New Food For Puppy And Bloody Poo

flycow

Hello all, I need some advice from you guys as I have not had a puppy for many years now and need to learn every thing all over again. Any advice is appreciated. Here goes.

I collected my puppy three days ago from a reputable breeder. Pup is on Drontol every two weeks and vaccinated with C4.

Day one she was hyperactive, poo is soft to firm within one hour after meals. All went well.

Day two she was hyperactive too. I introduced one table spoonful of meat (kangeroo) to her kibbles for breakfast and for the afternoon I gave her the soft bone part of a chicken frame. It was also her worming day. This day her poo was not regular, due only after four or five hours after eating a meal.

Day three I gave her strict kibble meals. She had two stools that have a little dull blood at the end of it. She was half as active than day one and two. I brought her to the vet for check up but did not mention the poo as that came later. The vet said she's all healthy and she was really well behaved throughout the day too. I thought this is weired, she has always been a bouncy pup.

Do I have to be concern for the moment? She eats ok and slept 30% more than the past two days. Am I just paranoid? :banghead:

Edited by flycow

The roo meat can be a touch rish for pups if they aren't used to it. Worming tabs etc can sometimes bind them up a little...or give them a little case of the trots. The lil bit of blood could be from straining with a hard poo, could be something worse.

The vacc's can cause a variety of reactions - my pup was rather dopey for 24 hours after having his vacc's (it was wonderful! so peaceful! :banghead: ) Other pups can get very energetic, can come up in lumps in the injection site, being off colour...all sorts :-S

As with all things if you aren't sure head back to your vet, but this time perhaps call them first just to let them know of the additional issues and see if they ask you to come down?

Hi ,I think Kitkat is right, if you still feel the pup is not behaving normally, than revisit the vet.

Sometimes, worms, ie round or hook worms, can cause blood in the stool etc. But was curious about the soft chicken bones ??????etc.

Were the bones raw??? If fed cooked bones,they can splinter and cause damage etc.

I hope your pup is better soon, :banghead:

jls

Hello kitkat and jls, many thanks for your concerns. My puppy is fine today, no more bloody poo and very active, everything back to normal.

kitkat - none of her poo was hard, so I think it is unlikely to be constipation. She didn't have vaccination recently, it was more than a week ago. Anyway all is well today so I'm more relaxed now but will still observe closely.

jls - yes the bones were raw, but I use lukewarm water to rinse it first. I suspect it's the bones and roo meat (hehe), will observe further and bring to vet if she is not well. Now she is on strict kibble diet.

This forum is really great, so many friendly people for support. :(

I have found drontal can be a bit harsh on a dog's system. I've had to go back to using it recently because no one seems to carry the 20Kg tablets or Chewies by Canex. And when you have a dog that weighs 60Kg giving 6 worming tablets is not practical.

The last worming treatment my dog had was with Drontal (this was his second treatment with it) - he had runny poo for a week - was off colour and just not himself. Vets explaination was he must have been loaded with worms - I found that hard to believe as his worming has always been up to date and never late and his previous treatment he was fine. Not to mention there was no sign of infestion in is poo's.

I was warned about drontal by the breeder of a chow chow that I owned about its side effects being quite severe - part of the reason why I have stayed away from it over the years. But when you cant find something that will cover a large dog its a bit hard not to have to use it.

I currently use revolution on my dog because it happens to be more effective on fleas than any other treatment I have found the down side is it doesnt cover worming.

I have found drontal can be a bit harsh on a dog's system. I've had to go back to using it recently because no one seems to carry the 20Kg tablets or Chewies by Canex. And when you have a dog that weighs 60Kg giving 6 worming tablets is not practical.

] :p :confused::mad

I just imagine you chasing around a 60kg dog to give him each of his 6 tabs. See your point, quite inconvenient :confused::eek: :rolleyes:

jls

:confused::confused::mad

I just imagine you chasing around a 60kg dog to give him each of his 6 tabs. See your point, quite inconvenient :eek::mad :rolleyes:

jls

He would sit there for the first 2 but I wouldnt have much luck getting the rest of them down his gob. LOL. :p

Edited by ravensmyst00

I also had a problem the first time i gave Mitchi drontal. She didn't go to the loo for 5 days and was straining, so i took her to the vet, adn while we were waiting she went to the loo.

Apparently, according to the vet, worming a dog can cause loose bowel movements and upset their sytem for a few days. I have never had this prob with other worming stuff from th esupermarket. The next time i gave it to them both and they were fine.

And when you have a dog that weighs 60Kg giving 6 worming tablets is not practical.

Oh my, I can imagine it too, it'd be a nightmare for me. :cry:

I suspected the drontal too as just two weeks before collecting her, she just took a drontal prior and did a poop in front of me, it was quite watery. I thought it's due to her still feeding from mum. If some of you guys' puppies experienced that as well it's probably the drontal and change of diet.

I have ordered Sentinel from Pricelesspets found in this forum, great service. Today she did a solid poo after three days of strict kibble diet, and lost some puppy fat as well now I can feel her rib, so I am happy :thumbsup: . (The vet said she is on the CHUBBY side just that day :rofl: )

Edited by flycow