Leads....

Alpha

Every one has a personal pref when it comes to leads, short, long, light, heavy or a vaiable depending on what you are doing with your dog.

I have had the same two hand made leather leads for over a decade, they are saddle soaped several times a year and wiped down with dubbin at least yearly. However, Lawson managed to snap one, just where the handle is a few months ago and I am unwilling to risk the other one ( the fellow who made them has passed away).

I was searching about and was surprised at the miriade of leads available. Personally, I like ( and need ) strong leather ones of 4 and 1/2 feet ( 138 cm). I use a light line of cord for off lead and recall training. But nothing else.

What do others like and what else is strong, durable and safe?

Yeah, I looked at them, too long for my liking and I LIKED them A LOT A friend has e mailed me an eBay shop who does them any length to 1500mm complete with complimentary embossing of dogs name. I will havea sticky beak there, I think. If I get one ... Never again will I have a lead nicked at a trial after a steward places it on the ringside table :)

How wide are the "climbing rope" style of lead,poodlefan? I am used to about 1/2 in thickness.

For general use i use K9 Forces leather leads, they are great and havent broke yet (Nova can break a lead if he decides he wants too lol) I think ive got the 6 ft ones, i do believe they come in 3-4 ft.

For training i use a much shorter lighter lead, just a cheapy one as its going to be wrecked any way.

Yeah, I looked at them, too long for my liking and I LIKED them A LOT A friend has e mailed me an eBay shop who does them any length to 1500mm complete with complimentary embossing of dogs name. I will havea sticky beak there, I think. If I get one ... Never again will I have a lead nicked at a trial after a steward places it on the ringside table :)

How wide are the "climbing rope" style of lead,poodlefan? I am used to about 1/2 in thickness.

K9Force's leads come in 4, 5 and 6 foot lengths Alpha - I'm getting the 13mm plaited black ones. :)

The climbing rope type ones come in two thicknesses and a range of lengths. The lighter ones (I have small dogs) are about 8mm and the wider nones would be about double that. I think they are made by Prestige Pets but don't quote me on that. They come in a great range of colours!! They do fade a little but last well.

I like having synthetic ones for the beach/water...

K9Force's leads come in 4, 5 and 6 foot lengths Alpha - I'm getting the 13mm plaited black ones. :)

The climbing rope type ones come in two thicknesses and a range of lengths. The lighter ones (I have small dogs) are about 8mm and the wider nones would be about double that. I think they are made by Prestige Pets but don't quote me on that. They come in a great range of colours!! They do fade a little but last well.

I like having synthetic ones for the beach/water...

I am off for another look at the K9 page to puruse ( read spend), I thought they were all same length as the Premium handlers leads. :) Thanks

I have a Y lead a friend made from doubling over and stitching a lunging lead I used for recalls once, she was on a creative/utility binge and it is wonderful takeing two to the beach/dam or just wet weather walks.

I love the Real Dog Equipment's Obedience Lead. With solid brass clips and a flat tube the lead is super strong. We use them for our security dogs - we used a leather version for many years but have now swapped to this one (much less maintenance).

I also use the Prestige Pet range of padded leads (the link is just the normal ones not the padded ones).

I have always used a 3 or 4 foot soft, flat webbing lead on my GSDs. 4 foot one when starting training, but I usually fairly quickly swap over to the 3 foot one as I find the 4 foot one tends to hang a bit too much once the dog is heeling in the right position. 3 foot lead always for trialling.

ATM I am using a soft nylon all in one martingale collar & lead on Jonty for both show & obedience, I havent actually measured it but I guess its about 3 foot as well, the only difference is that he's much smaller, so he cant wander as far away from heel position without it tightening up on him :) . I have bought a very fine choker & lead for showing, and I am going to have to change to something else for obedience as I will need to leave a collar on him in the ring once I start trialling I guess :) .

ETA - these are what mine are like, not the same, but very similar. Lovely & soft so they never hurt your hands, but the ones I have come in different colours.

http://www.prestigepetproducts.com.au/inde...sid=&uhash=

Edited by MrsD

I love the Real Dog Equipment's Obedience Lead. With solid brass clips and a flat tube the lead is super strong. We use them for our security dogs - we used a leather version for many years but have now swapped to this one (much less maintenance).

I also use the Prestige Pet range of padded leads (the link is just the normal ones not the padded ones).

Ouch, dont those cut your hands to pieces if the dog pulls it through your hand Tilly? :)

I got mine from the same place I got some horse leads/halters etc from - made out of 8 mm yacht braid in a range of colours. Cheap as, very quick service, and given its used for handling horses the dog has no chance of breaking it.... :) Mine was $10 plus postage.

post-9074-1157700840.jpg

http://www.lodgeropes.has.it/

They're not listed on their website but email them and they will send you details! :)

I think i have a lead for all occasions... :) everything from lil snub leads to lungelines :)

But i got some very nice ones from www.fordogtrainers.com - snub lead, police lead and basic 6foot lead.

I also find the rogzdogz leads brilliant...comfy to use, hard wearing, long lasting and very very strong! And there is a variety of types to choose from :rofl:

Ouch, dont those cut your hands to pieces if the dog pulls it through your hand Tilly? :thumbsup:

No - actually I haven't had any problems with them. The leather leads used to slip more then any other lead I have used.

I brought a beautiful tracking lead from Canine Outfitters - it is a pleasure to use. Even though my boys can pull like freight trains - I never had any trouble holding the line. I thought I would need gloves but I haven't even had so much as a slight friction burn.

I have just got myself a few 6 ft lupine leads, they are fantastic and have a lifetime guarantee - even for chewing. The greyhound rescue in Queensland have some going very cheap at the moment, search for Lupine in the rescue section.

Ouch, dont those cut your hands to pieces if the dog pulls it through your hand Tilly? :D

No - actually I haven't had any problems with them. The leather leads used to slip more then any other lead I have used.

Yeah, having had horses for years I know what you mean about the leather, I find it very slippery if it gets wet or if you have sweaty hands - not so good for training in summer or when you are at a trial & nevous as hell :thumbsup::rofl: .

Edited by MrsD

Very true Becky, the handles are great aren't they - this is the link if you want a great lead and to support Greyhound Rescue a the same time - http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...0&hl=lupine

Here is Chazer modelling one (I got his before I discovered the great deal from Layka so it is probably a different design to what is available)

IMGP1675.jpg

Who could possible do without 1 or 2 of these leads :thumbsup:

WOW :thumbsup: So many products and availiability from what I knew to be about ; can't seem to get my head away from using a leather lead though. I like them more than I thought. I did order one from an eBay store as I discoverd i was admiring one someone had and it is masterfully made, and as it has my dogs name of it will keep it for trials, I think. I really like the K9 ones too, am thinking my girl deserves a new lead too...any excuse to get two different ones :D I like the yacht rope idea...we used similar to tether the dogs in the back of the wagon when the door was open.

I cant go past leather for general walking leads. I have several that are 3/4 inch thick with brass bits so you can change the length of them. They are light and soft. They are actually ex guide dog leads. They have outlasted anything else i have ever used.

For training though, i use only light, thin webbed leads. I find thick or heavy leads get in the way when training.

I have to shamefully admit i have about 30 leads. I love them and cant resist buying unique ones when i see them.