Premium Dog Foods...too Expensive!

I've been trying for years to stop my mother and sister feeding my sister's dog (a silky terrier) 'junk' dog food. Her coat is awful, she's got obvious allergies and over all she's just not doing well on the rubbish they feed her (pedigree, my dog, meaty bites etc...). :rofl:

The problem I have is that premium dog foods are so unbelievably expensive it's not possible to switch her to anything great. ;) The only food I would even think about feeding a dog, that you can buy at a supermarket, is Nature's Gift, but only the canned variety. However Bexley (my sister's dog) eats a mix of dry and canned so I need a good dry food. I wanted to give them at least a couple of weeks worth of something good and affordable so they can see the difference in her...but I can't find anything even close to reasonable (price wise). The price is a huge issue because they won't continue if it's easier just to nip down to the supermarket and buy some cheap crap.

I guessed that perhaps the prices are so high because the foods are imported? Would that be right?

Are there any local brands worth trying? :cry:

Or maybe there is somewhere that sells food (Eagle Pack Holistic, Advance, Innova etc..) cheaper? The only place I can find near them that stocks anything decent is PetStock and like I said...prices (according to the website at least) = way too high.

BARF diet, sadly, is out because neither my mother or sister are 'dog people' and I know they wouldn't be bothered preparing it :thumbsup: (I live 5hrs south of them so can't do it for them).

I'm completely stuck. Any advice about brands or where to buy would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Cass.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pandii

Not much help I ma afraid but I buy dry food from Petstock I pay $38 for a 20 kilo bag it last 3 weeks so only about $12 a week to feed 2 large dogs

You will find you dont need to feed as much quality food as you would food from the supermarket

Premium foods arent actually more expensive, they are cheaper....

They just seem pricey for the initial purchase but they will last you longer, hence save money because you have to feed less than supermarket brands. I feed Eukanuba and it costs one dog like $1.50 per day.

A silky terrier eats very little and feeding a super premium food wouldn't cost her much at all, 7kg of Eagle Pack will last her for months. IMO feeding cheap dog food is false economy, you have to feed much more, you have to pick up twice as much poo and it isn't good for the dog.

Totally agree with Miranda. Most people seem to look at the purchase price but don't realise that they will be feeding a lot less as the foods are more concentrated and of better quality. For example, i have a bag of Eagle Pack at home and also a bag of Optimum that was given to me. For a 25kg dog i need to feed 4 cups of Optimum OR 2 1/4 cups per day of Eagle Pack. Optimum is around half the price, but there is very little real price difference considering i would be feeding almost double the amount to be feeding the required amount - i hope that makes sense LOL.

Edited by goldielover

A silky terrier eats very little and feeding a super premium food wouldn't cost her much at all, 7kg of Eagle Pack will last her for months. IMO feeding cheap dog food is false economy, you have to feed much more, you have to pick up twice as much poo and it isn't good for the dog.

Hi Miranda, how heavy is your dog? My dog is about 12kg. I feed him Eagle Pack Holistic 1 1/4-1 1/2 cup per day depending on the exercise for the day. I ordered a 15kg bag, and I opened it around mid July, I still got 11kg left. Expiry date on the bag is 17th November. I think he might finish it just before the expiry date. I use the metric cup to measure his food, and I thought he'd finish the 15kg bag in about 9 weeks. I'm surprised that I still got 11kg left when I weigh the bag. It's been 4 weeks since I opened the bag, and I only fed him 4kg so far when it should have been 8kg. :rofl:

Hi Miranda, how heavy is your dog? My dog is about 12kg.

Hi panda :rofl: My dogs range from 23kg to 38kg and I have five. The adults have 1 cup a day and the two puppies have two cups a day, but I also feed meat, wings, frames, mackerel, eggs etc. I use EP Holistic for Large Dogs, but I'm not sure how long a bag would last, maybe 3 weeks? When I had the litter of 10 puppies I was going through one bag of EP for Large Breed Puppies a week!!

Warning: Newbie opinion below, take it with a grain/load of salt:-

Had my first dog 3 weeks ago and fed him dry dog food on the recommandation of the breeder. We were warned by the breeder and the vet not to give BARF and of course, preparing food for him takes time.

