Itchy Shar Pei!

Anguswift

For Hot Spots and Itching

Boil 1½ cups of water, remove from heat. Add 2 teaspoons oatmeal, 1 teaspoon chamomile, 1 teaspoon calendula flowers and 1 regular tea bag (Lipton type); let steep until cool. Strain through doubled cheesecloth. If you do not have the herbs, use 1 cup of water. Spray the affected area as often as needed.

- - - - - -

Hot Spots

Hot spots can lead to serious illness in dogs. They can be caused by allergies to chemicals, food, fleas and other substances, but fleas seem to be a primary source. This recipe has proven effective for many dogs suffering from Hot Spots.

3 capsules Sage

¼ teaspoon Epsom Salts

2 cups of Water

Combine all ingredients and bring this all to a boil.

Cool to room temperature and then strain out the powdered Sage.

Store in a 2-cup spray bottle or jar in the refrigerator to keep fresh.

Spray or wipe on hot spots, insect bites, or any other skin abrasions as many times a day as possible. It heals in about 3 days, and you should begin to see some hair regrowth in a little over a week.

---------

Summer Skin Itch - Healing

For promoting hair growth, healing sore skin, and as a Anti-Itch Solution.

1 teaspoon of apple cider (brown)

10ml of Colloidal Silver (anti-fungal/virus/bacteria)

approx. 20 drops of calendula tincture

Put into a empty 1 litre spray bottle, then fill with distilled water. Spray on affected areas 3 x daily. Use half the dosage mix if using a smaller spray bottle or bowl.

----------

Skin Allergies

Are actually signs of zinc deficiencies. Buy the Chelated Zinc 10mg Tablets and crush the tablet & mix into daily meals. Elderly cats and dogs benefit this mineral in their daily regular meals, along with digestive enzyme tablet (crushed). Change diets to a all natural preservative free one. That means no more commercial dog biscuits or tin foods. The less toxic chemicals and drugs the healthier your pet will stay. Many Dogs are allergic to the foods (commercial) Also avoid pasta, rice, carrots, yeast, corn, wheat, beef, oats. These are some of the more common food allergens (all commercial foods have wheat, corn and preserves, poor quality artificial meat and flavourings ).

----------

Irritated Skin

500 ml Sorbolene, add 100 ml tea tree oil, mix well and apply as often as required.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/skinremedies.htm

My Shar Pei pup has had a terrible itch lately. I know it's part and parcel of Shar Pei ownership, and it's the season for it, but I want to give him some relief.

Any products out there people can recommend to help my little boy?

Part and parcel of Shar Pei ownership is not an itchy dog, I know alot of people say they have skin issues but it normally comes back to incorrect feeding

Firstly

How old is the pup?

Has the pup been vet checked for mites?

What do you feed the pup?

What are you bathing the puppy in?

What grass do you have in your yard?

What flea products are you using?

Shar Pei skin is 87% more like a cat than a dogs, they need a low protein diet. Answer the questions above and I might be able to advise some help

If your puppy has demodex, they will need treatment at a vet

How old is the pup? 6 months

Has the pup been vet checked for mites? Yes, twice

What do you feed the pup? Wheat bix for brekkie, Pedigree Chicken puppy food with Supercoat puppy dry

What are you bathing the puppy in? We've tried an Aloe Vera shampoo, and a generic puppy shampoo

What grass do you have in your yard? Spidergrass and some broad leaf weeds

What flea products are you using? None, he doesn't have fleas, we're sure of that, checked by vet and regularly checked by us

You are feeding a diet high in carbohydrate, a dog's GI tract isn't designed to deal with large amounts of cereal and some dogs may react to it. I would ditch the Wheat Bix and the canned food and upgrade your dry to a more expensive brand with less fillers. I won't advise you what else to feed as I don't have Shar Pei and someone like peibe will be better able to advise you.

How old is the pup? 6 months

Has the pup been vet checked for mites? Yes, twice

What do you feed the pup? Wheat bix for brekkie, Pedigree Chicken puppy food with Supercoat puppy dry

What are you bathing the puppy in? We've tried an Aloe Vera shampoo, and a generic puppy shampoo

What grass do you have in your yard? Spidergrass and some broad leaf weeds

What flea products are you using? None, he doesn't have fleas, we're sure of that, checked by vet and regularly checked by us

OK, I will try and help.

This is what I use and my Shar Pei have beautiful healthy coats.

