Lite Dog Food For My Fatties

imy

I don't know if this will help you, but your brekkie sounds fine- the dinner is much too much. Ziggy gets about 500gm meat/veg mix all up for dinner and he is still a pup. If it was me I'd cut the rice and pasta altogether, plus cut dry at dinner time and use it only for brekkie.

I have read somewhere that to reduce weight without cutting volume you can substitute pureed pumpkin for half their meal? Not 100% sure I haven't tried it.

So only 500g of meat and a cup of veggies ONLY for dinner???? :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: oh Imy you make me laugh!!!!

We are currently feeding 6 dogs at our place, a Maltese, a JRT, a Min Pin X, a wolfhound X pup and two greyhounds. We have plenty of food for them by feeding (once a day only for adults :thumbsup: ) on a variety that is made up as follows....

If it is chicken carcass night they get the appropriate amount for them, ie Bart gets 4, the JRT gets 1, same with other RMBs.

When it is the raw mix we use 2kg of chicken (pet) mince from Lenards, 3 small bunches of Bok Choy (or similar), 3 carrots, 2 apples (all smooshed through the food processor), 2 eggs and 2 tins of sardines - alternate eggs with heart/liver/kidney type meat. This delightful combination is all mixed together and dished out into their bowls with Bart getting the most and the little dogs the least - there is always enough left over for the cats as well.

They are all looking fantastic, in fact we've just decided to cut down on the small dogs amounts as they are getting fat. I think it is all down to the amounts Imy - sorry!!!

Edited by Trisven13

I have read somewhere that to reduce weight without cutting volume you can substitute pureed pumpkin for half their meal? Not 100% sure I haven't tried it.

When any of my dogs need to lose weight, I feed them half the quanity of lite dry food and replace the other half with mashed pumpkin. The pumpkin fills them up.

Imy

My boy was 33kg when he was racing, He was a lot lighter when we got him - about 28. I weighed him the other day and he is about 31. The vet said he is fine, and looked race condition - which is how i like them to look (they are still ripped - even tho my girl never made the cut as a racer). They aren't starving by any means (although they will tell you they are)

They get 1.5 cups each of eukanuba each morning and night. They get bits and pieces here and there, depending on what we are eating for dinner. They usually get leftovers (if they are safe for them)

If they had their way they would eat 10 cups a day - they are greedier than the labs i used to have a few years ago. They seem to maintain their weight well, so that suits us

For your guys I would mabey cut the meat in half, unless it is low fat, and trim down the kibble a bit. Pad it out with veges, but of course, not potatoes or sweet potatoes (trying to remember from my weight watchers books). If you mix the veges in with the meat they will just eat it and think it is meat. Well, mine would cos they scarf it so fast.

I had to get my lab down 4 kgs years ago, i cut her food in half. It was very hard, she was down to about 2/3 cup twice daily, but we did it. She was none worse for wear. We increased her exercise as well ( i was training for a half marathon) so she lost it in about 2-3 months.

Good luck, i know how tough it can be to cut back their food. Dont feel like you're depriving them, that doesnt help - think it of adding a couple of years onto their lives.

They'll be okay.

I just fed them. 1/2 cup of kibble (which I'll change to lite kibble when I get to the store)

1/2 cup veg and

300g meat each

I also smooshed it over the bottom of the dish so they'd have to lick around to get it out, instead of eating great lumps quickly.

They will be fine. Its me you'll have to worry about, I'll be feeling down and out for a few weeks because I can't spoil them as much as I want to :thumbsup:

Maybe more cuddles will make up for it :thumbsup:

Another idea Imy, is with their kibble, put it in their bowl and fill it over the top with water. Not necessarily to soften it, but to slow them down, and have them take in more water (which isnt a bad thing in summer) and makes them feel fuller. good idea about smooshing the meat on the bottom of the bowl.

Chin up, you're doing it for them. dont feel bad and i'm sure the extra cuddles will help.

Well, their dry food was cut by 1/2 cup last night and I only gave them 1/2 this morning instead of a full cup too :cool:

I feel like a meanie.

I have to do it when OH isn't here because he thinks they are fine. Lucky I'm the one in charge of feeding everyone... or unlucky... they wouldn't have gotten in this state in the first place if I wasn't feeding them! :):rofl:

I'll have to post an updated pic in a couple of weeks won't I?

Do you think cutting back a cup of dry food (the regular stuff, not the lite or working dog stuff) will be sufficient to see results?

They are now on:

1/2 cup of dry food for breakfast :mad

1/2 cup of dry, 1/2 cup of veg and <500g pet mince for dinner

Imy, unless you're brutal like me, you will slowly see results. For fast results you need to be brutal and there is no way you will do that :cool: .

We had a very overweight dog come into care down here, a beagle X ACD. The foster carer always left dry food out for their dogs so, even though they reduced her servings, she still didn't lose any weight. After a few months she came here and I was SAVAGE. She was fed once a day and fed the same amount as my terriers - within a month she looked like a different dog and was MUCH happier. Her new owners met her for the first time and commented on how fat she was :) I couldn't help but laugh as she had been so much fatter to start with. When she first came out of the pound I called her Jenny Craig :rofl: . She is now a lean mean fighting machine who walks for an hour plus every day and swims in the lake at Yarrawonga. She was much fatter (even taking breed differences into consideration) than your dogs though Imy!!!

No need to be brutal! :):rofl:

Perhaps, once a week, you could replace the pets mince with a piece of roo tail. It is low fat, has a heap of meat on it, and takes them a while to eat it - which means they feel "fuller" - and it's great for the teeth.

The ones I get come three to a one kilo pack for $2.50. So one per meal is about right.

:cool:

I'd love to swap to roo but this is a small town, the butchers don't stock it and the nearest OTHER butchers is 100kms away :cool:

I think I'll continue with the cup of dry less and see what happens. If it doesn't work after a few weeks, I'll switch to lite food... and if THAT doesn't work, they'll get less again. :)

They still came up for lovey cuddles today after I got home from work so they still love me :rofl:

1/2 cup of pellets, 1/2 cup of veg and a fist sized blob of meat tonight. :thumbsup:

We all did a bit more exercise too. I tied a stuffy to a string and ran around while they tried to get it. PHEW! I'm stuffed. They seem happy enough.

Is it silly to say I think the results are showing already? I see ONE rib!.............Sometimes :thumbsup: