Chicken Necks

SparkyTansy

Fungles almost inhales his grub. We give him frozen chicken frames which take him around 10 minutes to get through verus 1 minute if he gets them fresh. The bones in the frames almost seem to be cartlidge rather than bone so they should get digested pretty easily.

When he was smaller we'd chop the frames into 2 halves and freeze them - bigger and less likely to be swollowed whole.

Loco used to gutz his chicken necks, but when he got one stuck while trying to poo (from not chewing it - he didn't sit on it !) we shied away from necks.

We could quite easily hand feed him chicken wings, making sure he chewed bits up.

Now we feed ours chicken frames quite regularly and don't have any problems :):banghead: ;)

Ok, well it is a few days after his necks and i haven't given him anymore as he has developed a little diahorrea... is this common in puppies? I weaned him onto them slowly and he didn't seem to have much of a problem for a few days...

I am worried because my other boy is allergic to chicken and we didnt figure this out until he was over 6 months of age and had already had many vomiting and diahorrea episodes before we madet he connection..

How long does it usually take before it firms up again, or should i be worried since it has been about 4 days? He is not lethargic or depressed and seems to be acting the same in every other way including his eating habits...

Any advice?

it has been about 4 days? Any advice?

If it's been 4 days I would be fasting him for 24 hrs. Give his gut a rest. Then introduce bland food gradually in very small portions 3-4 times daily.

Usually steamed chicken and rice are the go but if you suspect a chicken allergy with this pup too, substitute steamed fish, cottage cheese or very lean boiled minced beef.

Gradually increase the meat/fish and decrease the rice then start to gradually substitute some of the pup's normal diet.

Provide plenty of clean fresh water.

If the diahorrea persists after fasting, I'd be seeing the vet (or at least taking a sample in).

Good luck ST! :laugh:

My dogs eat like they haven't seen food for weeks. I give them lamb necks as they have meat on them as well as a bone that is big enough they can't just gulp it down so they actually get the benefit of chewing it. The bone is still also soft enough to do the cleaning but not break the dogs teeth!

You could get them sawn in half length ways too for while they are still pups. If I can't give lamb neck I give brisket bones for the same reason. I find some of the bigger dogs wll just devour a mutton flap in about 2 mouthfuls and that is a big chunk to get stuck