Rspca Investigates Dog Squad's 'cruelty'

Look I am interested in positive training, you are not. Please advertise your website as such and i wont bother you lot any more.I challenge every one of you to pick up a mainstream positive book and go out there and make just one thing work for your dog even if the idea makes you see red like it originally did for me.

Good luck with your dogs, give them a hug from me.

hi Lab and Poodle :p

i don't mean to jump on you people have seemed to do that enough, but i find some of your statments rude...... like the one above.

you have managed to assume that every one on this bored dosn't use any "positive training" this is not so. in fact most if not all will recomend it along with profesional help to people having problems with their dogs. most if not all on this forum will use both positive and correction methods of training on their dogs as this is what is most effective. some dogs require little correction whil others require a bit more and the same with positive rewords some dogs are happy with food other dogs just wan't to bite that decoy.

different training for different dogs. and as many have sead it isn't the equipment it is the human using it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YUp my dog is non correction trained but that dosnt mean i will throuw other ideas out the window never know when one might come in handy

I think it woud be great if rather t does in his workshops There is such a wealth of knowledge out there and learning can often come from the most unexpected places

I can't imagine anyone being able to train a police dog without some form of correction. Even the "positively trained" NZ police dogs wear choke chains and/or prong collars when they're out working.

And to be frank, if these dogs are the kind that will have their spirits broken from a collar correction, they're probably not suitable to be police dogs anyway. If these dogs can't deal with a gun shot or a collar correction, how on earth do people think they'll cope with being shot around in real life, travelling in noisy helicopters, and being yelled at, hit and kicked when apprehending angry criminals?

My dogs non correction trained for obedience and we have had great results too but i picked my dog because i new he would work well with the methods i like to use and i will pick my next one for the same attributes cept maybe stronger nerves would be nice

Just wanted to say that you're the kind of positive trainer I respect! :mad

I agree that positive only/no correction training works wonderfully well for some dogs and some situations, and when working with a good trainer some dogs (like yours) just don't need corrections. But in my experience, some dogs do need to be corrected during the course of their training if they're not going to become dangerously unreliable.

My stafford would be confined permanently onleash/incrate if I hadn't ever been allowed to correct him for dangerous behaviour as well as reward him for obedience. Instead, he runs offleash at the beach or the park almost daily, and has free run of our home since I can trust him not to maul the cats, and is welcomed when I visit my friends. I know which life he'd prefer, if he could have been given a choice.

thankyou Amphailite

Yup ive been there with my first dog he was dog aggressive and pretty full on my second dog was a nutter really hypo i got out of the dog world for a few years after we lost her and when i decided to get another dog to compete with i wanted a dog that would be real easy to live with that woul train up nicely and wouldnt give me too much drama so i chose my whipet whe i lost him we agreed on a sheltie because he was soft and easy to live with but playful and energetic and would enjoy training

NZ Police use e-collars....

in October there will be a conference held in NZ by the Police Dog Section and there will be a day dedicated to the use of Prong and E-collars,

I was fairly sure when this thread was current that WA police do not use Ecollars or prong collars but had to check my facts. They don't and in fact were incredibly impressed with an animal trainer who uses targeting who taught the animal handlers at the zoo so that all animals are easy for the vet to handle that they are rethinking all their training. The do use positive training but do still use check chains on some dogs.

Amazing apparently what a gorilla will do for raspberry juice :clap:

Noone has ever said that Police (whatever state or country) dont use positive methods.

Noone has ever said K9 doesnt use positive methods.

I have ever said I dont use positive methods.

Majority of people here say that all of the above dont use PURLY positive methods and IF REQUIRED for a specific dog will use a mixture of positive and correctional methods.

Is there anything wrong in anyones eyes to be mixing positive and correctional methods?? I guess those that see it being a problem had never correted a child, had never gone over the speed limit and didnt get corrected for that by getting a fine (that is a stupid example, just cant think of a better one right now...)