Aggression ...

Is biting a person the last straw ?

Would the next step be putting the dog down or would it depend upon the degree of the bite/wound ?

Just after people's thoughts/opinions on this...

Edited by Hazz

I think that for me, biting is the last straw.

That being said it would depend on the reason for the dog biting - was it provoked? Is it biting out of fear? is it dog agressve(did the dog bite another dog) or is it just plain agreessive?

To all of the above i would probably consider having a dog put down. If i didnt breed the said dog, I would contact the breeder and discuss options.

I currently have a bitch at home, whom we got when she was 9 months old. (she is now 11 months)

She has NEVER bitten anyone or even gone to snap, but she is a a frequent growler! It drives me crazy becasue most of the time she wags her tail when she does it! GRR GRR - However, if she was to EVER bite someone she would be out the door and on a plane back to her breeder.

I have a house full of other dogs and small children, and i simply cant house a dog that I couldnt trust. As harsh as it sounds, thats the reality for us.

cheers

The dog belongs to someone I know, it's well trained and has dog aggression issues. I can understand it's very protective of it's owner but has bitten people it thinks are inflicting on it's owner's space (those it thinks could be harmful to it's owner ?). The bites themselves are not deep, but I think if provoked the dog could do damage.

The same dog has played with children (owner's niece/nefews under supervision) and has never displayed any aggression.

I've talked to the owner and have suggested maybe putting down the dog but I understand that they are extremely attached to the dog.

I just wanted to know what others think so I can show the replies to the owner.

I don't think it is as black and white of PTS or not though.

Facing facts, if they do not take the dogs aggression seriously they may one day not have the choice and also have to live with the guilt of what their dog has done if he/she seriously hurts someone.

If they are willing to accept the seriousness of the issue and work on it while making 150% sure this dog doesn't even get close to having the opportunity to bite anyone ever again, that is their call...but they should be well aware that they are responsible if the dog does bite again.

I have many clients whose dogs have bitten before- dog or human and contact us for assistance. Euthanasia should be a last resort after consultation with a professional. However, although most issues can be rectified/ managed, the question needs to be asked- is this an appropriate home for those issues to be worked with/ managed? For instance if a dog has an aggression issue that is somehwat unpredictable to the owners and they have small children- that may not be an safe home to work with the issue and euthanasia may be an option.

Not too long ago i had to make this choice

We got a 'rescue'...we'd had her for about 6months she was about 13-15 months old, she'd always been mouthy and prone to nipping, very very dominant dog. Anyway i worked with her on obedience and she was starting to come good

'Til the day we (myself and my two kids) were out the back playing fetch with her and my male dog, we'd been playing for ages, all happily. All of a sudden she came running at me full tilt, i thought she was coming for a pat, but she wasnt, she leapt at me, she grabbed my breast, when i yelled at her 'no', she dropped to the ground, then she came back at me again and again, i had to hold her off with my foot, while i reached for a piece of poly pipe to give her a whack with. finnaly she went and stood a distance away, and i rounded up my kids and took them inside. When i came back outside she was still quite elevated but no more launching attacks thankfully.

I agonized over what to do for hours, deciding that if she had've taken on one of the kids like that, they would have been seriously hurt or worse. As it was i was sporting a gash about 8cm long and my breast was seriously bruised. I made the decision to surrender her to be pts.

All i could think of was her at full grown weight doing what she did to me...very very scary thought

Edited by Alasse

Depending on the circumstances of the bite...

If a dog of mine bit, lunged at, attacked a person or myself for no reason then Sorry Mate but GOODNIGHT. I own an amstaff (will have more in the future) and there is something seriously wrong if that is what he is doing and I would no tolerate it. I couldnt put someone at risk like that.

On the other hand, if my dog bit someone who was physically threatening myself or my home then I'd give him a treat and say "Well Done".

In the end it really is all dependent on circumstances I believe

Edited by Ruffles

The people the dog has bitten are known to the dog, ie family/friends. They have never actually tried to hurt the owner but may have been percieved by the dog to be a threat ? :thumbsup:

For example; the owner was sitting down on the couch with dog sitting beside the couch close to the owner. Male friend of the owner was walking briskly up to the owner, arms moving around at his sides, dog jumps forward barking and bit him on the arm - grazed the skin off in a straight line around 4cm long.

Edited by Hazz

The people the dog has bitten are known to the dog, ie family/friends. They have never actually tried to hurt the owner but may have been percieved by the dog to be a threat ? :thumbsup:

For example; the owner was sitting down on the couch with dog sitting beside the couch close to the owner. Male friend of the owner was walking briskly up to the owner, arms moving around at his sides, dog jumps forward barking and bit him on the arm - grazed the skin off in a straight line around 4cm long.

That to me is definately not acceptable behaviour in any dog

Maybe an assessment from a professional would take some of the emotion out of it?

Guess like others have said, it depends on what else is going on in the dog's life. Maybe if this was a once off incident then it could be explained away. e.g. some one pats a sound asleep dog and the dog, completely startled into wakefulness, bites. Is that the dog's faulty? I don't think so.

But behaviour that is showing a pattern certainly seems cause for concern, especially if the dog's owners are not worried.

I'd also like to see what the owner of the dog is doing at the time of the incidents....sometimes handlers inadvertently send signals and unknowingly encourage and reward the wrong behaviours....kind of like tightening leads on leash aggressive dogs can send the signal to the dog that 'yes, this is a threat' when the handlers real intention is to have a good close hold on the dog so that it can't lunge at another dog...can be a catch 22.

K9: Of course biting isnt the last straw, dogs have very few ways of communicating, many people are ignorant to the more subtle ways but will always react to a bite, so what options do many dogs have..

I could get any dog to bite me, & I cant get just about any dog to not bite me....