Does A Kong Work For Your Dog?

flycow

The first time I discovered a Kong (or kong typed rubber toys), I thought it's the most boring thing on earth. It stank and I assumed tasted bitter since it's hard rubber. Why would any dog like it I hadn't a clue.

There are various designs and boy they are expensive. I bought a big dental type in the shape of a dumbell, hollowed out. I used peanut butter and cream cheese but didn't get my pup interested. I put bikkies, icecubes, frozen kibbles etc and they only kept her occuppied for one minute. Now I discovered a new way of using it, stuffed with a big fat frozen chicken neck.

Does your dog have a kong?

How long does it kept him/her busy?

What do you stuff in kongs?

Let's share! :D

My boys have a kong but they aren't fussed with them.

They only chase them the "regular" kong when I bounce it on the ground and it goes off in another direction ... they get bored easierly and prefer squeaky toys.

Maybe kong should make squeaky kongs.

Orson and Oi likes peanut butter in theirs. I have put grated carrot and peanut butter before and they love it :) It doesn't keep them occupied for very long though, especially since they know it's so mummy and daddy are going to do something without them :D

The great thing is kongs dont have fluff and it's fairly easy to clean :D

It stank and I assumed tasted bitter since it's hard rubber

These ones don't stink - they smell yummmmmooooo :D And they come in cool colours not just your stand red or black.

Orbee Tough ORBO

My boy loves to play with it, full of treats or not :D

Thanks, will check it out. Do you know where can i find it besides online? I like to smell it first. :)

It stank and I assumed tasted bitter since it's hard rubber

These ones don't stink - they smell yummmmmooooo :rofl: And they come in cool colours not just your stand red or black.

Orbee Tough ORBO

My boy loves to play with it, full of treats or not :D

They look pretty nifty :) Now to save up again :D I wonder where most of my money goes some days *shoots daggers at Orson and Oi who's sleeping on my poof (ottoman) and couch*

Edited by kaywoman68

Orson and Oi likes peanut butter in theirs. I have put grated carrot and peanut butter before and they love it :) It doesn't keep them occupied for very long though, especially since they know it's so mummy and daddy are going to do something without them :D

The great thing is kongs dont have fluff and it's fairly easy to clean :D

how do you put grated carrot? Just stuff it full? Wouldn't that be too much carrot and too easy to get it out?

when i first bought a kong my guy had no interest in it at all (even when I put treats in it).

However, when I go out now I shove some of his treats in it and he lives to chew on it to get them out

You might want to try a treat ball

I have a treat ball but gotta find the right sized kibble/treats to put in it! :D I have two types of kibbles, one type is too big so I got to set the ball to quite a big hole and it all fall out easily. The second one is too small and doens't fall out easily, end up I set the hole bigger as well. Only last ten minutes each round! :)

our dogs love them, we use peanut butter and liver or their dry food and mix it all together, they also enjoy old soft drink bottles with some of their dry food in it...our border collie has now figured out how to open the bottles with his teeth so they dont last long with him but the other dogs have no idea and sit and chew them for a few hours!!!

I can't help wondering why ppl don't just use nice big meaty bones which would keep most dogs happy for hours, improve their teeth as well as nutrition (provided of course that they can't get at the marrow too quickly as when some butchers cut them lengthwise if you don't specify) and they're not that expensive. Some supermarkets actually sell dog bones cryopacked - large lamb leg bones with an amount of meat on the ends. :)

I can't help wondering why ppl don't just use nice big meaty bones which would keep most dogs happy for hours, improve their teeth as well as nutrition (provided of course that they can't get at the marrow too quickly as when some butchers cut them lengthwise if you don't specify) and they're not that expensive. Some supermarkets actually sell dog bones cryopacked - large lamb leg bones with an amount of meat on the ends. :banghead:

Hello snobbybobby, I do give meaty bones quite frequently but they are big, I don't have a big fridge. And if you have a dog that will chomp off most of a meaty bone in less than an hour and prone to put on weight, it can't be the everyday solution. I gotta give pup food rewards that can't be eaten too quickly thus a stuffed Kong (or marrow) :)

ETA: I usually give the full pork shoulder bones, haven't try lamb flaps or legs yet, will give it a go soon. Kongs are great as it doesn't dirty the floor as much as a bone.

Edited by flycow

I can't help wondering why ppl don't just use nice big meaty bones which would keep most dogs happy for hours, improve their teeth as well as nutrition (provided of course that they can't get at the marrow too quickly as when some butchers cut them lengthwise if you don't specify) and they're not that expensive. Some supermarkets actually sell dog bones cryopacked - large lamb leg bones with an amount of meat on the ends. :banghead:

Hours??? Wow I wish - Darce can demolish a lamb leg bone in about 20 mins. ;)

Empty a kong in way less than 5 mins.

Completely finish a so-called "long lasting chew" in 11 mins.

If anyone has ANY ideas for something that will last longer than 20 mins (other than dino bones) PLEASE let me know.... :) Must be low-fat/low-calorie!

Flycow - watch lamb flaps - they can be fatty. Lamb legs are good - them, beef ribs and dino bones are about the only bones Darce gets (another Jenny Craig candidate!)

how do you put grated carrot? Just stuff it full? Wouldn't that be too much carrot and too easy to get it out?

I mixed it with peanut butter to make it into a clump and just shove it in till it's full. Its to keep them occupied. I know it wont take them long to finish it considering they like peanut butter and carrot! :)

Edited by kaywoman68