Chicken Necks

SparkyTansy

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to ask advice on feeding my pup chicken necks. He is 12 weeks today and last week i gave him some chicken necks for the first time. following the advice on DOL, I bashed them first and made sure i was there to supervise while i gave them to him... When i gave it to him, he picked it up chewed it maybe twice and then swallowed it... well it totally freaked me out! He didn't have a problem but i stopped giving them to him because i am afraid that he will choke! He loves his food and wolfs down his meals and i was hoping giving him necks would slow him down a bit...

I really want to keep giving him this type of thing but i am worried. My question is, should i change and give him something larger? Is he still too young to have frames. I would love some advice on what you would recommend...

Oh, he is an English Setter...

My older brother and his wife have the same problem with their little girl (Chi x Pom). They freeze two or three together and then give them to her frozen - that way she had to chew them because the bundle it too big to swallow.

You could try some of the larger chicken necks or even a turkey neck. Alternatively you can try chicken wings or chicken frames.

Edited by Tilly

I'd feed the necks whole without bashing them. The bones are small enough to be easily digested even if they do go down in one swallow. If he swallowed wings whole that might be a little more of a worry. Don't stop giving them, give necks whole and bash the wings a bit.

Or if you are still worried, use kitchen scissors to cut the necks into pieces and mix with his other food.

I've been a bit concerned too and was going to post.

I have the same problem with some of my dogs (Coolie crosses)who are gutsies. They take one bite then the neck gets swallowed whole. Defeats the purpose of helping to clean the teeth.

The Shelties and Collie chew them up ok.

I used to give carcasses then Dr Rob Zammit on the radio said he has seen too many problems caused by raw chicken bones and doesn't advise giving them to dogs at all (even necks and wings)!! :eek:

He says the only raw bones he recommends for all dogs are brisket. :):eek:

I must say, when I looked at the carcasses, some of the bones (although raw), looked pretty darned sharp. :eek:

Be interesting to hear other thoughts and in particular, from anyone currently working in the veterinary field. :eek:

My dog gets lamb shanks not chicken wings. Only the pup gets chicken wings.

A friend lost a young standard poodle which choked on a chicken wing :eek: .

I'd be interested to hear what people thought about different bones as well.

:)

Cyclone Bruno just handed me a few metres of chewed up polypipe :eek: . Will have to investigate the source ..

Thanks everyone for your replies...

I will try freezing them and see how we go... if he still tries to swallow them whole, i might try him on a carcass...

I have had trouble before with my other dog on any types of bones... sensitive stomach and allergy to chicken... i wanted to start this pup on something mild and chicken necks seemed the general consensus...

Someone, somewhere is always going to have a horror story about their dog becoming ill or dying from eating anything, raw/cooked, fresh/processed, dogs inhale dry food or raw, bone damages gut or bowel etc etc. The fact is, it happens.....but the risk is small. With common sense you can minimise the chances and provided you supervise your dogs while they eat you shouldn't have any major problems.

I feed chicken frames to my Toller and he does really well, but he has always been a slow eater.

My Stafford, I think, chews once then swallows necks. :)

ETA: Chicken frames are soft bones, the bird is so young, the bones might look sharp but they crush easily.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I'd also feed larger frames :rofl: My friend has setters and starts her pups on chopped chicken at 4 weeks and they are up to frames at 6 weeks. :D

My own little fluffies also get frames because they tend to hoover necks - the whole point is to clean their teeth! :)

Great post Haven :D

Bailey is great with chicken necks, chews them properly which is good but Chelsea swallows them whole and I had a bit of a scare with her choking on one..........I then gave them to her frozen, she still swollowed it whole and cried because it was cold going down her throat :D so she gets brisket bones, its just too scary with her.......

Mel

Many dogs are MORE likely to gulp food when being hand fed or when you are holding onto the food while they eat it, because they may see the situation as competative.

quite true, my previous and current dogs did the same, if I hold it for them, the gulped it down. Leave them alone and they savour it.