E Collars Aus - Question For Steve And E Collar Users.

I tried for 4 years to teach my dog to come under high distraction with hardly any sucess using the traditional methods, so I gave up and got an ecollar. 4 months later and we had a fab recall under practically any distractions.

Now Im lazy with the baby girl, why wait and repeatedly fail?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why damn an excellent tool for many because a single persons experience with one that was malfunctioning, used on one dog only was not to their satisfaction? because that would be silly :thumbsup:

edited for schpellink

Edited by haven

And why damn an excellent tool for many because a single persons experience with one that was malfunctioning, used on one dog only was not to their satisfaction? because that would be silly :thumbsup:

edited for schpellink

haven :)

sorry, I probably haven't expressed myself correctly...I'm NOT damning them...just pointing out that it was own laziness & lack of concentrated training that diserved my dog. and let me stress MY DOG....I'm not trying to say that every dog is the same & that one technique will work for all :D

...I'm just trying to admit my own faults :D

all I want to see is dogs that are accepted as equals in society...and we as owners have a big part to play in that :D

cheers

Aus

haven :thumbsup:

sorry, I probably haven't expressed myself correctly...I'm NOT damning them...just pointing out that it was own laziness & lack of concentrated training that diserved my dog. and let me stress MY DOG....I'm not trying to say that every dog is the same & that one technique will work for all :)

all I want to see is dogs that are accepted as equals in society...and we as owners have a big part to play in that :D

cheers

Aus

that's great to hear Australdi, just curious about where this statement made by you fits in with that philosophy:

Having had experience of a council issued citronella collar...and seeing it resultant malfunction....I'm personally opposed to e-collars!

haven :thumbsup:

sorry, I probably haven't expressed myself correctly...I'm NOT damning them...just pointing out that it was own laziness & lack of concentrated training that diserved my dog. and let me stress MY DOG....I'm not trying to say that every dog is the same & that one technique will work for all :)

cheers

Aus

that's great to hear Australdi, just curious about where this statement made by you fits in with that philosophy:

Having had experience of a council issued citronella collar...and seeing it resultant malfunction....I'm personally opposed to e-collars!

really simple...I leased a collar from the council, because my dog was being accused of excesive barking....as a "responsible " citizen, I employed the collar. Within 2 weks it failed, and in the interim, I had a very unhappy & nervous dobermann (not pleasant to witness) I immediately returned the collar & tried other methods (which required more effort from me :D) result achieved! Note that I'm not trying to say that e-ollars are not suitable for all situations, (although, I do want to highlight that they can malfunction!) but through my own experience, I'm trying to highlight that it is us as handlers that are failing the dogs by resorting to the often touted "quick & easy solution"....all I'm doing is saying that in my experience, it was my own lack of training methods that lead me to seek an easier option...and that with hindsight & further training, I would never go down that path again :D!

All this is, is a case study...an individuals account of what they experienced, and the insights they gained...take it or leave it as you will :rofl:

cheers

Aus

I've used an electronic Anti Bark Collar (in QLD) because my dog never made a peep when I was at home but was apparently barking while I we were at work.

Sadly my neighbours who we were all on good terms with and should have known we were friendly and approachable were too shy to say anything and I found out via a letter from the council.

I got the collar and spread the word around the neighbourhood and asked people to PLEASE let me know if it wasn't working as unfortunately I couldn't hear her from work !! We didn't want her being a nuisance, I wouldn't stand for her barking all day when I was at home so there is no way I would expect others to put up with it when I wasn't :thumbsup:

Must have worked as we didn't have any more problems.

I couldn't think of any other way to train her not to bark when unsupervised, I only worked part-time and hubby also often came home for an hour or two during the day so it wasn't like she wore it 40-50 hours a week.

really simple...I leased a collar from the council, because my dog was being accused of excesive barking....as a "responsible " citizen, I employed the collar.

Aus - an el cheapo citronella collar that is legal and can be rented from the council is NOTHING like a remote training ecollar that the OP is talking about. Hence INHO the comparison you are making has no base. You are comparying a broken down VW Beatle to a jumbo jet. Yes they are both used to transport people, but not in the same way.

or its like eating scraps from McDonalds as oppose to having caviar served on a silver platter

I'm trying to highlight that it is us as handlers that are failing the dogs by resorting to the often touted "quick & easy solution"....all I'm doing is saying that in my experience, it was my own lack of training methods that lead me to seek an easier option...

I wonder what your comments here on e-collars would have read if the faulty citronella collar that you hired from Council had actually been successful ..... and even maybe successful in a shorter period than you could otherwise achieve with another tool/method?

Of course, that it was faulty and perhaps that it was chosen for use on the wrong dog for the wrong reason ??? :laugh:, aside.

The qualified trainers required in Victoria are as listed by the Department of Primary Industries.

1. Australian Association of Gentle Modern Dog Training Instructors

2. Victorian Canine Association

3. Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc.

4. Delta Society Australia

As at September 2004. At this time NDTF had not applied for qualification with the DPI.

Im safe than :eek:

a person I know is on the list of of APDT :laugh:

I also note that one of the DOLers form NSW that I know is on the list as well....

All up I have found 4 names of people I personally know on those sites.

Just something very interesting I cant see Steve Austin nor Garry Sommerville there - two very famous people in the dog training world.

And where is the list of qualified trainers on the VCA site? or am I blind?

from memory citronella plants can be poisionous to dogs if they eat it and some dogs can have an allergic reaction to citronella oil from the sprays.

kind of off topic :thumbsup:

i recieved my field pro ranger e-collar today and it is easily the best e-collar i have ever used