Amstaff Puppy Limps

ILuvAmstaffs

I've been noticing that when Diesel wakes up, be it in the morning or after a power nap, he seems to limp a bit. Especially after having a zoomie attack around the doggy park.

I have checked all of his paws & pressed around all legs & can't seem to see or feel anything & he doesn't pull away as if sore to touch. :cry:

Could this be just a case of muscle stiffness after exercise, as it seems to get better as he moves around... or something more sinister that we should be having a vet look at?

He doesn't seem to be in pain when he moves around, as he can sometimes go from limping to running without any problems & is in extremely good health otherwise.

Any ideas? :)

When you go to the vet get them to check his patella (back legs knee joint in laymans terms), our SBT had luxating patella which he was very good at masking the pain from except after running around etc similar to what your describing. Good Luck and I hope everything turns out fine....

P.S are you coming to the Amstaff funday at castle hill on Sunday??

It might not be but it sounds like he has done what Eddie did, which is fractured his sesamoids in his paw

We took Eddie to the vet about it a few times and they all gave s a few different opinions, but when we got him xrayed it showed fractures in all sesamoids in his left paw

He had a few weeks of confinement (laundry only) and no off lead play for months, there is nothing much else you can do, oh we also rubbed comfrey gel into his paw every day and he now gets glucosamine with his dinner

I felt so mean confining him, buyt on the times when I let him run anyway and he would pull up limping after a aleep I felt even worse

It might not be, but the symptoms are very similar, pm me if you like :cry:

When you go to the vet get them to check his patella (back legs knee joint in laymans terms), our SBT had luxating patella which he was very good at masking the pain from except after running around etc similar to what your describing. Good Luck and I hope everything turns out fine....

P.S are you coming to the Amstaff funday at castle hill on Sunday??

Hi Mel,

I was intending to come. We aren't entered, but thought it would be a great chance to meet some amstaff people. Mark & I were both looking forward to seeing lots of other amstaffs. Was going to email you later.

Not 100% sure now though if we should bring him out or give him some rest... Will decide after we see the vet. Unfortunately that won't be until 2mrw afternoon or Saturday morning, as he is at mum & dads while Im at work (they live in Whalan & Im at Sutherland)....

I think it's one of his front legs, as that seems to be one that limps, but its hard to tell... I had noticed it a little bit last week after he had been playing & then had a sleep & went to get up, then limped very slightly for a minute or so until he warmed up, then looked fine. But we went to the dog park where he zoomed around with the other doggies for about an hour the other night & after his snooze, he was limping quite badly. But again, once he was moving around for a while, it wasn't noticable...

Will let you know how he goes....

OMG Shoemonster, that sounds like what has happened to Diesel. Although I haven't been able to find a sore spot on his legs, there was 1 toe nail that I touched & he jerked his foot away, as if he didn't want me touching it. I just thought that he had stubbed the nail, but now that I think about it, it was the toe that he didnt want me to touch...

Atleast it gives me somewhere to start when describing it to the vet!

MelG, can you recommend a vet out your way??? We usually go to the one on Woodstock Ave, but he has given wrong diagnosises in the past & seems very scalpel happy. :cry:

Lee

Don't stress too much :cry:

I would advise going for an xray sooner though, as we stuffed around for a while before we got one

Some dogs are calm enough to take the xray awake, but others need to be put under, our vet only put him under for a minute or so, just to get the picture (is it twilight or something?)

Guys, good news on the limping front...

Mum was having another look over Diesel last night and found these lumps on his paws and legs, on further inspection they seemed to have a black seed like thing half sticking out of them, so she used her finger nails and scratched the seed like things out & disinfected them and Diesel is hardly limping at all today!

Wwwwoooohhhoooooo. :thumbsup: :D :)

But we are still going to pay the vet a visit just incase.....

Mum was having another look over Diesel last night and found these lumps on his paws and legs, on further inspection they seemed to have a black seed like thing half sticking out of them, so she used her finger nails and scratched the seed like things out & disinfected them and Diesel is hardly limping at all today!

:):) I am glad to hear that! Boy, they can really give us a fright, cant they.

:):) I am glad to hear that! Boy, they can really give us a fright, cant they.

Sure can. ;) But hats because we love our furkids, so its ok! :D

Like I said though, I am still going to have him checked out, just to be sure....

Hi guys, we have just taken Diesel to the vet & it seems he is REALLY in the wars. He has pain when pressed, in both front knees, 1 sesamoid & his back right hip, plus a bit of localised swelling.

The vet thinks it could just be strained ligaments from racing around like a nutter but could also be dislodged growth plates. So he is booked in for x-rays on Tuesday under sedation and they will also minipulate all of his joints to see if they find anything.

God, I feel like the worst pet owner, letting this happen to him. But who would know that a case of the zoomies could lead to this?

Anyway, if you could all keep your fingers, toes, eyes & everything else crossed for him on Tuesday, it would be much appreciated! Will keep you updated as to the out come.

:confused: Lee