How To Stop A Lab Digging?

nivia

Apart from spraying smelly stuff there are two good ways to keep your dog off the gardens.

Firstly, a dog pen/run to keep them off the plants

Secondly, an electric fence.

I have both of these, since I put up the electric fence, my garden has not been touched. I found out about electric fences from other DOLers discussions. They sound complicated and cruel but I put mine up in less than an hour. Both my dogs touched it once and have never touched it again. It has plastic posts which push in like garden stakes and can be moved around the yard to any area you want to protect. I highly recommend them. Before this I had given up on my garden but now I am planting again :rofl:

Do a search on electric fences and see how many dog owners have them :p

ETA:

Here is one link on a DOLer setting up the electric. Electric Fence

Edited by BellasPerson

Just reading this thread now and feeling better about my own lack of success trying to stop Minna from digging!!!!!! I've tried just about everything - poop in the holes, pepper and chilli powder, citronella and other 'keep off' products, you name it, all it does is make her dig somewhere else. She has her own sand pit that gets treats and bones for her to find but once she's found them it's off to somewhere else in the garden for another digging session. She has a home alone interactive toy, lots of bones/stuffed kongs and chewy toys to play with, gets walked off lead twice a day, and has another dog for company (hallelujah, Donnie does NOT dig!!!!). As far as doggy life goes, Minna has it pretty good. She just loves to dig. I've resigned myself to the fact I will not be getting any of my rental bond back. And when we finally buy our own place, a beautiful garden is not on the agenda!!!!!!!!!

Well Ammonia DIDN"T work. I wouldnt mind if I owned my house or if he was digging up plants but its new turff that hasnt even had a chance to take root because of the water restrictions. Its only in 1 spot. oh well, I will just have to look at getting him a sand pit he and Ashton ( 2 yr old son) can dig in there together.. LOL.

Nivia,

Hopefully the sand pit thing will work for you, will it be plastic? I am getting a plastic kinda sandpit and fill it with water. My pup just discovered she loves water, maybe that will keep her busy instead of digging.

If I have time to get the citronella soon, I'll update here if that works, but that will next week at least.

I vote for the dog run - it keeps my garden pretty safe, and the hoses are safe because they are either on top of the water tank or amongst the plants behind a dog wire fence.

Tango's run is on crushed rock and he is a digger too - and I just fill in the holes and rake it over when I come home...so far he's dug under the house slab :rofl: , under the firewood stacked along one wall, his water bucket, the outside lounge and the pallet and his kennel......

But he loves his shell full of water too!! and digs more in winter when his pond isn't there...spends more time in his pond as soon as the temp gets over 15°C than digging

[edited to add the last bit]

Edited by TangerineDream