How Is This For Awesome!?

Flaves

a little off original topic sorry...... but regarding the turkey, i have seen and brought it from my local iga supermarket... wings. thighs. legs.. i was a little hesitant, but the dogs liked the wings.. they're huge.!!! lol

Thankyou all for your help and input.

I got the meatloaf on saturday and have fed it to the 2 of them for dinner saturday and both meals on sunday and it was a HIT!!!!

I gave it to them raw as i don't like the idea of cooking bones, they inhaled it.!!

Licked the bowls clean, something i have been struggling with Barker, he was leaving food.

I give them bones, big ones, once a week to chew on which they love.

I will add an egg once or twice a week and sardines. SOmeone suggested that they are really good.

When i went to the butcher to pick it up, a few other people were buying it too. My only concern is that the butcher is recommending to cook it becasue it has raw rice in it, but it has bones in it so i am not cooking it.

It ended up costing $7.50 for 2.5 kg. I got red pet mince and mixed it through so they had some more iron it it.

It will end up costing me about $20.00 to feed the 2 pups for a month. I have frozen enough for another 3 week and i have a weeks supply in my fridge.

So with the dry it is only costing me about 3.00 a day for them both in total.

Yikes, raw rice? I wouldn't be feeding it in that case!

I used to buy a metloaf type thing from my local butcher and feed in conjunction with RMBs but I wasn't 100% happy with it (was very fatty) so I switched to buying mince seperately and mixing it with Vets All Natural complete mix. The only problem I have with this is having to soak it for 20 hours before feeding so I'm intending to try a similar mix made at Brown's Animal Herbs (i think that's the name) that doesn't require soaking.

Rexy thanks for the heads up re: IGA, I'll be going to check them out today! If anyone else know where to get turkey (on the bone) I'd love to hear about it :thumbsup:

Ok.

SO i am guessing raw rice is a nono?

He has soaked it and it is soft but not cooked.

I refuse to cook it because of the bones in it.

I have checked the rice and in the loaves i have when i snapped the rice only the tiniest bit is solid white in the centre

Ok.

SO i am guessing raw rice is a nono?

He has soaked it and it is soft but not cooked.

I refuse to cook it because of the bones in it.

I have checked the rice and in the loaves i have when i snapped the rice only the tiniest bit is solid white in the centre

Someone pls correct me if I am wrong. Soaking rice thoroughly does not do much good. I vaguely remember that if we cook rice in water, a process called galetinization, which will dramatically increase the availability of starch for digestion by enzymes. This is why congee (rice boiled in water) is regarded as the best supportive measures for 3rd world children suffering diarrhea.

I guess there is not much you can do now with the batch you already have but your butcher needs to know this.

Cheers.

Edited by Ah Ngau

Someone pls correct me if I am wrong. Soaking rice thoroughly does not do much good. I vaguely remember that if we cook rice in water, a process called galetinization, which will dramatically increase the availability of starch for digestion by enzymes. This is why congee (rice boiled in water) is regarded as the best supportive measures for 3rd world children suffering diarrhea.

Cheers.

You are right. There is no value in soaked rice for dogs. They need rice and other hard grains boiled to death. Well, cooked a lot longer than you would cook rice for yourself anyway. I cook rice for the dogs in my rice cooker. If I do 2 cups of rice then I add water to 4 cups so it cooks longer and is somewhat gluggy. Sometimes I even add some more water later and cook it again. Just baking soaked rice won't cut it, but you have to give the butcher brownie points for trying. :thumbsup:

Although a lot of raw feeders don't feed grains of any sort, dogs can in fact absorb quite a few nutrients from them.