Trick Of The Week 8/3 - 15/3

whatevah

Teach Your Dog to Walk Backwards

Uses - dog can now walk backwards to get out of your way, doggy dancing movement, can lead to more advanced doggy dancing moves

Equipment - chairs, or hallway, treats, and or clicker

Methods - Food only method

1. Start with your dog and you standing and facing each other. Dog is off lead and in a hallway. Or you can set up some chairs to make a narrow chute. We want the dog to learn to walk backwards in a straight line.

2. Take a small step towards your dog and he should move backwards, if not take another little step. Don't say anything. give him a reward, give the reward low enough so he does not confuse it with a sit signal but not too low that he thinks he has to drop.

3. I then take a step backwards myself so that the dog comes forwards and we set up to do another trial.

4. Do this about 10 times, then add the word "back" and start saying "Back" before you move toward the dog. Once the dog has the idea he should start moving back, before you move toward him. I also introduce a hand signal, which is both of my hand at my sides, at waist height moving together with my palms facing outwards.

5. Now gradually increase the number of steps that the dog takes backwards before rewarding him. If the dog starts to go crooked, you have pushed him too far and need to back up a step. It takes a while for the dog to get co-orindated. I used the two lines of chairs forming a chute for quite a while.

Once the dog has moved backwards a couple of steps you always then move backwards yourself, to set up another trial, as the dog gets the idea move backwards more yourself.

Clicker Method -

Same method as above, except as the dog moves backwards you click and treat.

Toy motivated dogs -

You teach the beginning steps using food, then start to use toys instead, when the dog moves backwards, he is rewarded with a game of catch using a toy, but you still have the chute set up.

Advanced -

You can add in a spin, then back, or a catch then back for another catch.

I have also taught my dog to do a stand, I then move behind him and say back, and he walks backwards through my legs. But this is very advanced and the dog must know the back command with you at his side, with you in front of him, and you behind him first. You then have the dog a few more paces in front of you before you say back and increase the distance. You also need to teach the dog to move forwards through your legs first so he is comfortable with going through your legs.

Good, my dogs already know the *move* and Kaiser knows the *back up* command.. I will set this up as a more formal command now.. thanks. :mad

Sounds rather easy, can you add anything extra to it? Such as a left or right signal as well? As in move back left/right etc...?

;)

(might be helpful in doggy freestyle too)

Have you tried leaving the dog in a wait while standing, then stand behind the dog and say back, and get the dog to walk backwards through your legs? Then start leaving the dog further and further away, till it can do it from across the room? This is an advanced move only to be done when the dog know the command back really well. You can try getting the dog to go back whilst at your side, as well. With one of my dogs I when I hold my hand up I get him to curve left and curve right.

Ooh sounds good, will try it on my Groen. The Mally needs to learn the *back* first, then I will see how we go.

Thankies :wave:

My boy is great with hand signals.. even though he is half blind he always seems to get what Im saying. Also I whisper commands to him when we're out on a walk, and he is so funny, he looks at me and stays glued to my side listening intently... I used to cheat at dog obedience club by whispering to him *shhshhshhshhshh* and he knew that meant I would *treat* him... :mad

So if he walked too far in front of me at the heel, he would quickly slip back right next to my leg.... :whip:

I wasn't allowed to use dog treats in those days, so it came in quite handy... :love: Especially since he was randomly rewarded, I didn't have to give him anything during the lesson... :worship:

Now I wonder if I can teach the *back* move to my cats? They keep walking in front of the computer screen while I'm typing.... ;)

I teach my dogs to walk backwards in the hall.

I keep them on a leash and have them pretty close to a wall then progress to a fence etc.

I heel them forwards, and then walking backwards with my voice cue "back up" with ever so slight corrections making sure that my leading leg is correctly placed. The second a backwards step is achieved they are rewarded. The most important thing is to keep movement (fowards). Do not start at a sit initially.

Edited by Lablover

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sarah_dobbo2

I have taught my dog Kayzer to go back though he is not the best at it. He is still just a young dog, and I don't think he has alot of confidence in doing it yet, but it does come in handy when they are in the way and you are carrying a heavy washing basket...

What else can I teach him to doo. I would like to teach him something different... something that will be a changelle for me, and him.

Sarah :rofl:

Yes well enthusiasm isn't the only thing needed. :D

And it's not just my enthusiasm that seems to be causing so much difficulty with this trick. My dogs just seem way too hyped up???

They are doing it, walking backwards between two crates, but only in short bursts and only between the crates, I will try with the chairs see if that makes a difference. As soon as they are back through the crates they turn left or right and they don't do it with their head too far forward. That is, if I call them through forward and start moving towards them and they come too far forward when I start heading them off again they kinda bolt all the way through and behind me.

Ok. :rofl: I just reread the method. I think I have definately gone way too fast. One step one step one step one step one step one step backwards, just trying to cement that into my adled brain. My dogs are definately way hyped up too.

What I'll do: get them standing in front of me between the crates (maybe chairs, though the crates do the job, hallway is no good) nice and calm. Then take one step forward, towards them. I reckon they will go back one step no problems rather than the possibility of sitting. Then reward. Nice and calm.

I am being too impatient :o:)

Super Hyped Up Sam and Co.

Hi, I taught Tilly this a while back by luring - with a clicker, one or 2 steps to begin with. We learnt it in class so didn't have the luxury of making a coridor.

the lure was simply from the nose down toward and back toward the bottom of the dogs chest if that makes sense. She quickly got the idea and I didn't need to lure long, just waited until she took a step back, then she gradually took more steps back.

• 2 months later...