toy for each day. Rub some Kabana onto them too so its interesting for her.

Start giving things like lamb shanks, lamb flaps, something with some meat on it that she can sink her teeth into. And straight out of the fridge it will cool her gums too. As for her Kong, puppy ones are quite small she may need a larger one. And something like mince, peanut butter, cheese etc non solid items that take more work may be the go. During the day fill it with stock and freeze it so she again cools her irritated gums.

Smear items with tabasco/chilli sauce but just a touch. Especially furniture legs and electrical cords, it wont stain and dries for a long lasting effect.

Clear all things away and as soon as she picks up something that is not hers, take it away and replace it with an OK item. Teach her that set items are OK and the rest is a no go. Dont let her wander round the house. I know its hard with kids because they leave things around but if you limit her to the area where you are its easier to keep an eye on her.

Thanks Nekhbet.

We've been only using one toy at a time and been throwing them because she loves to fetch. I'll give the kabana a try, I'm sure Ella will love that. She seems to be very food motivated. Amazing what she'll do when there is food on offer. When I'm preparing dinner (trimming the fat off the meat) Ella is so attentive and already knows how to wait and gently accept a treat.

I'll get her a bigger kong and stuff it with mince or cheese. Also will put it in the fridge to make it like a teething ring (this is just like having a baby in the house all over again :banghead: ) Can we put a disposal nappy on the baby so she doesn't c**p on the floor as well :swear: .

One of my sons is allergic to peanut butter so we won't try that.

I will try the chilli/tabasco sauce on the furniture legs even though the idea doesn't appeal to me. It's not going to attract any insects (ants) is it??

Thanks for the ideas. I thought I was prepared to go through this puppy stage but it has been a lot of work. I can't recall going through this when we had our GSD as a pup. He never had any toileting accidents in the house (we got him as a 9 week old) and only one shoe was ever gnawed on. He had his toys and was happy to stick to those. Maybe its like when you have your own babies, you get selective memory and remember only the good bits.

Annette :whip:

Sounds like what Im going through too!! I have a 16 wk old Ella who I am afraid to turn my back on for fear of what shes discovered next, phone cable was the most recent and then her fav - taking the toilet paper off the roll and running through the house!!! Good luck with her and enjoy they dont stay puppies for long :rolleyes:.

My Ella:

I have a 9 week old cocker who is exactly the same! After going through my puppy book it says that when the dog starts to chew on something that is not to be chewed on, you are suppost to replace it with a toy, or treat, then it should learn that its toys are for chewing and not the cables, chair legs ect...

Hope this helps =]

Seita - Your Ella is just beautiful. You're right, they aren't little for long. It just feels like its long when you are waiting to discover the next disaster.

I haven't dared to tell my OH that Ella has taken a chunk out of one of the kitchen cupboards :rolleyes: :p . He already calls her 'piddlepot' and isn't very impressed with her toilet training. She already chewed the electrical cords off a couple of OH's power tools. The tools were packed away but Ella is tall enough to reach into the laundry cupboard and pull them out. We have to be so careful to close cupboard doors and put things away properly.

Regards

Annette :confused: