Length Of Time On Leash

Andoria1

I have a 5 month old Australian Cattle Dog X Labrador , and to prevent him from destroying out unit we have tied him on a leash.

I was wondering how long should a puppy be tied to a leash because he seems to whine alot when he is on it.

Yesterday i took him out to go and play in my parents backyard and he enjoyed it and did not whine at all when he came home to our place, he just went straight to sleep.

But today however he just whined when i gave him a bone. He was looking for a bit of soil to put the bone in like he did yesterday in my mums yard and couldnt find one in our unit and started whining again.

Could this be a puppy boredom thing and him just wanting to play all the time? We have him on a leash all day 7 days a week. But we take him for a walk once or twice a day.

Am i doing something wrong ? :laugh:

Get a play pen or crate to put him in so that he can be confined and feel as though he has his own space. He shouldn't be on a leash that long - especially if you are out because he could get caught and easily choke.

Puppies do chew/eat/whine- its what they do - he will probably continue to do so for at least another year.

Are you going to training with him?

can he be left in yard during the day and let him have a area where he can bury his bone, l feel they need this and when left in unit can you maybe only give him a certain area where he cant destroy things, maybe just in the kitchen when you are not home. Pups need to be able to move around and play.

Just as everyone has said, he's bored. Maybe puppy minding, or have someone walk him during the day, you have to find something. Tethering the dog for an hour or two is fine, they'll rest and sleep that long, but 7 days a week is too much for anyone.

You can buy large pens, place a tarp under it so not to soil the flooring. Give bones, kongs, safe toys whilst your not home.

Good luck...............................

Why do you feel you need to keep your young puppy tied up all the time?

I am guessing from your post that you fear he will be destructive ... well he will if you let him, and don't put time into teaching him a better way.

Puppies need to lean limits and self control. Sure, he would love to eat your shoes or remote control, but he can learn that those things are off limits. Like other listers, I would recommend a crate or secure play pen as a security position rather than a leash, and you puppy can certainly spend overnight etc in there, and be put in there for SOME periods during the day.

But your pup needs LOTS of time with you, interacting, playing, exercising, learning with you. He needs lots of supervised time in the house / yard - you can use "baby gates" to limit his access. He needs to learn that "these" are his toys, and "this" is the furniture, "here" is where he can sit / sleep, and "here" is off limits. This will take time, patience and training. Over time, he will become more trustworthy, and can have slowly, slowly more freedom in the house.

If you are in a unit do you have a backyard at all? This is an active mix - cattle dogs need all day stimulation and exercise and labs also need activity to prevent boredom.

did you think this through? This is not the type of dog that can survive couped up and to leave ANY dog teathered all day is plain cruel. Send him to someone else during the day or a puppy daycare.

Have to agree with Nekhbet. Why would you get this dog living in a unit?

my thoughts too - the more i think about it the more i think you might need to rehome him OR find another place to live.

can i ask where u got him from?