However, he pooed a LOT and had very bad breathe. After a couple of days, the scandalous smelling poo just overwhelmed the whole family. Armed with no guidance and a stern warning from the vet on bowel obstruction, my wife and I went ahead and bought every kind of CHEAP bones and meat in the supermarket.

At 8 weeks old, our puppy began his interesting culinary adventure. We fed him chicken carcass, meaty bones, fishes (slimey, smelly whole ones with heads and tails), small amount of internal organs (offal?) and table scrapes.

He began having 2 poos a day and we can actually control the consistancy of his poo. Too watery? Fine, less table scrape more meat and bone on the next meal. Too hard? Okay, more scrapes. :rofl:

I think your mom and sis just need a little nudge to the right direction. Why not prepare a week of food next time you visit. Chuck it in the freezer and it is as easy as feeding dry food.

If they don't like it, fine, no harm done. If they do like it, everyone's happy, right?

Edited by Ah Ngau

Quite honestly as with many other purchases you pay for what you get. ;) If your family knew of the rubbish which went into some foods I dont think you would have a problem converting them e.g. by-products are not just organs but everything else :rofl: let alone the chemical preservatives and many use corn as a filler, and then peolpe wonder why their dogs have skin and coat problems let alone a poop one as well. :rofl:

As a matter of interest Nutro Natural Choice Chicken and Rice or Lamb and Rice costs only 55cents per day to feed a 4kg dog based on feeding 75 grammes. I dont think that that is an unreasonable amount to spend on dog food.

Panda, with Nutro, a 15kg bag for a 12 kg dog would last 7-8 months and on the two mentioned above costing about $1.24 per day based on feeding 170 grammes.

I do have a breeder's card and I get the 11th and 17th bags free, but yes they do love people like me

Aww :rofl: In order to get 11th and 17th bags free, you'd have to be a breeder? I had that privileged programme with Innova. 10 stamps give you a free bag of Innova pet food. I just feed him Eagle Pack Holistic now with one or two eggs a week. No more Innova.

Edited by panda

I use science diet small puppy with for my jack russell with raw mince/bones. A 2kg bag lasts me 8 week adn she is getting 2 meals a day. It costs me 22.00 for 2 months plus meat.

I am looking at going to eagle pack as i have rave revues and becuase it is such good quality you do feed less therefore lasting longer.

I used to feed my malamute supercoat or pal dry food and was feeding her 4-6 cups a day, when i changed her to a better food when she got sick she was having 2-3 cups a day.

IMO you get what you pay for...and if your family is not happy to spend the "extra" on a better quality dog food, I'm sure they're paying "extra" for vet bills due to the problems the cheaper foods create. For a small dog, feeding a super premium kibble is very cheap including the "upfront" costs in buying the bag. I'd be steering them towards the higher end products such as Eagle Pack Holistic, Nutro (if you can find it, it's still not easy to buy in certain states), Nutrience or Dick van Patten's Natural Balance Organic Formula. :rofl: All are good to excellent and all are worth much more than whatever is available in the supermarket or chain store. :rofl:

When changing to eagle pack do i need to mix it with the science diet to get them used to it? Cause with dry, i usually just change it.

Definately INTRODUCE the eagle pack... dont just change or your dogs will poo thru the eye of a needle :rofl:

:rofl::rofl: ;) :D

That is not funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to try it for my cats also. cause they poo far too much as i give them cheap stuff.

But hte dogs i am definitely interested in changeing. I should get it in the next few weeks so i can wean them onto it. Is the holistic better than the normal eagle pack?

Hasapandabear

Panda, with Nutro, a 15kg bag for a 12 kg dog would last 7-8 months and on the two mentioned above costing about $1.24 per day based on feeding 170 grammes.

I hope I'm feeding the right amount for my dog. I use the measurement of 1cup (250ml) and 1/4cup (60ml) It said on the chart for 14kg dog, feed 1-1 1/2cup per day or 100-150Grams. So I give my dog 1 1/4cup per day.

Edited by panda