Glucosamine Which One To Buy

daccydog

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding glucosamine tablets or the powder form,

I've just come from the vet (on a unrelated problem and come away with this)

he has suggested that I get my mini daccy on a natural joint supplement as a preventived for the risk of arthritis, he is 2yrs old and has a patella problem, he suggested sasha's blend, (that was the only one on the shelf) has anyone else got a formula that they use, that's as good or even better, i know very little of these formula's, is powder form easier than tablets

Many thanks

daccydog

Guest Piximatosis

I heard that there was a difference between the kind of Glucosamine suitable for dogs and the kind that was suitable for humans... Labsrule (I'm pretty sure that's her username... Lab something!! :)) was having a chat to me about Joint Guard vs Sasha's Blend the other day. Might see if I can PM her to post in here!

I've had my dogs on many of these products over the last 4 1/2 years. The best one I find is Joint Guard. I've been using it since it came on the market and have had success with it.

Is this a product specifically for dogs and where do you buy it from?

Edited by Malamum

I also give my lil' dog human glucosamine. I buy capsules and sprinkle the powder into her food. I understand glucosamine sulphate is fine for dogs as long as it's taken with food :)

Jointguard is for dogs and available at produce stores and pet stores as well as many vets :D

Edited by t-time

I use the Joint Guard as my vet said it was important to have both glucosamine and chondroitin as they work together, and I read an article the other day saying that it is now proven in a study that the two together were far more effective than using glucosamine alone (this article was about humans but I'm sure it is the same in doggie arthritis :) )

Does Joint Guard have a smell about it? Our collie was on Sasha's blend and she wouldnt touch her dinner cause of the smell,So we might put her on Joint guard if it doesnt have a over-whelming smell?

Nope no smell, its just a plain white powder. I havent smelt Sasha's blend before but I've heard its pretty nasty ;)

For a Collie, due to the Ivermectin sensitivity in the breed-my breed too- I would be using the Glucosamine Hydrochloride on a daily basis. Best to buy from a human health food shop as the staff will know what you are talking about.

Sashs's blend reeks and I would not eat my dinner either if it was on it.