My male is allergic to fleas and red meat. Supercoat make my dogs itch

I deal with alot in Shar Pei as I am a breed rescuer in NSW, most of the pei I get in have skin problems

Pei are not your average dog, China does not support a beef industry and as such a Shar Pei needs a white meat diet

My dogs get Advance Turkey and Rice for breakfast, seeing as your puppy is only 6 months I

would recomend Advance Puppy Growth. I go through a 13kg bag costing $80, every 3 weeks, but I am feeding 10 dogs

I feed chicken, pork and turkey. Mince and necks, wings etc and fish

Say something like this

I have 4 meals and they alternate, they get the required amount of dry food everyday for breakfast

Meal 1:

Tuna and Rice, puree veges

Meal 2:

Chicken pieces, eggs, shell and all

Meal 3;

Pork or Turkey with puree veges

Meal 4;

Chicken mince, puree veges, kelp powder

Once a week I add Megaderm to their meals, it is high in Omega 3 and 6. Once a week I will also add a fish based tin of cat food to their breakfast dry food

I recommend Fido's soap free shampoo as a good one, about $10 from Produce shops

I only wash them once every 3 weeks and rince really well as the soap goes inbetween their rolls and irritates

I add Apple Cidar Vinegar to their water aswell

The grass and fleas are not a problem

When I get an itchy dog in I will give them a good bath in a Shampoo called Pyohex. Put them straight on a Advance Dry food diet for breakfast. Night time they will get a Chicken and Rice diet only 1-2 weeks to settle their system. Every night I add Megaderm as this puts oils back into their coats

Then I slowly introduce veges and the rest mentioned above

I hope this helps your baby feel better and please tell me his name and post photos if you can

Not enough of pei owners and lover on DOL :rainbowbridge:

What a pretty chocolate boy, nice eyes

He is lovely

What breeder advised that diet? Are they registered?

That makes me really mad when you brought a dog and are only trying to do what the breeder told you to do and they are wrong

Goodluck with everything and let me know how it goes

ETA to add

I get my chicken mince from Slick Chicks for 60 cents per kilo, shop around for cheap pricing in your area, pet mince not human grade

Edited by peibe

What a pretty chocolate boy, nice eyes

He is lovely

What breeder advised that diet? Are they registered?

That makes me really mad when you brought a dog and are only trying to do what the breeder told you to do and they are wrong

Goodluck with everything and let me know how it goes

ETA to add

I get my chicken mince from Slick Chicks for 60 cents per kilo, shop around for cheap pricing in your area, pet mince not human grade

Well his eyes had better be good after the money we've paid out for surgery :rainbowbridge:

Who did eye surgery? Are you talking about eye taking or entropian surgery? If he has had entropian your vet is naughty. A Shar Pei does not have a fully grown head until they are 2 years old or so, eye surgery should not be done until they are one year old

All chicken mince, bones food is raw

Tuna, homebrand tin tuna in springwater from the supermarket, about $1.90 a large tin

Veges, carrot, zucchini, pototo, sweet potato, pumpin, squash, beetroot, watermelon, apple, pear. No onion ever

Megaderm and Phyhex I buy from Pet Stock or Dollar Save, pet produce shops. You can get them from the vet but they are much more expensive

Kilsyth Vet

He had 2 tackings then a top lid entropian on both eyes.

According to the breeder he is the best shar pei vet in Melbourne.

I guess we didn't have a choice, because his lids were so bad, there was no other choice. Tacking wasn't making a lasting impression.

They are supposed to be good Shar Pei vets, the problem with doing it earlier than 1 year is when his head fills out properly it will stretch his eye lids bigger and he will end up with pockets that dirt can get into

Tacking is hard sometimes. I had a rescue that I had tacked 6 times until she was one and could have surgery

The Nutro Lamb and Rice is good too as badboyz said but it makes my dogs fart lol, and Zephyr who is allergic to red meat, itches on the Nutro

I just saw the pic before surgery, poor baby, I can see why the vet did surgery

I wish people would stop breeding Shar Pei with entropian, it should be something that is being breed out of them

He is a pretty little bugger though, is he really naughty?

On the contrary, he is a well behaved angel, I couldn't have hoped for a better dog :rainbowbridge:

He has always been housetrained, sleeps well, plays well, but never chews up anything that isn't a toy. We've trained him ourselves, he's very obedient and is quick to learn new tricks if a treat is on offer.

The only thing I could complain about is his overzealous attitude toward walking. He loves it, but pulls on the lead a bit. He's getting better though.

His eyes were shocking poor boy :rainbowbridge: peibe I was just wondering when you can tell if a Shar Pei is going to develop entropian. Would the breeders have had any idea when they sold the puppy at (I presume) 8 weeks old? If not at what age do you begin to notice that a dog has a problem? Is it very widespread within the breed?