Parvo

I think a parvo test would be positive for parvo - from the vaccination - up to 4 - 7 days from date of vaccination. Everyone has a different opinion. Mostly when you get a + for parvo following vac. you will find it is the vaccination which is causing the positive reaction. You will certainly get a positive result from a parvo test 3 days after vaccination (know, coz I've had one!!)

Yes, some of a litter cn be infected and some not. It seems to depend on the amount of maternal immunity each pup receives, and I believe - the "toughness" of each pup. It is quite common for some of a litter to be infected, just as the pup which seems to be the worst with parvo will survive, and the one which doesn't look too bad will suddenly die. And - the runty one which you expect to succumb survives, and the big strong healthy one dies.

If you have parvo, or think you have, my commiserations to you, and I'll cross all my fingers and toes, and do an LB, and light a few candles.

• 3 weeks later...

Nicole 76

sorry guys another question, once a pup has survived this, how long after would it be safe to get her desexed?

Depends on her age, and her condition. I would personally not do it for a month or two - just to be sure she was 100% well. I wouldn't have any operations done on any dog which was recovering from a major illness, accident etc.

I allow the rescues to settle in, and not be stressed before desexing - I realise that pounds, rescues etc. need to do it immediately, but I don't, so I do it when the dog feels at home.

And they have been eating each others poos, this couldn't be good for them, especially if they are still "sheeding".

Following recovery, they shed the virus for 2 weeks. I presume both have had parvo? If not, the one who hasn't had it is going to get it!!

Try to keep them confined, so the droppings don't spread parvo all over your yard and house. Vet. opinion varies from 2 - 10 years life of parvo virus in the ground.

I'd be worried about the poo eating. They may need a general vitamin/mineral supplement, as they may have a deficiency.

Did you save them all?

Yeah, 2 out of the 3 got it...The one that didn't has gone to her forever home and the other 2 are being kept in the puppy pen during the day and the bath room at night. Both survived.

They are both eating each others poo, and there own. I was reading that it could either be a vitamin/mineral supplement deficiency or they could be ill (with worms etc)

However, i dont want to worm them yet, cause he still doesn't seem to be 100%, where she is driving me insane.

They are due for another vac next week, is it safe to get them done seeing that they still have the virus?

Bec, I read on one of those sites you posted that they can get it again.

They can also be carries of the virus for their life (i read it on a website), and can shed for up to 6 months

My parvo pups that survived were quaranteened away from other dogs for 6 weeks and then blood tested 2 weeks after their vacc to see if they are carries, neither are luckily

I rehomed them both 8 weeks after they recovered to homes that know they had parvo

I would not be rehoming them until they tested negetive

Faecal sample and blood test, but better to talk to your vet

Just because the 3rd pup did not get parvo before does not mean that he could not get it from them now

My vet did not want to desex until they where 6 months, gave them time to recover

Send a PM to Cordelia (jacq) she would be the best one to ask

Just because the 3rd pup did not get parvo before does not mean that he could not get it from them now

I think he has already gone to another home, so he wont catch it from the 2 still with Nicole.

I don't think parvo recoverees do carry it all their life. Or if they do, they are not contagious. They would show high on a titre test. Vet opinion is that they shed the virus for 2 weeks following recovery, and this has been my experience. In that 2 week period, they can give parvo to others, afterwards, they don't.

Nicole, I would worm them both, and put them onto a supplement, depending on what you are feeing them. I personally wouldn't vaccinate them too soon either. They should have huge antibodies to parvo - but if they are not well, you risk them becoming ill from the other viruses they will be injected with. Parvo is the biggest problem - hepatitis and distemper are almost extinct now, so their chances of getting those are minimal. The boy may be off colour because he has worms.

Were they wormed regularly prior to contracting parvo? If so, it is less likely they will have worms

In theory, the amount of live virus in a vac. is minute, and supposed not to cause problems, but in fact, too many pups have become ill following vaccination for it to be as safe as touted by the manufacturers.

The 3 pups are being rehomed together, that is why I mentioned it

A website I was reading stated that dogs can become carriers of parvo after recovering from it, and pass it onto others for their life?? Scared me when I read it

There is so much conflicting information out there

Peibe that would scare me too! My cocker had parvo as a pup, not sure what tests my vet did after, I'm assuming his not a carrier though as none of my other dogs have ever got parvo. But geez its a scary thought that they can get it again :rofl:

I picked them up on the friday, saturday they were vacinated, tuesday they were sick.

I have had them nearly 4 weeks now, wormed them last night, and yes we had worms. When I got home from work, they both had very fat bellys yesterday.

there is alot of information on the net, if you worm a dog with parvo, it can make them sick.

They are due for their second vacination this saturday, but from what i hear and have read, if they have the virus, and they get the injection, it just makes them sick, and im scared that will happen again like the first time.

I will speak to the vet on Saturday, the new owners are meeting me there so we can ask the vet all the questions that we have.